Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my wife has been driving the sonata for a few days and last night while putting on her high beams the warning lights for the traction control , Parking brake, High beam and ABS all lit up at once. I did some searching on the forum but wasn't able to find any thing except one post that went un-answered.

has anyone seen this before?

i've attached a pic of the lights.

-Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would take it in to the dealer and see if there's an error code or something. Keep in mind that there have been a number of service bulletins on YF Sonata's electrical systems maybe your car fits into one of those categories. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Did the tach quit working along with the speedo ??

May have driven/shifted oddly ??

First things to do as preventitive is remove the negative cable from body, gring away paint so lug sits on bare steel.. paint is an insulator, not a conductor..

Next would be get into console and locate the SRSCM, and unbolt it to get at painted surface under the SRSCM, and grind away paint so SRSCM has a positive contact to floor for ground, along with pigtail bolted to there also... as the SRSCM is a gateway for the CAN system (Communications)

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had a similiar thread a few weeks ago. According to the tech it was a loose ground on the battery. It did not fix the problem. I have to get it in the shop again this week because of the issues sbr mentioned: no tach or drive, and all the lights come on the dash. Right now it's only the check engine light and the traction lights.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All my lights work, and the tach works fine, I also have 2 gauge ground points from engine to chassis, battery to engine and Chassis to Battery. i've had them since i've gotten the car in prep for my stereo install (which has still not happened). Everything seems to function ok, I took the car to work today (nice long drive) and besides those lights being on nothing else is wrong. car accelerates well, traction control activates, etc... I even plugged in my code reader (ultra guage II) and it comes up with no trouble codes, but still reads and displays all the other info ( torque, HP, MPG, RPM, etc...)
i'm pretty stumped on this one....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine does this idiot light thing too

I have a 2012 model and Mine just now did the same thing (while I was driving at highway speed), buton mine, I had most of the idiot lights, light up. When I went to hit the Bluelink button to get them to run a diagnostic????? The BlueLink would do nothing, when I pushed the button.. nada.. This is the first time the whole dash lit up while I was driving.. But the air bag light and the traction control light have come on and stayed on several times before ( the traction control light will not shut off if I push the button), and the car feels kinda squirrelly when it does this. I have taken it in to the shop and called the Bluelink and no codes ever pop up, either way. They act like I am confused by my issues.... but I am not confused. I love our Sonata.. But dang it.. I cannot deal with this nonsense.

·
Registered
746 Posts
so my wife has been driving the sonata for a few days and last night while putting on her high beams the warning lights for the traction control , Parking brake, High beam and ABS all lit up at once. I did some searching on the forum but wasn't able to find any thing except one post that went un-answered.

has anyone seen this before?

i've attached a pic of the lights.

-Thanks
Most makes today throw multiple lights on at once in specific groupings, represents a visual indicator of a specific problem. Each combination indicates its own individual fualt. Member SBR is correct about cleaning grounds but would also recommend coating the grounds with battery terminal protectant or dialectric grease after reconnection to prevent rusting of bare metal. A $20 code grabber can help with reading the codes if there is any specific ones stored and then cross reference it with the DTC database online OBD-II DTC Database - Hyundai Trouble Codes

·
Registered
939 Posts
A generic OBDII reader you buy at a parts store can only read engine codes stored when the check engine light is on. It will NOT read ABS, SRS, traction etc. codes which require either the manufacturer's specific diagnostic equipment or a very expensive aftermarket scanner (i.e. SnapOn).
The dealer should be able to retrieve any codes that were stored. If none are found it may be a problem with the electrical system, the suggestion of a loose battery connection is in fact a possibility.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This can happen if there is some malfunction in the EBCM that could affect the EBD (electronic brake-force distribution) functionality as well as the ABS and ESC, meaning that the basic braking effectiveness could be reduced. There should be a trouble code stored, but a generic OBD-II scanner will not generally read brake DTCs. Likely means dealer time.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A generic code reader will not read abs, tranni and srs . But it will eliminate wether or not it is engine related. A one time $20 can save $90. If the reader can not read it then the odds are reduced as to owner level io repair options. Having a generic reader has more potential to save $ than waste.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
79,000 mile make it a "customer pay" concern, some dealer tech going to be happy that something aint "WARRANTY" for once.

Did we have dealer scan this thing yet, and what did we recover for DTC in all the various modules ?

·
Registered
687 Posts
After 5-45 seconds the gear indicator and tach starts working as seen in the first photo from today. I let it run for a minute then kill it. Turn it back on and the only thing on are the traction light and tire pressure light (which blinks). Once I put it in gear they go out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brought it in to the dealer, they hooked it up and said they could not find anything wrong. the said they"reset" the codes what ever that means. any way i gone about 1k more without a re-occurance. i'm chalking it up to letting my wife drive the car...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Inspect ground connection here where the GF01 arrow is covering.. the stud is painted, and the floor is painted.. paint is not a conductor.. grind paint off floor for SRSCM to make positive contact with body/ground.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Inspect ground connection here where the GF01 arrow is covering.. the stud is painted, and the floor is painted.. paint is not a conductor.. grind paint off floor for SRSCM to make positive contact with body/ground.

+1 on this. Had to do the same thing to my car underhood with my main battery ground. Ironically, the car in this picture is also Venetian Red:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Probably a bad TSC fuse. Take it to the dealer ASAP. None of your safety features that help control the car will be operating properly. Same thing happened to my car. Good luck!

·
Registered
687 Posts
My car went back in for the 2nd time in 2 weeks Saturday. If I get it back today I'll let you guys know what they did.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts