Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here to this forum but im not new to forums in general. So I know not to post without searching. That said - I did search and did not find a clear "hit the nail on the head" answer, so I'm posting a new topic.

I am currently in the market to buy a 2009 Sonata GLS. Where I live, the only ones available seem to be resales of previous rental cars. That worries me. So I'd like to buy a car that has low enough miles to be covered by warranty.

I own an elantra right now and the factory warranty on that is: 5 year/60000 bumper to bumper, and 10 year/100000 mile powertrain.

If I buy a used 2009 Sonata - does the 10 year/100000 mile powertrain get reduced to 5 year/60000 miles? Why would a "factory" warranty change ever?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (wawacito @ Nov 4 2010, 12:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368993
Hello all,

I'm new here to this forum but im not new to forums in general. So I know not to post without searching. That said - I did search and did not find a clear "hit the nail on the head" answer, so I'm posting a new topic.

I am currently in the market to buy a 2009 Sonata GLS. Where I live, the only ones available seem to be resales of previous rental cars. That worries me. So I'd like to buy a car that has low enough miles to be covered by warranty.

I own an elantra right now and the factory warranty on that is: 5 year/60000 bumper to bumper, and 10 year/100000 mile powertrain.

If I buy a used 2009 Sonata - does the 10 year/100000 mile powertrain get reduced to 5 year/60000 miles? Why would a "factory" warranty change ever?
Yes, unless it is a "Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle" that is within the 5Y/60K bumper-to-bumper warranty, then the warranty for the second owner does not change.

I would guess that the reason the power train warranty changes is due to buyers in exactly your situation, buying a newer model vehicle with low mileage, typically rental/fleet car, which probably have been abused/misused in some way.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (wawacito @ Nov 4 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369004
dang that sucks - but thanks for answering.
No problem, you're welcome.

Remember you can purchase an Extended Warranty which should cover most of the vehicle until 100K or so, depending on the contract. That is what I'm planning to do before the 5Y/60K runs out on my vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is an option I'm looking into as well.

I've heard good things about Zurich for extended warranties. Now if I can just find a place that will sell it to me.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Before you even pull your wallet out or talk money...................................................... HAVE THE CAR INSPECTED BY YOUR OWN TECHNICIAN !!!

You dont want to buy wreck or DOO DOO on wheels now,,,, DO YOU ??

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Hey waawaaceto welcome to the forums! A search of that company you call Zurich in your area will list all the dealers that offer it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Nov 4 2010, 07:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369091
Hey waawaaceto welcome to the forums! A search of that company you call Zurich in your area will list all the dealers that offer it.
I found a "Zurich American Insurance" in Denver. Is that the same company to which you are referring?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was offered a Zurich extended warranty by the dealer where I just purchased my used 2009 Sonata, which is a large US brand new car dealer.

I declined for the time being, even though the car I bought was a former Rental. Mistake?

I realize the 10 yr/100k powertrain warranty was not transferable, but I am banking on the balance of the 5 yr/60k bumper to bumper that I have left for the time being.

But yes, I can vouch that Zurich is a valid extended warranty company.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.