Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm looking for some inputs.
Not trying to take advantage of the situation, but just trying to get fair compensation from insurance company.
my car was 2 months old, when it was rear ended last Monday.
I had to remove baby stroller from the trunk and it doesn't even close now. I have repair shop scheduled for Monday. The MSRP for the car was 35k., it had 1800 miles at the time of the accident.
I don't think it's a total loss, so if they decide to repair it, can I make a claim for loss of value due to an accident? What is the best way to do it?
What are the things I need to check at the pick up after repair?
Anything else I can claim on the car?
Luckily, i'm not hurt, so nothing to claim on the medical side.
Thanks all for looking at this!

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Take it to where ever you want it fixed and they will handle all that. It's far from totaled.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Take it to where ever you want it fixed and they will handle all that. It's far from totaled.
Personally I'd advise to only use a shop recommend by your insurance company. That's the only way they can guarantee the work (otherwise you're at the mercy of the shop, and that can go bad really quickly. I speak from experience here).

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Personally I'd advise to only use a shop recommend by your insurance company. That's the only way they can guarantee the work (otherwise you're at the mercy of the shop, and that can go bad really quickly. I speak from experience here).
If they accept their insurance it's a done deal. You didn't make sure they accepted your insurance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If they accept their insurance it's a done deal. You didn't make sure they accepted your insurance.
No, in this case the shop accepted the insurance, and was able to receive payment directly from the insurance company. But because they weren't a preferred repair shop, my insurance company could not guarantee nor warranty the work. This became an issue as the shop's shoddy work became more evident. I'd take the car back to make them re-do something, they'd bodge it up again and send me on my way. I ended up having them re-fix a few items 3 times before giving up.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
450 Posts
It is unfortunate. Accident repairs drop resale value. Sadly it cannot be repaired to the original state, for any body work. It is the risk all drivers have to take. Use a shop approved by your insurance company, it will be less hassle if qualify is unsatisfactory.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
No, in this case the shop accepted the insurance, and was able to receive payment directly from the insurance company. But because they weren't a preferred repair shop, my insurance company could not guarantee nor warranty the work. This became an issue as the shop's shoddy work became more evident. I'd take the car back to make them re-do something, they'd bodge it up again and send me on my way. I ended up having them re-fix a few items 3 times before giving up.
Should have used a reputable shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since it appears you are in Texas I highly suggest you ask your insurance company exactly which body shop they want you to use. We have some of the weakest consumer regulations regarding insurance claims in the US. The only way the work will be done to your satisfaction is if you take it to their recommended shop and meet their adjuster at the shop and take photos of everything while documenting the adjusters comments as well. All I can say is TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS of everything. If you have AAA you have my sympathies.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My teen aged daughter had an accident 5 years ago with our 2013 Elantra where the whole front bumper was tore off the car. It needed new hood, front bumper and radiator and support brackets all replaced. The total repair bill was $6-7k and the car was valued at about $11k at the time. A month or so after the repairs were completed, I received a check from our insurance company for $1800 and it was marked as compensation for the reduced value of the car because of the accident (diminished value I think was the legal term).

I was given the money without even to know to ask about it. Maybe this has something to do with state law, it was in Georgia that this occurred.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same on my ‘19 Tucson but the damage didn’t look nearly as bad and still it was $4,000 in repairs and 2 weeks of a rental covered by their insurance. I didn’t know to ask about value loss compensation but you definitely need to get as much as you can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts