Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
The yellow -49 fluid is the best thing ever invented. I don't buy anything else now. I just use it all year, it works during summer anyway.

Even when it's -15 celcius or so, the blue crap just re-freezes on the windshield and then it makes an opaque film before evaporating. It's just horrible.

That yellow stuff never freezes, it's awesome. (unless it's below -20 and the car isn't warm yet, but nobody drives a car without warming it first when it's below -10 anyway)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Prestone All-Season 3 in 1 specifies -27F ... had it freeze in the rear washer line on my wife's Tucson, and just today had it freeze in both fronts on my Tucson.. temps were all above 0, probably mid teens to low 20's...
co-worker has also had Prestone freeze in a different vehicle.

Never had a problem with RainX or any other washer fluid, or any other car, ever.

Is it the fluid? Is it the way the lines are run with perhaps no insulation of any kind? Who knows... but not impressed with the Prestone stuff. Also no easy access to the front lines to squeeze and break up any ice in the lines...

·
Registered
427 Posts
the -49 stuff didn't freeze when it was -40 2 weeks ago... even when driving with the wind.

Just get decent fluid. It's not really more expensive, like 5$ a bottle instead of 3$....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I can find it in Canada at places like Canadian Tire, but they do not offer a shipping option. Does anyone have a source for this in the United States?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Prestone All-Season 3 in 1 specifies -27F ... had it freeze in the rear washer line on my wife's Tucson, and just today had it freeze in both fronts on my Tucson.. temps were all above 0, probably mid teens to low 20's...
co-worker has also had Prestone freeze in a different vehicle.

Never had a problem with RainX or any other washer fluid, or any other car, ever.

Is it the fluid? Is it the way the lines are run with perhaps no insulation of any kind? Who knows... but not impressed with the Prestone stuff. Also no easy access to the front lines to squeeze and break up any ice in the lines...
You need to purge your old fluid out. Insulation won't make any difference.

You need to drain out all of your old fluid
Then fill up with your new fluid
Then prime your front and rear hoses with the new fluid by running each for about 5 seconds.

My assumption is that most people don't do that third step, that's why your lines will still freeze, because the old fluid is still in your lines.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
-49 is a Canadian thing. Head there for a vacation and stock up.

We have plenty of -20 winshield washer fluid here. You can also add the smaller bottles of freeze prevention(washer concentrate) to it.

Methanol can be used too. No one here makes there own windshield washer fluid? Methanol mixed with water and EG antifreeze? 30% methanol is normal fluid.... 70% methanol is for extreme cold... the rest is water... And you can add up to 10% EG/PG in place of water. Some de-icing "concentrates" that you add to your regular washer gallon jug are simply 100% methanol. Fancy ones will add some cleaning or waxing solutions.... like the Rain-X polymers or maybe a drop of soap. And, ethanol can be used in place of methanol.

Walmart online sells -20 to -37 ... windshield washer fluids.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-De-Icer-Windshield-Washer-Fluid-27-Degrees/16424029
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Ice-Cutter-Windshield-Washer-Fluid/39953098
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Deluxe-Windshield-Washer-Fluid/131308212

·
Registered
941 Posts
You need to purge your old fluid out. Insulation won't make any difference.

You need to drain out all of your old fluid
Then fill up with your new fluid
Then prime your front and rear hoses with the new fluid by running each for about 5 seconds.

My assumption is that most people don't do that third step, that's why your lines will still freeze, because the old fluid is still in your lines.
Definitely purged the lines... and since then had run though half a gallon or more of the new stuff...

I drained it again today and put in Prestone De-Icer instead of the all season..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thanx Dead. II may try the Camco. Lots of negative reviews across online stores for the Prestone. Surprised that some of the major online retailers here do not carry the -49 stuff. One would think it would be needed in the upper Midwest......

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
In last weeks freeze an area of Texas north west of us about 100 miles hit a verified -2F. Less than 72hrs later, 83F. Lived here all my life and that is far and away the biggest three day swing I have ever seen.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Had a problem with my 2014 Santa Fe front windshield pump not working when it was below freezing. The rear pump would squirt fluid but not the front one.

The new front pump works perfectly. The temperature has been around zero degrees this whole week. And, I'm using the same fluid that I had in the reservoir before I changed the pump.

This chassis only use 1 washer pump that feed both front and rear squirt nozzle.. direction of flow is dependent on which switch is used to command direction solvent flow

Pump fail is random occurrence across product line, not very often,, but we do have couple pump on hand to cover popular chassis

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is it possible the diverted connection one side is more susceptible to clogging. My wife's santa fe has the same problem. The front sprays only 2 inches high on the windshield. The back prays much better. The dealer finally agrees to order a new pump for warranty after a month of wait and see hoping the pump will defrost with warmer weather. I don't think it is a failed pump because the rear spray is working and the front is weak to nothing. Anyone dissected a washer pump with front and rear spray? I saw one youtube dealing with that problem from middle east and it is a easy fix at the split point for the front and rear spray.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
GM used those fan spray nozzles as well and they are very prone to plugging. Be very careful filling the reservoir to keep any dirt out and of course make sure what you are adding is very clean.

SBR....Is there a valve that cycles the fluid from front to rear or how does that work?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
GM used those fan spray nozzles as well and they are very prone to plugging. Be very careful filling the reservoir to keep any dirt out and of course make sure what you are adding is very clean.

SBR....Is there a valve that cycles the fluid from front to rear or how does that work?
1 pump, plugs into base of washer bottle,, 3 wire connector, and both tube fit onto pump body

All internal function of pump

My daily GM mini van has a large wash bottle & 2 pump, 1 for front, 2nd for rear

·
Registered
105 Posts
What about the white plastic ring outside the two washer fluid exit sprouts? If that things moves left and right to select front or rear spray. That would make sense if it stuck at rear only and only the rear spray works. Or it can partially stuck and you get 2 inches spray on the windshield and then nothing. Plastic doesn't work too well when it is outside the pump and cold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Washer Fluid Pump

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and anytime the temperature drops to 30 degrees and lower the pumps stop working. My garage is heated so at first it will work just fine, but within 20 minutes it stops. The wipers work with no problem, just the washer fluid pump is the issue and I do use the fluid that is good up to -25.

Does anyone have a solution

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and anytime the temperature drops to 30 degrees and lower the pumps stop working. My garage is heated so at first it will work just fine, but within 20 minutes it stops. The wipers work with no problem, just the washer fluid pump is the issue and I do use the fluid that is good up to -25.

Does anyone have a solution
Looks like fluid is freezing up somewhere. Maybe drain/pump out what's in it now (even if rated to -25) and put in name brand best stuff you can find for winter use, unless that's what you have? Good luck, let us know what happens and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey, I've said it last year but if your fluid is freezing you are using the wrong fluid....

Even when it's -40 out, my fluid doesn't freeze because it's rated -49....(and it's never -49 here, but it gets lower than that in the arctic....)
Worst I've seen is -40 real temp + heavy winds, so it was like -60 with wind chill, but actual temps I haven't seen below -40 or so.
It's really cold already when it's -40, you can't have any skin exposed for more than like a minute and one out of 2 cars doesn't start lol...
I just run it all year now instead of trying to switch fluid twice a year, it's not worth the trouble to save like 10$ a year....

I run this this winter, was -28 celcius this morning and it cleared the windshield perfect....(yeah, go figure, was like -5 yesterday and boom -28 this morning).

Reflex ice defence
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...dshield-washer-fluid-9-46-l-0290002p.html#srp

21 - 40 of 44 Posts