Hyundai Forums banner

Voice Dialing First Name - Last Name, Not Just For Iphone4

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  11Sonata 
#1 ·
Ok this has been bugging me for some time, and Mikefg830's post got me thinking / looking... didn't take very long, I assume it was just a setting, and since my SE w/o NAV doesn't have many setting options, it must be the phone.

So here goes!

How to configure your iPhone 3G / 3GS to voice dial by First Name / Last Name in your Sonata.

On your iPhone go to Settings
Select - Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Scroll towards the bottom, Look for Contacts
Select the Sort Order
Change from the default (Last, First) to (First, Last)
Click the Home Button to Exit.

I recommend you do this away from your car, or you will need to restart your vehicle to initiate the resync of your contacts.

Hope this helps fellow iPhone owners... as for the droid owners, your phone will someday rule us, until then we'll have the better apps! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#3 ·
This fix always worked for me with iphone OS3 but does not work for me with with the new OS4 operating system on my iphone 3GS. Very frustrating. I change it to first, last and it still comes up last first for voice recognition. Has anyone elde encountered this.

#4 ·
QUOTE (hum099 @ Jun 26 2010, 08:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336299
This fix always worked for me with iphone OS3 but does not work for me with with the new OS4 operating system on my iphone 3GS. Very frustrating. I change it to first, last and it still comes up last first for voice recognition. Has anyone elde encountered this.

Currently upgrading to OS4 on my 3G, we'll see what happens.... Should have 3GS test by next week...

#7 ·
I flipped the ordering in my blackberry, and it doesn't seem to make any difference in the way the phonebook uploads to my 2011 Sonata (without Nav). I still can't get voice recognition to work with any names (works fine with "Dial" command and numbers) uploaded from my phone book. I *can* verify, however, that it uploads the phone book, because I watch it display the caller's name on the car's display for incoming calls from people in my phone book. Regardless of the way I sort on the blackberry, it's only a display option -- and when uploaded to the Sonata, it winds up reversed - Last-Name First-Name...

Voice dialing of names is almost comically dysfunctional. When I ask it to Call Name (with "Name" being either First Name / Last Name or Last Name / First Name), it mentions a wildly different name whose pronunciation would seem to be far from the name I am asking for. I have NEVER gotten name dialing to work at all with this unit.

Probably taking the car in to complain to service - car is less than 2 weeks old, with less than 700 miles on it. Everything else works beautifully (love the Sonata!). This should too -- it's NOT rocket science, and Nuance's voice dialing software in my blackberry has been superb for the last several years. This ought to be a software fix for the car...

- Jon

#8 ·
I just got a Turbo Limited w/Nav and I have a 3GS with latest iOS4 release and I am having the same issue. Both option in phone are First Last but the car insists on flipping it to Last First and its really annoying. There is a TSB out also that says this is 'normal'. Does anyone with a 3GS and latest iOS4 have their car doing First Last?

#9 ·
Well...I learned a bit more, but still no joy just yet...

My blackberry 8900 is on the Hyundai list of "approved" phones, and supposedly it tested fine with all BT features (voice dialing, receiving / making calls, streaming music, etc). Or so it says on the site...

1st discovery is re: "Pairing failed! Pairing failed!" (repeated ad nauseum). I finally found the condition that causes this horrible loop. It happens when you've got the Sonata stored as an entry in your phone (in my case, my blackberry 8900), but the phone has been deleted from the Sonata's storage. Apparently the blackberry attempts to connect to the car, but the car rejects the connection since the Sonata no longer is paired to the phone. Solution: go into the phones BT config, and DELETE the Sonata as a paired BT device, then make sure that all traces of your phone (or blackberry) have been deleted from the Sonata's phone configuration.

On to the voice dialing problem. What I've found is this:

Once I've got the phone paired to the Sonata (no nav), it takes less than a minute to transfer 332 contacts from my phone book. Apparently this timing varies widely depending on the phone you're using. I can verify that the phonebook transferred, because any incoming or outgoing call using a number from my contact list winds up displaying the name (backwards) on the car's audio system display while showing that it's an "active call".

Incoming calls are great. Outgoing calls initiated from the blackberry are great, and all work perfectly over the BT connection to the car.

Number recognition is great -- I can reel off a number and the Sonata gets it right every time.

When I attempt name dialing, though, the phone repeats back a totally, wildly different, name and offers to dial it for me. Even weirder, when it repeats the name it thinks I want to dial, the pronunciation is truly bizarre. For example, "Joe Gleason" becomes "glissen jew" when the car "reads" it back to me and offers to dial. Weirder yet, When I say, "call voicemail", the car comes right back saying "call glissen jew at what humber?" It also says "glissen jew" VERY fast.

So I drove back to the Hyundai dealer last night and described the problem. A salesman walked out to my car with me, and we paired his iPhone 3GS, saw the confirmation that the phonebook had transferred, and tried it out. This time, aside from the backwards "last name" "first name" issue, voice recognition got all the names right -- and repeated them back to us at NORMAL speed, properly pronounced.

This tells me that when the phonebook is being transferred to the Sonata from the blackberry (and probably any other phone that has trouble), the phonebook must be getting some kind of markers or parameters set that are either incorrect, or confuse the Sonata because it isn't programmed to deal with them. In short: the address book is apparently coming over to the Sonata, but formatted incorrectly for the Sonata.

Late last night, I upgrade the BB OS to version 5.0.0.1036. I unpaired the phone and Sonata, deleted the respective entries in the car and the blackberry and tried pairing again. Pairing is fine, but all else is the same. Somehow, the contact list is getting "damaged" as it's transmitted to the Sonata, even though the 8900 is an "approved" phone on the Hyundai site. That suggests that what's really going on is messed up, in all likelihood, to the version of the OS installed in the phone. I wiped my 890, and replaced the OS with a couple of different versions (got very little sleep last night!) - result remains the same.

I'd like to get this working -- but will be getting a new smartphone in the name month or two anyway, or maybe a newer blackberry. When I do, I'll be dragging the salesperson out to me car so we can test before I pay a dime!

- Jon

#10 ·
QUOTE (Jon Strong @ Dec 16 2010, 10:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380724
Well...I learned a bit more, but still no joy just yet...

My blackberry 8900 is on the Hyundai list of "approved" phones, and supposedly it tested fine with all BT features (voice dialing, receiving / making calls, streaming music, etc). Or so it says on the site...

1st discovery is re: "Pairing failed! Pairing failed!" (repeated ad nauseum). I finally found the condition that causes this horrible loop. It happens when you've got the Sonata stored as an entry in your phone (in my case, my blackberry 8900), but the phone has been deleted from the Sonata's storage. Apparently the blackberry attempts to connect to the car, but the car rejects the connection since the Sonata no longer is paired to the phone. Solution: go into the phones BT config, and DELETE the Sonata as a paired BT device, then make sure that all traces of your phone (or blackberry) have been deleted from the Sonata's phone configuration.

On to the voice dialing problem. What I've found is this:

Once I've got the phone paired to the Sonata (no nav), it takes less than a minute to transfer 332 contacts from my phone book. Apparently this timing varies widely depending on the phone you're using. I can verify that the phonebook transferred, because any incoming or outgoing call using a number from my contact list winds up displaying the name (backwards) on the car's audio system display while showing that it's an "active call".

Incoming calls are great. Outgoing calls initiated from the blackberry are great, and all work perfectly over the BT connection to the car.

Number recognition is great -- I can reel off a number and the Sonata gets it right every time.

When I attempt name dialing, though, the phone repeats back a totally, wildly different, name and offers to dial it for me. Even weirder, when it repeats the name it thinks I want to dial, the pronunciation is truly bizarre. For example, "Joe Gleason" becomes "glissen jew" when the car "reads" it back to me and offers to dial. Weirder yet, When I say, "call voicemail", the car comes right back saying "call glissen jew at what humber?" It also says "glissen jew" VERY fast.

So I drove back to the Hyundai dealer last night and described the problem. A salesman walked out to my car with me, and we paired his iPhone 3GS, saw the confirmation that the phonebook had transferred, and tried it out. This time, aside from the backwards "last name" "first name" issue, voice recognition got all the names right -- and repeated them back to us at NORMAL speed, properly pronounced.

This tells me that when the phonebook is being transferred to the Sonata from the blackberry (and probably any other phone that has trouble), the phonebook must be getting some kind of markers or parameters set that are either incorrect, or confuse the Sonata because it isn't programmed to deal with them. In short: the address book is apparently coming over to the Sonata, but formatted incorrectly for the Sonata.

Late last night, I upgrade the BB OS to version 5.0.0.1036. I unpaired the phone and Sonata, deleted the respective entries in the car and the blackberry and tried pairing again. Pairing is fine, but all else is the same. Somehow, the contact list is getting "damaged" as it's transmitted to the Sonata, even though the 8900 is an "approved" phone on the Hyundai site. That suggests that what's really going on is messed up, in all likelihood, to the version of the OS installed in the phone. I wiped my 890, and replaced the OS with a couple of different versions (got very little sleep last night!) - result remains the same.

I'd like to get this working -- but will be getting a new smartphone in the name month or two anyway, or maybe a newer blackberry. When I do, I'll be dragging the salesperson out to me car so we can test before I pay a dime!

- Jon
That's a heck of a post. Thanks for all that work.

My BB Curve worked just fine, but the BB Bold I got last week for my Verizon contract upgrade can only be voice commanded in the car by last name first, even though that's not the way the names are sorted or displayed on the phone. Very frustrating.

#11 ·
I have my iP4 set up like this:

In my contact menu, it shows first name, last name, but the last name is bold and I can hit the letter and and change the letter of the last name. On the car it shows up first name, last name, and I can speak names first, last.

The is on a SE no nav.

#13 ·
I, too, am having the same issue with my iPhone 4 and Limited Tucson with navi. BT pairs properly, and all of the contacts are there, albeit backwards (last name first). I can use voice command to dial a specific number, but can't make a call by name. This is very, very frustrating.

#14 ·
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Dec 16 2010, 11:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380757
That's a heck of a post. Thanks for all that work.

My BB Curve worked just fine, but the BB Bold I got last week for my Verizon contract upgrade can only be voice commanded in the car by last name first, even though that's not the way the names are sorted or displayed on the phone. Very frustrating.
Still frustrated...would love to get this working so I can dial by name for any item in my phonebook -- I do NOT want to record voice tags...

Oddly, voice recognition is great on things like number dialing -- it recognizes what I say easily, and repeats the numbers back to me very clearly. But when it tries to pronounce names out of my transferred phonebook, pronunciation is dreadful. As an experiment, I listened closely to the way it garbled a few of the names, and tried asking it to "Call..." a few of the names...with me mispronouncing them the way it does. Lo and behold, if I say "Call glissenjew" -- which is how it pronounces the name "Joe Gleason", the phone attempts to start dialing "Joe Gleason". As I mentioned in the prior post, when a dealer sales rep paired his iphone with the car, it pronounced his phonebook entries normally, and he was able to speak them normally as well.

You say the Curve worked? Could you say, "Call" and follow up with first name / last name? What version firmware were you using? Which model curve? Really annoyed - sounding more and more like RIM (blackberry) screwed up...

- Jon

#15 ·
QUOTE (Jon Strong @ Dec 23 2010, 12:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382622
Still frustrated...would love to get this working so I can dial by name for any item in my phonebook -- I do NOT want to record voice tags...

Oddly, voice recognition is great on things like number dialing -- it recognizes what I say easily, and repeats the numbers back to me very clearly. But when it tries to pronounce names out of my transferred phonebook, pronunciation is dreadful. As an experiment, I listened closely to the way it garbled a few of the names, and tried asking it to "Call..." a few of the names...with me mispronouncing them the way it does. Lo and behold, if I say "Call glissenjew" -- which is how it pronounces the name "Joe Gleason", the phone attempts to start dialing "Joe Gleason". As I mentioned in the prior post, when a dealer sales rep paired his iphone with the car, it pronounced his phonebook entries normally, and he was able to speak them normally as well.

You say the Curve worked? Could you say, "Call" and follow up with first name / last name? What version firmware were you using? Which model curve? Really annoyed - sounding more and more like RIM (blackberry) screwed up...

- Jon
I believe my Curve was the 8830 (?). And yes, I'd hit the steering wheel button and announce "Call name." The system would reply "Please enter the name" and then I'd speak the contact's name I wanted to call. Almost all my contacts consist of a first and last name, and that's how I'd say it.

With this new BB (says Bold on the back and is supposedly the global model) I have to speak the last name first, even though my contacts are still arranged as first name first. Ticks me off.

I don't know which version of firmware I have in the car. How do I find that?

#16 ·
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Dec 23 2010, 01:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382824
I don't know which version of firmware I have in the car. How do I find that?
Hyundai BT firmware apparently is OEM from Parrot which is a well know and reputable company in hands free. There is a new TSB which shows how to find your BT firmware version. You probably need to create an account at Hmaservice, but HERE is the link.

#17 ·
QUOTE (11Sonata @ Dec 23 2010, 07:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382952
Hyundai BT firmware apparently is OEM from Parrot which is a well know and reputable company in hands free. There is a new TSB which shows how to find your BT firmware version. You probably need to create an account at Hmaservice, but HERE is the link.
I'll have to re-read the TSB -- I recall seeing it briefly yesterday (mine is audio w/o nav, instructions something like: turn radio on, turn radio off, hold in buttons 1 + 4 for 5 secs, let go, press button 1 4 times quickly -- ver will display for 3 seconds)....too tired to try last night, will try again tomorrow.

Great to learn software version, BUT: is it recognized by by HMA / dealer service depts that firmware SHOULD be updated to help resolve some of these issues? I guess we take this one step at a time -- starting with checking the version number.

Re: blackberry acting differently -- seems that this issue might even occur in one version of a device's firmware and not in another firmware version. Unfortunately, RIM does things like this, and generally doesn't publish detailed release notes. It becomes an exercise in board-watching, googling, trying various firmware versions, and sifting through urban legend to find a firmware version that helps with whatever issue you're wrestling with.

Interesting to learn about Parrot doing Hyundai BT software. That's reassuring, except that I would have expected more considering their background. Is this true for both the Nav and non-Nav BT implementations?

Also: if you've read up on this, can you point me (us) to any detailed info on the BT implementation, indications of the relationship to Parrot, etc?

Thanks!
- Jon

#18 ·
Well I was speaking mainly about the Nav and the info just came from the TSB. All the detail is in there. Here is a screen from the TSB. I don't think its anything proprietary or anything but if it is I apologize and will remove it. It's all in the TSB at the link I posted. You can see clearly it says Parrot. I was not able to find anything related to that model number but there was some chatter on Parrot sites about phonebooks being reversed but it seemed to be the opposite problem - that they come of First Last.

Info for non Nav is also in the TSB but I did not see the name Parrot in it anywhere, was just numbers.

[attachment=22004:BTFW.jpg]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.