Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after getting the Veracruz limited, I found a problem. There is no ability to connect the phone to the car's audio without an external device. So far I've been getting day to day with a cheap FM transmitter. The sound wasn't great but it had its few moments of great clarity but now it has officially stopped working.

I continued to do some research and found a device that is a little better. It keeps the connection and this seems like it would work better in the city, through where the fm transmitter is basically pointless to use. It provides the vehicle with an aux jack and a provided power button to turn on and off the device.

I wanna know if it is possible to get service to install this if I buy this because when I got it, they did specify that the vehicle's electronics are pretty sensitive to much alterations and additional equipment.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
need more detail. what year of vercruz did you purchase? what device are you talking about.

i have a '08 model with navigation. i have found no other way to hook up alternate audio source other than a fm-transmitter.

dealer used to sell a kit with an auxillary jack...but, in the end, it was still a fm-transmitter. didn't see the need to spend $60+ for what i can get at BB for like $8.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Year of the Veracruz is 2011, it is limited with the Nav unit, Infinity sound system, but no rear seat entertainment system. The Nav unit did not come with the Aux imput/usb.

The piece that I speak of is a FM Modulator, which keeps the signal through the antenna wire as it is attached to the antenna slot behind the radio, and the antenna from the roof plugs into the device. It does not work by transmitting a wireless fm signal, but keeps the signal in the antenna wire.
The whole thing gives people without a factory installed Aux jack an option to use their phone or mp3 player through the car's radio by an alternate aux connection.

This is one
Scosche FM-MOD02 Play your iPod®, satellite radio, or portable music player through any car's FM radio at Crutchfield.com

Its claimed not to be as good as a standard aux by a bit much but supposedly works much better than FM transmitters, the devices that do use wireless frequencies to connect to the radio. I was okay with the quality my fm transmitter gave but this sounds like a much better device.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
that appears/looks to be an exact copy of the dealer installed version. the ones of us that have the navigation are very limited in what we can add to our factory audio systems.

i have asked few times about switching out the unit for the factory 6-disc Infinity system, had one lined up to buy, but didn't get any answers here if it would work or not. so, i didn't want to dump $250 on the unit. (sorry - off topic)

i hate the LG navigation, and the upgrade from map-n-soft was useless. I actually LOST features, upgrading in December '12 from previous version of '09 maps. Map-n-soft refused to answer any correspondence regarding this issue; both email and phone calls. (another off topic rant)

back on topic:
that unit i believe still uses a FM frequency to transmit. i may have to bite the bullet and buy that one since most of the dealer units are no longer available. FYI - the little green 'rocker' switch is supposed to be mounted in your open slot just below the HVAC controls. you will have to remove the nav unit from dash to access the install. This is actually pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just bought the Fm modulator specifically made for the Hyundai Veracruz here.

I also found the manual here, even though I have the LG nav unit. http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/media/inst/Hyundai_Veracruz_Aux_Input.pdf
The Fm modulator is claimed to be fully compatible with all trims of the Veracruz.

I would like the dealership to install it even though it seems easy. I heard the electronics are a little sensitive and at the same time don't know how much they would charge for this installation. I have seen alot of personal customizations here to the head radio unit, so when it comes in the mail I might take the chance and save myself from paying a service fee, or might ask them to install this next time I get an oil change and see if they are kind hearted and do it on the house.

It's not the best but it is definitely better than nothing and i was okay how my transmitter worked while it lasted, static and all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I got the FM Modulator to work, but our Veracruz battery drained in the process and needed a jump(needed multiple jumps within our ownership of the vehicle.)

Well the night I hooked it up and turned it to accessory it ran okay, but the electronics started to glitch so I thought I blew a fuse or something worse, which turned out to be a low battery(me figuring that out the next morning after a successful jump by a family member). Everything works as usual now.

For the modulator...I got it to work but the quality wasn't that good at first. The decibel range was a little to low for me, and the quality was bland. Somehow I got the quality to sound much more rich and with a better soundstage. I left the switch on when I got out of the car to go into a store and when I got back and turned on the Veracruz the light on the switch came on as well. I plugged in my phone and the quality difference was like night and day. It really sounded like a straight aux connection, I even turned the volume on the phone to 100% and it still had clarity, no distortions. The instructions for the Veracruz specific modulator suggested it to be at 75% for optimum quality but I managed to get the modulator to sound better above, but really don't know what I actually did.

The fm transmitter I used before had moments of clarity like this but this modulator kept its clarity so far.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i ended up using the iSimple version of that. i got the model that came with an USB charging port as well. i installed it myself on black friday. i was very cautious and hesitant about drillling thru my wing panels...but, once the first hole was done (tiny little pinhole) there was no turning back. overall, i think it turned out nice..and works very well. cost me around $35 for the kit, and few hours on friday to install it.

one thing i noticed...the 3.5mm aux cord that comes with these kits are generic basic ones. i had belkin one, looks like the old coiled phone cord in my daughter's car. i used it and boy was the sound much better. i gave her the generic one! i'll post some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Monochromonite.

Would you be able to walk me through the installation process?

I bought the same OEM Hyundai FM modulator off of Amazon as well. I have followed the instruction manual step by step, but all I get is a loud static pop when I first flip the switch and then nothing. I have tried both FM stations 88.3 and 87.9 but there is only static.

There is power coming to the modulator and I have also tried bypassing the switch by connecting my ipod directly to the RCA ports. Still only static.

Could it be a defective FM modulator?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts