Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the warning.
I'm hearing a whining noise coming from the engine for a few weeks now.
And changes sounds when i drive faster of slower.
I went to my mechanic, and he said it just was the timing belt that makes noise due the cold weather.
Tomorrow I'm going to confront him with this problem and hopefully he will change the timing belt and pulleys.
There are 160.000km on the car now,so it's time to change it all again :smile:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tensioner pulley

For every owner of a Terracan or Hyundai vehicle fitted with the 2.9 liter CRDi engine, beware of a sudden failure of the fan belt tensioneer pulleys.

The maintenance program in the owner's manual says nothing about this pulleys. Truth to be said, they should be replaced at the same time the timing belt is replaced, in order to take advantage of the labor cost, since they have to be removed in order to replace the timing belt.

I am a careful owner and take good care of my cars. I had my Terracan's timing belt replaced at 90,000 kms, but since there was no advice about the fan belt tensioneer pulleys, I used the old ones again.

Last Sunday, after a long trip (about 300 kms) on my way back, just two blocks away from my house, all of a sudden all the warning lights in the dashboard came on (fuel filter, brakes, vacuum and battery). I stopped immediately and checked. The problem was that the lower tensioneer pulley broke off, making the fan belt (accessory belt) jump out. Thank God it happened just arriving home and could just barely park in garage (no brakes!).

This happened at 140,000 kms. I must say that since several days before, I kept hearing a muffled whining noise coming from the engine, which I first thought it was the transmission, but later discovered it was from engine.

Terracan was towed Tuesday morning to my mechanic's shop (Monday was a holiday here). Upon inspection, the upper pulley was bad too, so both pulleys had to be replaced. New belt was installed since the old one got nicked. The whining noise is now gone, because it was coming from the worn out ball bearings inside the pulleys.

From my conversation with my mechanic, he told me he has seen this happen many times, so they always advice their customers to replace both pulleys anytime the timing belt is replaced (every 90,000 kms).

The attached picture shows "whats left" of the lower tensioneer pulley (yellow in the engine diagram), where the ball bearing simply got busted from wear. Both parts and new belt cost was around $180. Labor was $50, but if this is done while replacing the timing belt, it would not add to the labor cost.

So, you Terracan owners, if your engine is past 120,000 kms and you notice a whining noise from the engine, which changes pitch according to engine speed, its time to have those pulleys checked and replaced.
We bought our late 2006 at 90,000 k's, 2 1/2 years ago(2015) , did the timing belt and all pulley tensioners accessory belt, filters, oils, coolant and weeping power steering hose immediately, no trouble since but I'll redo the timing belt, tensioner pulley and accessory belt again shortly as its about to hit 200,000. I just realized it hadn't done 9,000 k's a year up until we bought it!, now its doing about 40,000!.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the top idelnpully bolt is normal thread or reverse thread. Mine has been attacked with a cold chisel and the torque bit has been stripped out. The pully is ok for now. But it’s gunna be a big job to get it out. Need to know thread direction before I start. Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please answer this question.Pardon my ignorance I have read the warning about replacing the Fan Belt Pulley. I was buying a 2005 Terracan last week and the garage were to do a full service including fitting a New Cam Belt.
I took the photo in of the broken Fan Belt Pulley and said I would pay to have one of those fitted.
When I got the bill it showed a Fan Belt Tensioner.
Is that the same thing as the Fan Belt Pulley. ?

Up to now I am delighted with the car. its a 2005 and done 80,000 miles.
I recently sold a 1991 Defender for far more than this 2005 Terracan cost me and I believe that for what they do for the money they are a bargain car.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts