Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on an 2006 Accent GLS. Initially it showed P0012 (cam over retarded). I suspected either the OCV or the Cam Position Sensor (CPS). Quick investigation showed broken latch on the electrical connector on the OCV so I zip tied that on and cleared codes and went for a drive.

After the CEL came back on, I read code P0011 (cam over advanced). This puzzles me as P0012 changing to P0011 suggests that the CPS is working and that the OCV is working.

The car runs pretty well both before and after my work. Is it possible that the VVT is responding to the state change of the OCV, but doing so a bit slowly?

Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Have you touched timing chain or belt or tensioner? If not, I would say OCV is malfunction or bad connector. OCV can control the cam to adv/retard a little bit to get better engine performance. If OCV is bad or clogged that will affect timing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if the electrical connection was bad, it seems that the code would have remained as P0012 (because no signal would have gotten to the OCV). Given that it changed, the OCV must have changed the cam timing and the CPS must also be working to notice it.

No, no work has been done on timing belt or tensioner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the OCV and
1) inspected it; nothing appeared amiss
2) checked it's resistance and it was within spec (6.5-7.5 ohms)
3) applied 12VDC and the solenoid moved (apparently freely). It moves back and forth quite quickly though so it is difficult to tell exactly what it is doing.

I think I'm simply going to replace it and see what happens.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It looks like you thoroughly checked out the OCV. And you're sure the connector isn't an issue? Service manual flags OCV and/or related wiring, Oil clogs/contamination, CVVT, and ECM as possible causes for those codes.

Do you know if the car was well-maintained (e.g. regular oil changes etc.)? If maintenance was lax perhaps try an engine flush or something (...not a big fan of these, but if it can fix the problem without replacing parts maybe give it a shot). Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I suppose that it could be the connector, but if there was *no* connection, then the VVT system would remain in the retarded position (the situation before I started addressing this problem). If the connection was intermittent I would think that there would be a mix of retarded and advanced error codes. Since the error code is "advanced" (which can only happen if the VVT-OCV is getting energized), I am of the belief that the connection is solid (with the zip tie is on it).

·
Registered
44 Posts
well you need to connect the Gsacn and actuate the OCV manually while connected to the vehicle you will here a click sound
secondly you can check for cam target and real psition

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As one poster pointed out (elliptically at least), a GScan tool is quite a bit more expensive than the OCV. I replaced the OCV (it still has the jury rigging on the electrical connector because of the broken locking tab) and the code cleared itself after about 100 miles. The car has gone about 500 miles since the OCV replacement and the code has not returned (and CEL is off).

I am going to declare this a fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts