Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i have weird problem..

Story goes, here in chicago on monday the windshield went below 40 degrees and my car was parked outside all day. Today, tuesday the weather is at below 17 degrees. My sonata is displaying that the washer fluid is low, i stopped at a gas station and i filled it up. i Drove about half a mile and parked (outdoors again) and noticed it was still on.. any ideas on what could be wrong? Ill check the level tomorrow and see if its leaking somewhere.

·
22,793 Posts
Ill check the level tomorrow and see if its leaking somewhere.
That's the first thing to do. What are you using as washer fluid inside the reservoir?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not to complicate matters, but I've had cars in the past throw false readings on the washer fluid level... as a symptom of another (unrelated) problem (low battery charge for instance).

How old is the battery and have you had the battery checked? I'm reading here that OEM Sonata batteries don't have much longevity.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'll bet your washer fluid looked like an ice slush from 7-11.

After it thaws things should return to normal unless it froze hard and damaged the washer pump...don't ask how I know (hint: I live north of Denver).

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to complicate matters, but I've had cars in the past throw false readings on the washer fluid level... as a symptom of another (unrelated) problem (low battery charge for instance).

How old is the battery and have you had the battery checked? I'm reading here that OEM Sonata batteries don't have much longevity.
The battery on there is the oem battery, you think maybe if i pull the negative and positive cables it will reset the message?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll bet your washer fluid looked like an ice slush

Regards,
GEWB
Thats one of my ideas maybe it froze somewhere near the floater because fluid does spray out..
I have a oil change change coming up on friday i guess if the problems still there the dealer will figure it out and let me know about it

·
Registered
433 Posts
With temps in that range, things happen. If it doesn't correct itself after it warms up a bit get it checked out. It has been between 5 and -20 here in NY for the past couple weeks...cars sound different, feel different and just don't seem to work the same. If the car is starting at -40, my guess is the battery can't be all that bad - again, see the first sentence :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Lots of things dont work too well when extremely cold.. run with it till temps become more normal..

My yellow Prestone Window Wash stuff that supposed to be good for -35F on the label, didnt do squat this morning at "0" degree.. just froze up like anything else when it hit the windshield.. then I had to get out and scrape ice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah i figure its a problem that has to do with the cold.
But since this is the first car that starting at 19 ive been paying on my own i really dont want something like washer fluid to be my first problem with the car.
the real problem is that the message does not let me watch the MPGs or my trip.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'll bet your washer fluid looked like an ice slush from 7-11.

After it thaws things should return to normal unless it froze hard and damaged the washer pump...don't ask how I know (hint: I live north of Denver).

Regards,
GEWB
Slurpee.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That part is slight over $32 and probably 0.3 labor to replace (Hyundai warranty), then figure what Hyundai going to buy part back from dealer for, maybe cost + couple dollar, and maybe $15 labor to dealer, of which tech might get paid $6, then take out applicable taxes, tech might walk away with $3 pay

·
Registered
578 Posts
okay so good news! It was a sensor that went bad about "$300" to replace but is covered by warranty. Woo!
Had the same issue.... Level Sensor replaced to rectify problem. Fluid level was lower than it usually ever got to with the message being displayed. After that event... the problem was intermittent and never corrected itself. The message would usually return after topping up the washer fluid.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts