Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, have a 2017 Elantra GT, quite enjoying the car. Today was its first oil change at 6000 km. It's -25 or so when I leave the house, drive slowly over to the dealer, drop it off and told it will take 60 min.
30 min later the service guy comes up and says "we found a problem, your suspension oil was leaking on the ground".
Apparently they say the car warmed to rapidly bringing it in from the cold to the service bay and this caused the rear dampers to explode.

They're replacing it all free, but this is slightly worrying to me given the fact the car is only 4 months old.

Anyone heard of something like this before??

Thanks
David

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
No. I have been working on cars for over 50yrs and have never seen or heard of such a thing, but I also have never been in -25 temps before. I guess it theoretically could happen, but I would think more from the cold than the warm up.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've seen brand new shock fail in 1 week. It has pressure in stock and may get damaged during transportation or installation. Besides I live in ohio

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I've seen brand new shock fail in 1 week. It has pressure in stock and may get damaged during transportation or installation. Besides I live in ohio
Agreed, I have seen new shocks fail from mfg defects, just not from rapid temperature change. I could speculate that the seals were very frozen and cracked when driven, but it would take a failure analysis of the shock to determine if that had happened.

Here again, Texas. We would more likely see one melt in summer. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts