Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For every owner of a Terracan or Hyundai vehicle fitted with the 2.9 liter CRDi engine, beware of a sudden failure of the fan belt tensioneer pulleys.

The maintenance program in the owner's manual says nothing about this pulleys. Truth to be said, they should be replaced at the same time the timing belt is replaced, in order to take advantage of the labor cost, since they have to be removed in order to replace the timing belt.

I am a careful owner and take good care of my cars. I had my Terracan's timing belt replaced at 90,000 kms, but since there was no advice about the fan belt tensioneer pulleys, I used the old ones again.

Last Sunday, after a long trip (about 300 kms) on my way back, just two blocks away from my house, all of a sudden all the warning lights in the dashboard came on (fuel filter, brakes, vacuum and battery). I stopped immediately and checked. The problem was that the lower tensioneer pulley broke off, making the fan belt (accessory belt) jump out. Thank God it happened just arriving home and could just barely park in garage (no brakes!).

This happened at 140,000 kms. I must say that since several days before, I kept hearing a muffled whining noise coming from the engine, which I first thought it was the transmission, but later discovered it was from engine.

Terracan was towed Tuesday morning to my mechanic's shop (Monday was a holiday here). Upon inspection, the upper pulley was bad too, so both pulleys had to be replaced. New belt was installed since the old one got nicked. The whining noise is now gone, because it was coming from the worn out ball bearings inside the pulleys.

From my conversation with my mechanic, he told me he has seen this happen many times, so they always advice their customers to replace both pulleys anytime the timing belt is replaced (every 90,000 kms).

The attached picture shows "whats left" of the lower tensioneer pulley (yellow in the engine diagram), where the ball bearing simply got busted from wear. Both parts and new belt cost was around $180. Labor was $50, but if this is done while replacing the timing belt, it would not add to the labor cost.

So, you Terracan owners, if your engine is past 120,000 kms and you notice a whining noise from the engine, which changes pitch according to engine speed, its time to have those pulleys checked and replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I just have my timing belt replaced recently and never thought of replacing the fan belt tensioner.

·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing. I just have my timing belt replaced recently and never thought of replacing the fan belt tensioner.

According to my mechanic, both pulleys should be replaced. The upper one does not have the spring loaded mechanism to keep the correct tension of the belt (green in the uploaded photos and drawing). The lower one has the mechanism (yellow) and for some reason, the ball bearing in this one fails sooner than on the other, but nevertheless, it is advised to replace both, since the labor is about the same for replacing just the lower one.

My suggestion is to contact your parts department and check if they have them in stock. Buy them of have them ordered, then, next time your car needs servicing, have them replace the pulleys.

The pulley failure produces no harm to engine or car, unless of course you try to keep driving without brakes, water pump and alternator operation... What you do not want, is to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, trying to find a tow service to bring your car back home or the service shop, then finding our there are no parts available... Enough said!

·
Registered
93 Posts
According to my mechanic, both pulleys should be replaced. The upper one does not have the spring loaded mechanism to keep the correct tension of the belt (green in the uploaded photos and drawing). The lower one has the mechanism (yellow) and for some reason, the ball bearing in this one fails sooner than on the other, but nevertheless, it is advised to replace both, since the labor is about the same for replacing just the lower one.

My suggestion is to contact your parts department and check if they have them in stock. Buy them of have them ordered, then, next time your car needs servicing, have them replace the pulleys.

The pulley failure produces no harm to engine or car, unless of course you try to keep driving without brakes, water pump and alternator operation... What you do not want, is to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, trying to find a tow service to bring your car back home or the service shop, then finding our there are no parts available... Enough said!
Please if you know the parts no. appreciate if you could post it here. Thanks.

·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please if you know the parts no. appreciate if you could post it here. Thanks.

You are right. That's a data I forgot to include in my original post.

Upper pulley: 46471-20010
Tensionner pulley: 25281-4X100

Main fan belt: 0K88R-15987
Pwr steering belt: 57161-H1500

(I am taking this part numbers from the service shop invoice)

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks for the info.i replaced my cambeelt and aux belts recently myself but didn't do the tensioners,never gave it a thought tbh. will watch out for the noise though and maybe do them as a precaution as at 87000 miles now.(139000kms)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for the information, my timing belt is coming up for renewal, so I will order the parts and have it all done at once. Regards Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
As this thread seems to be of interest to those about to, or having just replaced timing belts, I would suggest changing the timing belt tensioners at the same time as the timing belt!

One week after the timing belt was changed by a Main dealer, the tensioner let go! bent valves and massive engine damage followed nanoseconds later. A large bill followed that some weeks later.

Hmm, I wonder if the pulleys are made by the same company?

The mileage was in the region of 150k, but that didn't mitigate my thoughts that the dealer should have changed the tensioners at the same time given the high mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for that - mine has just done 127,000km - will keep an ear open for those noises! In view of large distances here in Australia will buy the 2 parts and put in my tool box - which is in Terry. Will then have them on hand if problem arises, or get them changed at next timing chain change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, unfortunatelly my Terracan at 124.000 km cut the belt. Recently (115.000 Km) I changed this but not the tensioners (4), one of these broken, results 8 valves with the guide must be changed, a new belt with all tensioners, cost around US$1.270 (in Chile) ... :-(

·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, unfortunatelly my Terracan at 124.000 km cut the belt. Recently (115.000 Km) I changed this but not the tensioners (4), one of these broken, results 8 valves with the guide must be changed, a new belt with all tensioners, cost around US$1.270 (in Chile) ... :-(

You mean the timing belt, right? Only a broken timing belt will produce such damage. If it was the accessory "fan" belt, it will produce no damage, just leave you stranded with no brakes, no AC, no alternator and no water pump.

And yes, the timing belt uses 4 tensioneer pulleys. If they are not replaced when doing the timing belt, you risk any one of them to suffer the same issue with the built in ball bearings.

If "just" 8 valves and guides need replacing, you can pat yourself in your back as "lucky". A highly worse situation is to be expected from a broken timing belt in the 2.9 crdi engine, like needing a complete new engine head and possible need for new pistons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You mean the timing belt, right? Only a broken timing belt will produce such damage. If it was the accessory "fan" belt, it will produce no damage, just leave you stranded with no brakes, no AC, no alternator and no water pump.

And yes, the timing belt uses 4 tensioneer pulleys. If they are not replaced when doing the timing belt, you risk any one of them to suffer the same issue with the built in ball bearings.

If "just" 8 valves and guides need replacing, you can pat yourself in your back as "lucky". A highly worse situation is to be expected from a broken timing belt in the 2.9 crdi engine, like needing a complete new engine head and possible need for new pistons.
That's Ok, I speak about the TIMING BELT, obviously broken the accesory fan belt, not produce damage in the engine...
Finally, the damage at the engine is directly proportional to the RPM's, velocity at the moment of cut the timing belt, in my case this event was produce in the city at no more that 2000 RPM's. So, another case will be in the highway to 70 mh.
So, the recommendation is change all the elements was move the timing belt, including the water pump.
Now my Terracan need check the injectors (change the valves), replace the clutch, and check an anormality in the right front wheel, moves towards that side (no alignment). if you have to buy a data of all this, at reasonable prices, I would appreciate telling me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Parts can fail at any time. Every time I do an oil change on a customer's vehicle, I check the serpentine belt for wear and abrasions. If I change any belt, all the pulleys must be checked and replaced if there is evidence of any noises or play. This is especially evident on tensioners. CYB (cover your butt).....replace parts that are worn to avoid a breakdown. Just trying to help.

·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi
How easy is it to chang the cambelt, any special tool required?
That depends on "how special" some required tools may be. You can download the Engine-Mechanical service manual here Download ENGINE MECHANICAL J3.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

At pages 9 to 12 are the full instructions on how to do this. Have in mind that both water pump and crankshaft pulleys have to be removed. Those take some heavy tools and a bit of knowledge.

Have in mind the needed parts for the whole job:

For the timing belt job:
1) New timing belt
2) Both idler pulleys (timing belt)
3) Tensioneer pulley (timing belt)
4) Touch idler pulley (timing belt)

For the serpentine belt job:
1) New serpentine belt and new AC drive belt
2) New idler pulley (serpentine belt)
3) New tensioneer pulley (serpentine belt)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Change the water pump!

If you are changing the Timing Belt & Pulleys etc for the second time (120K miles), I think you would be foolish not to change the Water Pump as you will have direct access to it. They are not expensive and could save you a lot of labour cost and aggravation in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problem

Hi, I just bought a 2005 same model and after 15miles (!) it broke down. Had a new cam belt fitted last year, apparently one of the bolts that holds it taut had snapped. Will this have damaged the engine/ water pump/ anything else? Do I just get my money back?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just bought a 2006/7 terry,it has done 238.000. runs like a clock,pulls my 16.6ft. caravan,gave me 12.5 per.100,after a holiday to margret river in WA. yes it is up to date on all services,i love it. treat your throttle like there is an egg under it, i am a retired truckie with 6.ooo.ooo.ks under my belt, getting ready for my next trip to the N.W kimberleys,with my old terry and caravan,oh. i forgot, i only paid $7500.for it and maybe its a lemon, watch this space.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts