Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Newbie question. Don't know much about car and the exterior front and rear light lighting.

Anyway, I like the look of led lights and wanted to put them in my front and rear light.

Do I just change the bulbs and that is it? Or do i have to change the entire light casing/module? If so would the turn signals, brake lights etc require separate casing?

How does this work? What would I have to do to get led lighting?

How would it look if I change some of the lights to LED and leave some original/regular?

Is this something I can do myself or should I get a professional to do? What is the estimated service cost?

Where can I get these led casing/modules/bulbs from? Any recommended store/company?

Thanks.

OJ

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I am guessing having led lights is just not replacing your original light bulbs with led light bulbs?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Those little LED light bulbs are dangerous!! A standard bulb is designed to spread light in all directions where as those LED bulbs only shoot a quarter-sized circle of light, totally bypassing the reflector. They are very popular with the ricer crowd around here and I can't tell you how many of them I've almost rear-ended because I couldn't see the brake lights.

If you're going to do LEDs, do it right and try something like the link DuckSoup posted. Personally my first mod will be to re-activate the inner rear lights as brake lights like they were on the '07 through '09 models. Talk about cheaping out, huh?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will installing any of these led hardware void any warranty on the vehicle - electrical etc? Would I have to cut into any wires to install these led lights? Is this a simple task?

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you are only substituting led blubs for the stock filament bulbs, there is unlikely to be any warranty implications. Some of the replacement light clusters on Korean imports are plug and play so no modifications required.

If you are replacing light clusters, then again the only issue would be damage caused by the installation and associated issues (you can't expect Hyundai to investigate fuses blowing for example) but the warranty is otherwise unaffected.

Your insurer may however take a dim view of any modifications in the event a claim is made, and whoever rearended you establishes they didn't see you brake as the light output is lower than the stock/approved lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts