Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After starting my grandeur the handbrake and battery warning lights are remaining on although they are a little dull compared to when you start up.

I have checked my battery and the brake fluid which seem to be Ok. Can anyone assist me.

Thanks Duke.

18hrs later all electronic speedo, rev counter, radio, air con has now stopped working. The battery which is 3 years old is showing no charge.

Having it all checked out in 2 days time by dealer in Geelong Australia.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Niftyone@Dec 3 2004, 01:53 AM
After starting my grandeur the handbrake and battery warning lights are remaining on although they are a little dull compared to when you start up.

I have checked my battery and the brake fluid which seem to be Ok. Can anyone assist me. Thanks
[snapback]3261[/snapback]​

Hi,
have your dealer check the ABS system for codes; there may be a problem with the EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) circuit.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Duke Seems as though it could be number of issues,
Firstly the etac/ etax unit may be malfunctioning, these units operate the electric seating to the interior lighting and onboard instrumnet display, I know a guy who hears a low tone bell when he starts the car even though his seatbelt is secured.
In his case its a leak from either a positive outlet or failing relay or mosfett connection.

Disconnect fuses- MAP, dome lights, radio, start the car and see if the brake and battery lights are still dim or are still active, then remove the ecu fuse on under the dash, next to the Black rectangle etax unit.

Should these measures fail, check the battery connection for build up of an acid film, clean if necessary.

If all else fails, it seems as though a diode, or rectifer has burnt out for some reason and the entire integrated circuit may need to be replaced or repaired.

The other option, may be a remote option... the battery could be failing, the only way to tell it to open the drivers door, wait for the light to fade up and close the door and wait for the light to fade out, if the fade out time is either faster its a dying battery if the light doesn't fade it's a diode rectifier issue in the Etax unit.

In my accent I have a battery warning device, and the interior light fades out faster if the battery is dying as the software shuts down. With your brake and radio issue, it could be a negative supply issue in the ecu for the instruments.

Good luck ???

Let me know what the dealer says, Because I know a few people at Hyundai who can guide me to help you......

JohnC
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did experince the exact problem very recently. I have a 2001 Grandeur XG and the handbrake and battery dash warning lights appear when first starting the car. After a short driving time of around 15 minutes the lights would turn off. Other than this warning the car would drive normally, without any problems.

I took the car in for a service to the local Hyundai Service Centre and reported this fault. Apparently there was fault with the alterator not charging or putting out the require current.

The alternator was reconditioned and warning lights no longer appear. However immediately after receiving the car back we now have some type of "timing" problems with the cars performance.

When idling or in park or gear the car goes through an intermitent cycle of 4-5 thuds or like spark misses which can be felt through the car, more evident through the stearing and peddles, as if like the car wants to stall but doesn't. This occurs even whilst driving the car, more felt around 30-40 Km/h and very noticiable when driving at this speed up an incline.

I reported the problem immediately with the Service Centre. They are claiming that the problem is stemming from faulty spark plug leads or possibly contaminated fuel through the fuel lines-injectors: I can't possibly believe that this could be the case given the fact that the car was running perfectly before the alternaor was worked on.

Can someone give me some help! :liebe011:

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's almost unbelievable how often one takes a car in for repair, that another problem surfaces right after getting it back. Beware cascading repairs...dump the mechanic or dump the car.

Joseph, I'm a newbie here myself, but I have read some of the threads and seen that folks with a problem like yours, ie, loss of power, misfiring, etc, have had success by just changing the sparkplugs. You might consider that, if you haven't done it already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply Biggezad.

I think its almost a case of bump the mechanic; we love the car!!! This has really been the only problem we've had with it since we brought it, touch wood.

The car has been rebooked in on the 5th Aug with Service. I'll mention the spark plugs and let you know of the outcome.

Regards :57:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought a 2000 Grandeur XG and today I am experiencing the same thing. My battery and park brake warning light are both on. and when I rev the engine the TCS and abs lights come on. My main headlights also do not work.

I am taking the car back to the auction house (as they insisted if I had any problem in their warranty period to take it to them ..period..)

I am also worried because I got my car serviced and road-worthied by a mechanics who stamped my handbook, but I am now worried my warranty is revoked.

I have replaced the battery but nothing is fixed (have kept the battery realising it is probably ok).

Is there anything I can do? U have tried the advice johnc gave. but I could not see all of the fuses (I think it was related to teh accent not the grandeur).

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my car to hyundai Kedron and they replace the voltage regualtor and my head light globes (from the voltage spike). they also downloaded new software to the ecu. But the air con was not cooling etc. now from a simple warranty fix they are now replacing the a/c condenser, the radiator fan motors a a hole list of thing. luckily for free under warranty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What has happened, alternator spikes? This is a common problem with Hyundai alternators and the only way to fix it is to replace the internal voltage regulator (which basically means replacing the whole alternator). If this is the case then it really isn't a matter of them fixing the symptoms and not the problem. You just have a reoccuring problem. If they replaced the alternator with a remanufactured one then that explains a lot right there. Make sure they put a new alternator in not a remanufactured or used one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts