Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the basic radio in the Elantra GT (American Version) and i am really wanting to upgrade to a better radio, i wanted to keep in stock. I was wondering if its just a simple take out the stock one and put in the upgraded one, or do i have to buy that entire center Entertainment area.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Unless u are looking for the touch screen interface and the nav there is no reason to change out the head unit. The base stereo puts out the same wattage through the same speakers...it just has more features. Supposedly they are interchangeable....i was thinking about it for the nav aspect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm looking at it for, I'm tired of trying to use my phone all the time. I really want to try it, so I think I will have it done by the end of the year so I'll let y'all know how it works, going to post some pictures and keep you in touch! :) I also heard that it will still work with the steering wheel controls, excited about that :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Also consider the cost of map updates. They are insane. For $75 or less, you can get a Garmin Nuvi on sale with life time free map updates. Just one map update from Hyundai will cost you more than $75. Sure it's not as slick as the factory unit, but for the money...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I haven't done any research on double din aftermarket installs for the GT but I don't see how you can install one easily and have it look good.................

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Xsolara, the only reason I want the Tech Package radio is because it looks so much cleaner and much more respectable, my sister has the veloster and I loved how it came stock with the 7" touch screen radio. All my projects on the car are on standby, my car will be in the shop for about 2 weeks, (Got backed into badly while leaving my school parking lot). But after that I am going to get the radio. When looking to buy it I also read this, "Optional CAN-BUS function (Need extra USD$40.00). If your car has factory amplifier, you must choose "Can-bus" function. Otherwise, the speakers will have no sound after installation." Do you know if we will need to buy this if I am going to get this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Last week when I took my car in for service I checked out the Hyundai GPS in the new Genesis sedan. Singularly unimpressed! It looks good but just entering an address took more than a minute. No touch screen. It was like doing a search on a smart TV, moving the cursor on the screen with a control knob at the back of the consol is not a fun option. Very awkward!

Last fall I had a CompassNav unit installed. Like everything, it has its limits, but wow, it is FAR superior to my admittedly short experience with the Hyundai unit. The touch screen is extremely responsive & looks as good or better than the factory unit. Entering the same address takes about 10 seconds. All the steering wheel functions are retained since it uses the basic factory radio just adding some plug-ins & the touch screen.
I have no idea how much you plan to spend on a Hyundai unit, but I imagine it will be at least, probably more expensive than the CompassNav unit. Check out other options before deciding. Good luck in your search.

Check out my photos in the Official Elantra GT Audio / Nav Thread forum post, page 11, #109. (Don't know how to create a link)

·
22,788 Posts
If you can't live without the upgrade, consider looking at the aftermarket offerings from two of our sponsors on this Forum. Both are outstanding members and stand SOLIDLY BEHIND their product lines. I wouldn't let anyone BUT these guys touch my system if I was considering this upgrade.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Last week when I took my car in for service I checked out the Hyundai GPS in the new Genesis sedan. Singularly unimpressed! It looks good but just entering an address took more than a minute. No touch screen. It was like doing a search on a smart TV, moving the cursor on the screen with a control knob at the back of the consol is not a fun option. Very awkward!
Interesting. The Elantra GT address search is quite easy in my car...press the address button, start typing and it actually finds the address without having to type the entire thing.

There is a 'mode' where one can just press an area on the map and have the address displayed. I don't find it too useful, but I am thinking that you were in that screen by accident? I can't see the new Genesis gps being much different than the current generation...my 2014 Kia Rondo gps unit is pretty much the same interface as my 2013 GT....

I agree though, that the Compassnav solution looks good too. Not sure if the Hyundai nav unit would be my first choice, unless as noted above that a clean installation would not be possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you can't live without the upgrade, consider looking at the aftermarket offerings from two of our sponsors on this Forum. Both are outstanding members and stand SOLIDLY BEHIND their product lines. I wouldn't let anyone BUT these guys touch my system if I was considering this upgrade.
I don't know about the UniNav but I can vouch for Charles from CompassNav. Great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Last fall I had a CompassNav unit installed. Like everything, it has its limits, but wow, it is FAR superior to my admittedly short experience with the Hyundai unit. The touch screen is extremely responsive & looks as good or better than the factory unit. Entering the same address takes about 10 seconds. All the steering wheel functions are retained since it uses the basic factory radio just adding some plug-ins & the touch screen.
I have no idea how much you plan to spend on a Hyundai unit, but I imagine it will be at least, probably more expensive than the CompassNav unit. Check out other options before deciding. Good luck in your search.

Check out my photos in the Official Elantra GT Audio / Nav Thread forum post, page 11, #109. (Don't know how to create a link)
I have the factory navigation GPS in my GT.... it is fully (and only) touch screen and quite easy and efficient to use.
Not sure what unit you played with, but mine is as easy as my Garmin Streetpilot to use.

as an aside... I used both my portable Garmin and the in-dash Hyundai GPS on a recent 22 hour drive to and from Florida. Both units chose slightly differing routes when off the interstates on 2 lane roads but the interesting thing was the calculated time of arrival differences (as much as 90 minutes differences) when still many hours away... but came together as the destination got closer. The Hyundai unit was always pessimistic on the time until you were almost there.
Nice feature on the Hyundai unit besides time of arrival, but distance remaining screen icon display feature... to compare with fuel remaining or just how much further your destination was.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interesting. The Elantra GT address search is quite easy in my car...press the address button, start typing and it actually finds the address without having to type the entire thing.

There is a 'mode' where one can just press an area on the map and have the address displayed. I don't find it too useful, but I am thinking that you were in that screen by accident? I can't see the new Genesis gps being much different than the current generation...my 2014 Kia Rondo gps unit is pretty much the same interface as my 2013 GT....

I agree though, that the Compassnav solution looks good too. Not sure if the Hyundai nav unit would be my first choice, unless as noted above that a clean installation would not be possible.
I didn't get a chance to try to GT Nav, but the salesman, whom I was told knew all about it demoed it for me. No touch screen. Very strange.

My CompassNav also has the features you mention; for city, enter "MON" & Montreal appears. Just touch the check mark & you are on to the Street function which works the same way. For the numbers, only the digits available are selectable. for instance, if there is no 7 hundreds on the street, no 7 is selectable. It also has selectable time of arrival and/or distance remaining displayed & it has a larger screen than on the stock GT.

The installation looks like it came with the car. Maybe I'll have to check out the GT Nav just to compare.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I would love to put the stock nav system in wife's GT as well. My biggest concern is getting the outer bezel that would match with a GT with tech pkg. In my case I would also have to get the backup camera that came in the GT as well.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Huh? The 2015 Genesis has a 9" HD TOUCHscreen that is crystal clear, and touch IS a feature. I found it to be jealousy inducing. In my GT I just use voice command on the NAV, and can enter an address in perhaps 20 seconds. Using the touch screen is equally easy. With the bluelink nav function, I just say the address, download to the unit and go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's what I'm looking at it for, I'm tired of trying to use my phone all the time.
Unless your phone sucks, it is probably much better than the nav in the 2013 GT. Google maps gives much better directions on my phone. The nav in my car today gave me the correct exit, but the wrong side of it, so I had to get back on the freeway. It often does that if there are two exits very close together (A-B exits).

·
Registered
43 Posts
installing the tech package navi in your base elantra is possible. ive done it but theres work involved. and you cant install the backup camera unless you run all the wiring to the radio yourself. the wiring is not there at all. if you can live with navi only and no camera, go for it. im happy. one more thing, your body control module isnt programed for navi so be sure to read my thread carefully.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/269-g...tion-base-gt-display-stuck-backup-camera.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts