Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there a difference in the duration of warranty coverage between Canadian and American cars? If the cars are made in the same factory(s) why the difference? Is it our harsher winters?

Powertrain: 10/100000mile for US vs 5/62000mile for Canada
Roadside: 5 years for US 3 years for Canadians
Anti perforation: 7 years US vs 5 year Cana

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
While they may share a parent company in Korea, Hyundai Motor America and Hyundai Canada are two totally different companies and have different ways of operating. It's that simple, as strange as it sounds.

·
Banned
532 Posts
And for years I thought it boiled down to Kilometers................:huh:

·
Registered
870 Posts
The climate remark is BS.

Comes down to sales, the States is a huge market with lots of competition. Offer a great warranty which helps to sell a crap load of vehicles. Canada is a small apples compared to the States.

Same reason why Mitsubishi offers a 10yr warranty as well, they want a piece of the market.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Blame Hyundai Canada.
Can't blame them. If they are selling all of their cars with the lower warranty, then there is no impetus for them to change. It is all a marketing plan. There are some countries/locations that have better Hyundai warrantys than we get in the States. It is all marketing driven packaging.

You might ask why does a PZEV engine get a different warranty than a non-PZEV engine in the same car & country?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think that it's important to point out that Hyundai in Canada has one of the better (read longer) warranty periods compared to other Canadian automotive companies.

For example:
- Toyota Canada, 3 years 60k for comprehensive
- Mazda Canada, 3 years 80k for comprehensive
- Honda Canada, 3 years 60k for comprehensive
- Chrysler Canada, 3 years 60K for comprehensive

So, I'm not too sure I'd be complaining about the fact that Hyundai is going above and beyond most of their toughest competition in Canada.

Edit: Note that the milage is in Kilometers.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Mistubishi offers (or used to offer) the 10-year warranty in Canada... Guess they really have a hard time selling cars!

I kind of agree with the winter comment; when I go in southern US every car still looks like brand new even old 1996 cars. Here it's never the case.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does Canada also have the small print that states any warranty work over $750 is optional for Hyundai. Also after they replace your peeling steering wheel, they will only replace it once?

My experience has not been good with Hyundai and Kia standing by the co called 100,000 mile warranty.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I kind of agree with the winter comment; when I go in southern US every car still looks like brand new even old 1996 cars. Here it's never the case.
You don't even have to go that far; just find a state that doesn't use road salt. Here in Portland I still see a fair number of first-gen Ford Explorers roaming around on a daily basis and even a few mid-to-late 80s Plymouth Voyager/Dodge Caravans can still be seen in fair to good shape. Even second gen Explorers can be found in their dozens.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You don't even have to go that far; just find a state that doesn't use road salt. Here in Portland I still see a fair number of first-gen Ford Explorers roaming around on a daily basis and even a few mid-to-late 80s Plymouth Voyager/Dodge Caravans can still be seen in fair to good shape. Even second gen Explorers can be found in their dozens.
Having owned a 1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager, pass down to me from my dad. Not by choice, lol :D
Vehicle was in the family for 12yrs never rustproofed and completely rust free!
That certain model/design would not rust. Engines were crap, burned oil but the bodies were solid!! Coming where I live, winter and salt go hand and hand. I still see a few 80's Voyager/Caravans running around.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Warranty differences between the U.S. and Canada cannot be explained solely on the basis of weather patterns. If that was true then Alaska would have a Canadian warranty, and parts of Ontario and British Columbia would have a U.S. warranty.

It's basically two different companies making their own respective marketing decisions. Maybe Americans just like big numbers (ie: 10 year powertrain coverage) whereas Canadians prefer balance and security (ie: 5-year total coverage).

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
In the US market, there is a bit of psychology as well.

Most US car purchasers won't keep their cars for 10-years, so there is not a huge cost to Hyundai as they rarely will need to honor that warranty. OTOH, most buyers like to think they MIGHT keep the car for 10 years, so having the warranty is a selling point for them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read somewhere that the average age of a car is 11.4 years in the US. If that's the case than a 10 year powertrain warranty might matter. And having read the forums I will say at the end of it all its the dealer that will impact that warranty. Some will go out of their way to honor or dishonor it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I read somewhere that the average age of a car is 11.4 years in the US. If that's the case than a 10 year powertrain warranty might matter.
No - the warranty is not transferable.

Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model-year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

The AVERAGE age of a US car might be 11.4 years, but you will probably find that VERY few of those cars (mine is one) were bought by the current owner 11.4 years ago ...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Most US car purchasers won't keep their cars for 10-years, so there is not a huge cost to Hyundai as they rarely will need to honor that warranty.
Good point. Also, the one-owner provision is a good way of filtering out the "bad" cars which were sold after an accident, or never maintained because the owner had no intention of keeping them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts