Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I know there is another topic on washing the i10, but I seem to struggle with getting in the thin strips of the alloys when cleaning.... any advice?

·
Registered
111 Posts
They aren't easy at all to clean and the brakes seem to throw off a lot of dust too. I have a wheel brush but that won't get in the thin strip so just been using a sponge squeezed together and it seems to work. Also thought of a rag wrapped round a toothbrush handle (wish I also have in my bucket) and might try that next time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi DamianP.
I started the last post on cleaning the alloys. I have mastered it now and i do the following.

1. Spray the wheels with clean water i.e. hose or pressure washer
2. spray the wheels 1 ata time with autuglym alloy wheel cleaner (mix with equal parts water to make i go further) and leave for 1 min
3. using a wet sponge clean the alloys using the cleaner that is on the wheel. when done rinse well with clean cold water
4. work your way round the car 1 wheel at a time
5. wash your car as per normal ( i use all in shampoo & wax)
6. dry the car with shammy and wax if needed
7. dry each wheel with an old shammy
8 using a clean yellow duster or other clean cloth use autoglym alloy sealer (i find this stops the break dust sticking to the alloys) just follow the instructions and dont spray directly onto the wheel as you MUST NEVER GET THIS STUFF ON EITHER THE BREAK DISCS OR PAD)
9. stand back and look at all your hard work gleaming
10. if the black bits on the bumpers are getting a bit offy autoglym do a vinal and rubbr cleaner that is quite good

I know I sound like i work for autoglym but i know the name and have used their stuff for years and at *alfords is buy 2 get 1 free so its good value :grin:

also tried the alloy brush but went back to the cut up sponge to get in all the nooks of the wheels

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't use the acidic wheel cleaners like Autoglym very often, they will strip the lacquer off the alloys in no time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can try using coke. I would never drink it but phosphoric acid makes it good cleaner for some alloys wheels.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know Autoglym wheel cleaner can do some damage thats why I water it down 50/50 . makes it go further and helps prevent any damage

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, i use car plans's wonder wheels, it comes with an applicator brush that fits nicely into the little gap and it works quickly it is quite an acidic cleaner but aren't most alloy cleaners :puzzled:

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have the time, once the wheels are clean - you can remove them, one at a time and carefully spray silicone sealant (available cheapest from Screwfix) on the alloy surface. This will do exactly the same job as the Autoglym sealant (wouldn't be too surprised if it were the same stuff) and leave a very slippery surface on the metal - hence the brake dust will build up less easily. Given that the silicone must never be on the brake discs / pads - with the wheel removed this is a safe option, wheel dry, back on and so on etc... I painted the steering track rods and the hub sections (that rust) - with hammerite smooth paint as well as the brake calipers and the outer edge of the discs; nice shiny flame red matches the car colour. Whilst so doing - the alloy wheels each got a spray; result little debris build up and nice red brakes, no rusting hubs and years of less hassle through no corrosion. It's a weekend's work mind!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts