Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ElantraGT 2013. Having trouble again with driver side screen-washer jet. Weak flow now stopped. Have replaced this jet twice and don't want to do it again! Tube to jet is clear when I use compressed air and water trickles out of jet, but not when the pump in the car is used.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,846 Posts
Try using compressed air to blow into the jet from the outside or backwards with the hose off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It might be a good idea for somebody to tell me why after some time the left side keeps blocking even when it is replaced with new jet and tube (twice), when it should be at the same liquid pressure as the other side, as it is connected by a simple T-junction?

·
Registered
786 Posts
It might be a good idea for somebody to tell me why after some time the left side keeps blocking even when it is replaced with new jet and tube (twice), when it should be at the same liquid pressure as the other side, as it is connected by a simple T-junction?
Because you're not using distilled water/premixed purchased washer fluid? I'm not sure, you're the one with the problem. The forums are just here to offer suggestions. I have a 2013 EGT and use my washer reservior regularly. All 3 of my nozzles work fine so I can't tell you why you'rs isn't working... I have always told everyone I know to only use distilled water or fluid purchased from an auto store that's specifically for windshield washer fluid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No one is suggesting that you try Monster energy drink as a washer fluid, it won't have any stimulant effect. The opposite actually. >:D

We are suggesting you DO NOT use anything except washer fluid or distilled water. Not even tap water, it can be loaded with particulate leached from your plumbing, which clogs your windshield washer plumbing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But I told you the passenger-side jet has always worked, so you can forget what I put in the bottle it might just as well have been chewing-gum for the sake of my question. The driver-side jet works feebly when it is renewed and fitted with new tubing but then it soon fails. Other people have had the same problem which is defying the laws of Physics, because the pressure on each jet should be equal since they are fed with a simple T-junction, which is clear on its outlets.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
I'm confused! what's a driver side screen-washer jet?

What we call a windshield, the Brits, Aussies, etc call a "windscreen" ;)

Someday they'll learn to speak English! :eek:

Hey..wait..you're a Canadian! You should know what a windscreen is!!! ;)

Reactions: Xion

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
But I told you the passenger-side jet has always worked, so you can forget what I put in the bottle it might just as well have been chewing-gum for the sake of my question. The driver-side jet works feebly when it is renewed and fitted with new tubing but then it soon fails. Other people have had the same problem which is defying the laws of Physics, because the pressure on each jet should be equal since they are fed with a simple T-junction, which is clear on its outlets.

Go to a hardware store and get a long, thin wire. Some places sell copper wire.

Open the hood, and see if you can disconnect the hose. Should be a hose there.

Take your long, thin wire and from the outside of the hood push it through the little nozzles for the 'sprayers'. See if something comes out. It doesn't have to be very big...a grain of sand or salt can block the nozzle. If you car is like mine you have three...do all three (alternately, a long, thin piece of nylon, like the kind on a "snow brush" can be used as well. Usually what I use, since I keep one in the car year round...;) )

Then, aim the hose AWAY from you and the car as much as possible, and have someone actuate the washer. If there's something in the hose, hopefully this will force it out. If not, yuou'll have to trace the hose to the washer pump and see if it's kinked/cut/blocked.

Good luck!

Reactions: avisitor

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
In addition to trying to clear passage ways, I would also try switching the connections to the T
Or even replacing the T connector

Physics is a strange animal
Not everything is intuitive
Like when the washer motor is first turned on, there is a wave of fluid pushing through the tube
It hits the T and then one side or the other gets more fluid
After a little while fluid fills all the spaces available and pressure is equalized
So, for a very short time there is an inequality in hydraulic pressure in the tubes
It then becomes possible for particles in the washer fluid tank to clog one side or the other
However, eventually it should clog both sides.

This is why I suspect the T connector
Don't know if it was replaced
Hole size in the passage ways could have an effect on the resulting stream of fluid

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
EDIT: Since the left and right side bother share the same tube up to a point, you probably won't have to chase it all the way back. Check the nozzle and the hose back to the junction, and see if the junction is compromised.

Damm whiskey...;)

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
In addition to trying to clear passage ways, I would also try switching the connections to the T
Or even replacing the T connector

Physics is a strange animal
Not everything is intuitive
Like when the washer motor is first turned on, there is a wave of fluid pushing through the tube
It hits the T and then one side or the other gets more fluid
After a little while fluid fills all the spaces available and pressure is equalized
So, for a very short time there is an inequality in hydraulic pressure in the tubes
It then becomes possible for particles in the washer fluid tank to clog one side or the other
However, eventually it should clog both sides.

This is why I suspect the T connector
Don't know if it was replaced
Hole size in the passage ways could have an effect on the resulting stream of fluid
I would have thought of that sooner if it hadn't been for the Crown Royal...;)

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
I would have thought of that sooner if it hadn't been for the Crown Royal...;)

To resolve the issue I went and got some more Crown Royal...;)

Reactions: avisitor

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
What we call a windshield, the Brits, Aussies, etc call a "windscreen" ;)

Someday they'll learn to speak English! :eek:

Hey..wait..you're a Canadian! You should know what a windscreen is!!! ;)
French Canadian :) don't know all English terms ;) I would have understood windscreen but not screen washer jet :surprise:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Why don't you just answer the question?
Do you only use distilled/prepurchased washerfluid from the store?

It is very important you only put right fluid in the washer bottle or it will clog up somewhere. Using the wrong fluid is by far the most common root cause for clogged sprayer nozzles.

Where it clogs is dependent on many variables. It's likely the drivers side is getting clogged with salt because some part of it hangs a little lower than the hose on the passenger side. The t-body doesn't have a 1 way valve, so after you've used your sprayer, the fluid in your passenger side is likely draining over to the drivers side, where it dries up and precipitates somewhere in the hose or nozzle. That's gravity. Overtime, that precipitate grows and creates a clog. Everything follows the laws of physics, and there's always an explanation for something, regardless if you personally can explain/understand it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts