Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right brake light was out so when I went to go change it the bulb socket wouldn't come out of the hole so I had to pry it out. After changing the bulb and trying to put it back in it wouldn't turn to lock in place. After some investigation I found out that the hole is warped like it was melted and then hardened back up. I have an 11 CPO with 52K. Do you think the stealership would replace it under warranty? I don't have any after market bulbs in them except the reverse lights but there is NO WAY that would of caused it.
Thanks

·
Registered
622 Posts
My right brake light was out so when I went to go change it the bulb socket wouldn't come out of the hole so I had to pry it out. After changing the bulb and trying to put it back in it wouldn't turn to lock in place. After some investigation I found out that the hole is warped like it was melted and then hardened back up. I have an 11 CPO with 52K. Do you think the stealership would replace it under warranty? I don't have any after market bulbs in them except the reverse lights but there is NO WAY that would of caused it.
Thanks
Very common, I'd imagine they'd cover it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Txboy same issue as mine. I'm going to say its the result of 2 things cheap OEM bulbs or the previous owner used very cheap bulbs hence they melted. Happen to mine and had to spend 2 hours trying to get the bulb or the leftover out. I used some light lub to put the new ones in so it won't happen again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue on 2014 Sonata, any suggestions on how to get to get it out of the socket? The light bulb completely came out, but the metal part is still in the socket.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Pull the battery negative connection (so no power applied to the car) and then use needle nose pliers and a pick. Work the pick around it to loosen it up and then use needle nose to push and rotate to pop it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And engage your safety squints (glasses) 'cause no one likes bulb fragments in the eye. I've seen this before on different makes & models so I dont think you need to be too alarmed going forward.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thanks
Had the same issue with passenger side with a colleague's '11 sonata limited. The bolts from the tail light assembly had been over tightened and snapped so she opted to replace the whole assembly.

Pull the battery negative connection (so no power applied to the car) and then use needle nose pliers and a pick. Work the pick around it to loosen it up and then use needle nose to push and rotate to pop it out.
^^Used this method on my '14 Sonata to get the factory bulbs out. Tried as gently as possible to get the lights out of the sockets when I was replacing with LED, and the glass broke out of the base. Took quite a bit of messing around to get the base out too. I used some bulb grease when putting in the LEDs so they wouldn't get fused to the sockets as well(not that I should have to ever replace them).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Would it be a good idea to replace the incandescent bulbs with LED to cut down on heat? I'm wondering if I should do this preemptively because what you guys had to go through doesn't sound like a good time :|

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Sounds like prying out the old bulb is a bad idea since the socket is not in good shape
Is it possible to just cut out the old socket and hard wire a new socket in?
This way if the bulb burns out again, you won't have to pry the bulb out again??

Just a thought

·
Registered
938 Posts
Would it be a good idea to replace the incandescent bulbs with LED to cut down on heat? I'm wondering if I should do this preemptively because what you guys had to go through doesn't sound like a good time :|
Yes but only for the brake bulb.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...d-mini-bulb-pack-of-2-2357rled.bp2/11236874-p

These are the ones I use, you can get them at nearly any autoparts store. They have a lifetime warranty and they're a bit smaller than a stock halogen bulb.

I have aftermarket tail lights and had the same issue with the bulb socket. Though mine even melted the reflector around the light so much that the bulb was stuck inside. I had to break the bulb with a screwdriver then force it out of the tail light.

20170217_210735.jpg

20170217_210717.jpg

20170217_210637.jpg

20170217_210630.jpg

20170217_204932.jpg

20170907_200424.jpg

I replaced them earlier this year and haven't had a problem since. They also match the inner tails which are built in leds so i'm really happy with them.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I use the same bulbs as C4RN1, picked up from Amazon for a few $ cheaper. I actually have a 2nd set because of my not paying attention to my cart and ordering 2. Not worth shipping to send back. Anyone in the phoenix area looking for a set, I have a pair.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
When I replaced my bulbs with LEDs, one of them wouldn't light. I found that the contacts were pushed in too far. Likely, this is the cause of the melting problems. Take the neg batt cable off, then use a pick to pull the contacts out of the socket a bit. Also, change to LEDs since they are brighter and come on faster, and also run cooler, thus solving the original problem and then we are right back here at the beginning. Thanks and you are welcome. :)

Or, pull the contacts out and just keep using $0.50 bulbs which are *almost* just as bright as LEDs but far cheaper.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
When I replaced my bulbs with LEDs, one of them wouldn't light. I found that the contacts were pushed in too far. Likely, this is the cause of the melting problems. Take the neg batt cable off, then use a pick to pull the contacts out of the socket a bit. Also, change to LEDs since they are brighter and come on faster, and also run cooler, thus solving the original problem and then we are right back here at the beginning. Thanks and you are welcome. :)

Or, pull the contacts out and just keep using $0.50 bulbs which are *almost* just as bright as LEDs but far cheaper.
^^Forgot to mention I had the same issue with the contacts being pressed down to far and I had to pull them up a bit to contact with new LED bulb. The Sylvania's I have are not "brighter" than stock but are a nicer red color and have instant on/off. This not being brighter is nice because it doesn't cause an orangish color that some VERY bright LEDs end up having. It made it hard to find matching marker lights as most 194 red LEDs are advertised to be SUPER BRIGHT and things like that but I did end up finding LED markers that match the same red color.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
^^Forgot to mention I had the same issue with the contacts being pressed down to far and I had to pull them up a bit to contact with new LED bulb. The Sylvania's I have are not "brighter" than stock but are a nicer red color and have instant on/off. This not being brighter is nice because it doesn't cause an orangish color that some VERY bright LEDs end up having. It made it hard to find matching marker lights as most 194 red LEDs are advertised to be SUPER BRIGHT and things like that but I did end up finding LED markers that match the same red color.
Yep, I got some ... from Amazon? which were well-rated. Instant-on, a touch brighter, and very RED! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts