Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a ongoing problem with my 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. The washer fluid system is freezing up and refuses to work even when slightly below freezing (both front and back). I had the car in for service at the dealer on that issue today and they replaced the wiring to the washer fluid pump but this has made no difference. They also replaced the washer fluid with the Hyundai brand. Within 4 hours of leaving the dealership the system has frozen up again.

There's something else odd too. When the system freezes up and you push forward or back on the wiper stalk BOTH wipers activate (doesn't matter which direction I push). It is only -8c out today. This is Canada and obviously I need the ability to clean my front and rear when driving -- especially in winter. I am very frustrated to have wasted day plus the repair cost and still have a defective windshield washer system. I consider this a major safety issue. Was on the highway Friday night and at times I could barely see out! Ended up using road spray from other vehicles to clean my windshield!

Anyone else have this issue, and is there a fix for this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Having a ongoing problem with my 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. The washer fluid system is freezing up and refuses to work even when slightly below freezing (both front and back). I had the car in for service at the dealer on that issue today and they replaced the wiring to the washer fluid pump but this has made no difference. They also replaced the washer fluid with the Hyundai brand. Within 4 hours of leaving the dealership the system has frozen up again.

There's something else odd too. When the system freezes up and you push forward or back on the wiper stalk BOTH wipers activate (doesn't matter which direction I push). It is only -8c out today. This is Canada and obviously I need the ability to clean my front and rear when driving -- especially in winter. I am very frustrated to have wasted day plus the repair cost and still have a defective windshield washer system. I consider this a major safety issue. Was on the highway Friday night and at times I could barely see out! Ended up using road spray from other vehicles to clean my windshield!

I had an issue with the same effect, although I'm in Brazil and there's no chance of freezing up here.

The washer started to become weaker and weaker. I suspected the nozzles were clogged up (it happened once before), but I've pulled them out and no fluid was coming from the hoses, either.

So after some googling I've decided to check the pump filter. Both motors for rear and front washers are in the same module connected to the tank, which is located in front of the right front wheel. There's a small space below the front bumper which can be taken apart to access the pumps. Then I pulled the pump module out of the tank (just pull and it'll come out). Their filter was clogged with a kind of algae. I also washed the tank filling several gallons of water and letting them come out by the pump module hole.

Just installed the pump module again (just push it against the tank), filled with proper fluid and voila, it's been working since them.

P.S. if you prefer there's an easier access to the pump by getting the front mudguard out, or getting the front bumper out, it takes more work to do but gives you more space to work.

Enviado de meu SM-P585M usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well, the first question has to be your use of the word "freezing." If the fluid is truly freezing that is not a defect. Someone has been adding incorrectly measured / formulated solvent to the vehicle. I run straight washer solvent in my wife's vehicle all year because she does not use it often enough in the summer and come winter it would have too much water and not enough solvent to keep it from freezing. You seem to indicate that the concern only happens when the air temperature is cold enough for the fluid to actually freeze?

If you are using the word "freezing" as a way of describing the system as becoming inoperative.....Different story.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
814 Posts
Yeah, if by freezing you mean actually liquid becoming solid, then the Hyundai stuff wont' work at -8 C (IMO).
You want the Yellow Prestone window piss (that's what I call it). It has a much higher level of alcohol in it to keep it from freezing. The Blue stuff, forget about it. The Orange stuff (usually rainX crap) just smears all over the windows and doesn't have quite as low a freezing point as the Prestone, IMO. (yeah, -25 vs. -27 F, but I don't like that it smears all over the window-especially if you had your car washed/wax at a car wash).

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS250-Icer-Windshield-Washer/dp/B001E1RVKQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513695890&sr=1-3&keywords=prestone+windshield+washer+fluid[/ame]

Is what I use (but I get it locally and not via Amazon).

But as greysave said, if by "freezing" you mean a mechanical issue (the part/motor is frozen/locked up) that's a diff. ball game.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Tiger...Good point. I had forgotten that they do sell washer additives that do not offer freeze protection of it they do it is marginal at best.

I keep some bottles of a "booster" that Prestone once sold (And may still offer) for those occasions when we may go -15 degrees or colder. I only add that as needed as it is alcohol heavy. RainX actually works fairly well for me in both vehicles. Many of the solvents get a little funky and tend to streak more at certain temperatures. If you see streaking try cleaning your blades with denatured alcohol. Doing so removes a lot of the "dead" rubber and often eliminates the streaking for a time (One to two months). Far cheaper than replacing the blades every time they start streaking. If you don't have DA you can use washer fluid, but I find it to be less effective.

We see a lot of frozen washer bottles every year because people here sometimes use straight water or watered down solvent during the summer and think because they add a cup of good stuff just before winter it won't freeze. Also....If you have your oil changed at a service facility and they top off fluids.....Some will adjust their solvent mixture during the warmer seasons to save money by not using what at that time is unnecessary solvent. Same thing can happen. If the washers are not used enough during the summer then you have too much water and not enough solvent. Some facilities also forget to switch back to the winter blend early enough with the same result.

For those reasons I always top off my washer fluid myself. That way I know what is in there and that what went in was clean. Having the fluid freeze can not only crack the tank. It can also destroy the washer pumps either by expansion breaking the pump or it can be burned out if the driver tries to run it while it is frozen. Between the cost of the parts and the labor to get at what are not often BURIED solvent tanks.....Far better off to maintain the washer fluid yourself.....

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Go to the auto parts store and find one of those gallon jugs that's good down to -40 or something ridiculous like that. Park the car in the garage (if you've got one) until the fluid warms up enough to thaw out. Remove the pump from the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir (it should just pop off) to drain the fluid into a bucket and reinstall the pump, making sure that you've got all the gaskets and strainers that go with it. Sometimes they like to run off. Then refill with your new fluid that has decent low-temperature protection.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I had the exact same issues (no fluid and both wipers activate) this week with my 2014 SF XL.

I started by blowing compressed air into the line to see that the were no issues at all in the line. So I decided the take the pump out, it's very easy to access by removing the front passenger wheel and unscrew 6 plastic screw to access the reservoir and pump in the fender. Took about 5 minutes. You then disconnect the 2 lines and connector from the pump. After, you just have to pull and you have your pump out. My issue was ice inside the pump, not where the washer fluid goes (white part) but inside the motor itself (black part). I could clearly feel something frozen inside the black case. I brought the pump inside and wait about 30 minutes and shake all the water off. It was full of water (not washer fluid). I then put back the pump in place and that's it. Everything's working now.

Why there's water inside the motor, I have no clues? bad design? Rain can easily access the motor...
Why both wiper activate at the same time, no clues either. I don't have that issue anymore since my pump is working...

·
Registered
176 Posts
My left washer didn't work this morning. It was -11 F here this morning. I've never had to add fluid so I don't know what is in there but it is unusually cold. My wife's Sonata has the Prestone fluid and she hasn't said anything so her's must be fine. I look for the stuff on sale and stock up and run the winter grade year-round.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Walmart, $1.97 for a gallon of 0F (-18C) washer fluid. Also will not algae up. Only available in Central Texas during the winter months, otherwise get the 32F stuff.

Note that all Hyundai models I have seen will take a full gallon when the tank is near empty. If your washer tank is still over half full use a small hose to siphon off any summer mix in the tank. It won't hurt to mix the two, but you won't get the best freeze protection if you do. Also remember to run your washers immediately (if already below freezing) to get the low temp fluid into the lines.

Currently 30F and falling in Central Texas, with a light mist. We have already had snow twice in the last month (unheard of in this area) including a two inch accumulation. Nothing compared to what some of you have seen, but very odd for us. Conditions currently may give us another snow tonight. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the exact same issues (no fluid and both wipers activate) this week with my 2014 SF XL.

I started by blowing compressed air into the line to see that the were no issues at all in the line. So I decided the take the pump out, it's very easy to access by removing the front passenger wheel and unscrew 6 plastic screw to access the reservoir and pump in the fender. Took about 5 minutes. You then disconnect the 2 lines and connector from the pump. After, you just have to pull and you have your pump out. My issue was ice inside the pump, not where the washer fluid goes (white part) but inside the motor itself (black part). I could clearly feel something frozen inside the black case. I brought the pump inside and wait about 30 minutes and shake all the water off. It was full of water (not washer fluid). I then put back the pump in place and that's it. Everything's working now.

Why there's water inside the motor, I have no clues? bad design? Rain can easily access the motor...
Why both wiper activate at the same time, no clues either. I don't have that issue anymore since my pump is working...
Perhaps the water inside the motor was causing a short circuit, making both wipers to activate together.

Enviado de meu SM-P585M usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Washer fluid pump frozen

This is an ongoing issue with my 2015 Elantra. Everyone I know that has an Elantra has the same issue. I'm in Chicago so it will be cold for several more months. The dealership thawed out the pump and put their "special" wiper fluid in but it still froze up. Poor design by Hyundai. Never had this issue with any other car I've owned. I won't be buying another Hyundai unless I move to a warmer climate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had a problem with my 2014 Santa Fe front windshield pump not working when it was below freezing. The rear pump would squirt fluid but not the front one. When the temp is above freezing, the front pump would work perfectly.

I called the dealership and asked if there was a known problem with the pumps freezing up, they told me they weren't aware of anyone else having this problem and it must be the fluid I'm using. They didn't have a response when I asked why the rear pump squirts fluid all the way to the rear window and not the front pump, as it 's the same fluid and same reservoir.

I ended up just changing out the front pump, but didn't check to see if it was full of frozen water or anything. Maybe it is a poor design where water gets in there somehow from the rain and freezes up in the winter time.

The new front pump works perfectly. The temperature has been around zero degrees this whole week. And, I'm using the same fluid that I had in the reservoir before I changed the pump.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Interestingly enough this started happening to me as our temperatures fell into the single digits. I am fairly certain though that the fluid itself had partially frozen. I added a booster and that solved most of the problem. Sometimes the very tip of the nozzle itself can freeze preventing even thawed fluid from being sprayed. I had that happen on my 2015 as well. Wet snow gets pushed down that way by the wiper and freezes over the nozzle. Even though I try to clear the snow out of there.....Still an issue at times.

Much of the time fully frozen fluid will cause the pump motor to draw excessive amperage and blow the fuse.

·
Registered
427 Posts
get proper winter fluid, such as the yellow reflex -49 celcius fluid.

Was -40C last week and it didn't freeze.

I don't buy the blue stuff anymore, it refreezes on the windshield and it's ****.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
-49C washer fluid is over kill for our area 95% of the time. BUT....I am interested. I see it available through Canadian Tire, which makes sense. Cannot find it online here in the States. Does anyone know a US retailer?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Let be clear people. washer fluid freezing is not a manufacturer defect, it's operator error. If your fluid says its good to 20 degrees F, and it's colder than that, it will freeze. If you fluid freezes above that temperature, that means you did not fully purge your fluid that was designed for warmer weather. If it still freezes above the rated temperature, and you did a good purge before filling it up, that means the fluid was manufactured incorrectly. Don't blame the car.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Cyprus is correct of course. I always run straight washer fluid in my wife's car all year around as she doe snot use them enough to purge any summer added water from the system. I am now going to do the same for my vehicle. Any savings by adding water in the summer are not worth the aggravation later.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Fortunately, living in PHX, I keep the rainX bug remover in year round. Keeps the windshield super clean all year long if I use it once every week or two. I rarely go up in the higher elevation part of AZ when it's winter time, even if I do, I don't mind waiting a little longer in the morning to clean the windshield.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts