Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2003 3.5 awd I successfully got my used transmission in and running great. I made the mistake of washing the engine. Now, it runs like [email protected] It pops and sputters. At one point the CEL came on with 7 codes mostly misfires. It ran ok prior to the bath but I am getting ready to do the timing belt and wp and plug wires. In the meantime, whats the most likely cause of misfires after a hosing down on these engines? I'm leaning towards plug wires or coils... what do you all think? And if its coils, where is the best place to get replacements? How are Napa parts for these engines?

Thanks!
Bob

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
As you just learned its a terrible idea to hose down an engine. Anything electrical is the likely culprit with the most likely thing being water in the plugs or coil. Pull whatever you can and do an oil change as well. Hopefully you got lucky and didn't do much damage.

·
22,793 Posts
Unplugging the electrical connections and allowing them to dry may bail you out. Possibly a hair dryer to speed things along. Look for condensation around the connections. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Lesson learned. I've done it, ONCE. Nothing beats a light mist with a rag if you have to polish something under the hood. As long as you keep the mist away, too.

A lot of things can happen when you wash an engine. And all but one isn't good. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts