Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 06 Sonata 3.3 V6 has been trouble free up til now (80Kmi) On my way back from Florida the SES light popped on comin through TN.
As I got closer to home (IL) the SES started to flash (misfire as I later learned) So I take to Advance Auto to have the codes read: P0300,P0303,P0305,P0134.
they said it needed a tune up so I purchased some NGK iridium IX (part#5464) and installed them one weekend in about 3 hours.

The car drove fine for about 2 days and the SES came on again, this time I called the Hyundai service to drop the car off.

They called and told me it was throwing a mis fire code and a bad o2. They wanted to replace the plugs at the tune of $385 :eek: I told them I had replaced them a week ago. There reply was "Did you buy the plug from US?!" I said "no" they then stated that the SES would come back on unless I used their plugs.

I was like WTH is the difference they are the same brand/type plug??

The o2 was covered under warranty but of course they had to charge me $118 for diagnosing I needed plugs and a lower radiator hose which were NOT under warranty.

So I leave the stealership get about 5 minutes away and sure as Sh** the SES comes back on so I headed straight for Advance to check for codes.

Now P0031 pops up?? I told the guy to clear the code drive home SES is off start the car up before work and the **** SES is on again, I give up. I'll see if I can swing by Advance after work to see what code it shows now.

I guess my question is should I take the car back to the dealer and tell them?? It's obvious it's NOT the spark plugs I put in, is it?

·
3,861 Posts
A quick search on your code, P0031 indicates an O2 sensor problem. I would definitely take it back to the dealer. Okay, I checked the recommended NGK Plug number for your car and this is what I came up with:

NGK Part # 5464 More Info {Iridium IX #7964, BKR5EIX11, BKR5EVXA11}
{.044 gap}

It's different then the one you listed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (wymi @ Apr 21 2010, 07:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315255
A quick search on your code, P0031 indicates an O2 sensor problem. I would definitely take it back to the dealer. Okay, I checked the recommended NGK Plug number for your car and this is what I came up with:

NGK Part # 5464 More Info {Iridium IX #7964, BKR5EIX11, BKR5EVXA11}
{.044 gap}

It's different then the one you listed.
oops I typed the wrong #, 5464 is what I meant. As far as a bad o2, they said they replace one but don't know which. Paperwork shows P0134 B1/S1 o2 sensor.

·
3,861 Posts
P0031 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description

Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
What does that mean?

A P0031 DTC (diagnostic trouble code) refers to the O2 sensor (oxygen sensor) located on Bank 1 in front of the catalytic converter. There is also an oxygen sensor behind the converter which is Sensor #2.

This O2 sensor #1 may also be refered to as an air/fuel ratio sensor since on some vehicles it is. It detects the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas compared to the outside air and then vehicle's computer adjusts the air/fuel ratio going into the engine. The sensor is less effective when the exhaust gas temperature is low, so it includes a heater which is activated to help get better readings from the A/F O2 sensor. Essentially this P0031 code means that the resistance of the heater circuit is lower than normal. In most cases, that resistance level must fall below 0.8 A to trigger the DTC code.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'd find another dealer. I wouldn't trust ANY dealer that told me the BS this one did ("Gotta buy your plugs from US")
:harhar: Did they also offer to refill the headlamp bulbs with halogen fluid?

The issue is credibility; did they actually replace the O2 sensor? I didn't know the Sonata had two o2 sensors; why in the name of H E Double-Hockeysticks didn't they offer to replace BOTH? IMNSHO, this dealer's poison.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The dealer also could have been lazy and not searched for the reason behind the bad O2 sensor. Typically they only go bad for a reason. They could have just replaced the sensor and it was immediately fouled by whatever caused it in the first place.

I had a stuck fuel injector which fouled both O2 sensors, one of them twice because they tried just replacing the one sensor that was coming up on the scan. Test drove it and the sensor was immediately fouled again. At least those are the notes the dealer left on the paperwork. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (UWISHU1 @ Apr 21 2010, 06:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315251
Well my 06 Sonata 3.3 V6 has been trouble free up til now (80Kmi) On my way back from Florida the SES light popped on comin through TN.
As I got closer to home (IL) the SES started to flash (misfire as I later learned) So I take to Advance Auto to have the codes read: P0300,P0303,P0305,P0134.
they said it needed a tune up so I purchased some NGK iridium IX (part#5464) and installed them one weekend in about 3 hours.

The car drove fine for about 2 days and the SES came on again, this time I called the Hyundai service to drop the car off.

They called and told me it was throwing a mis fire code and a bad o2. They wanted to replace the plugs at the tune of $385 :eek: I told them I had replaced them a week ago. There reply was "Did you buy the plug from US?!" I said "no" they then stated that the SES would come back on unless I used their plugs.

I was like WTH is the difference they are the same brand/type plug??

The o2 was covered under warranty but of course they had to charge me $118 for diagnosing I needed plugs and a lower radiator hose which were NOT under warranty.

So I leave the stealership get about 5 minutes away and sure as Sh** the SES comes back on so I headed straight for Advance to check for codes.

Now P0031 pops up?? I told the guy to clear the code drive home SES is off start the car up before work and the **** SES is on again, I give up. I'll see if I can swing by Advance after work to see what code it shows now.

I guess my question is should I take the car back to the dealer and tell them?? It's obvious it's NOT the spark plugs I put in, is it?
Your dealer screwed you man. Changing that 1st o2 out shouldn't have cost you anything if it was under warranty. Labor is warrantied also. You should go back to the dealership, But maybe go to a different one. I had the same code a few years back. 1st time they cleaned the o2 sensor. 2 days later it came on again and they replaced it. I think it was from the octane boost I used. oh yea and it doesnt matter what plugs you used.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
+1 spark plug comment is rubbish.

+1 that diagnosing fee is rubbish. How can that not be counted under labor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It sounds strange, but I wouldn't rule out the plugs. When I had my Elantra, I put some Bosch plugs and a month or so later the check engine light came on... misfire. Dealer told me I need to use Hyundai plugs, which I thought was a load of crap, but I had them change out the plugs anyway and sure enough, misfire was cured. If you have the time, you might want to buy some plugs from Hyundai and change them out before going back to the dealer service dept.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts