Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, VLT = Visible Light Transmission

I am looking to tint my ride and my state law has a VLT threshold that is a combination of the film and window's VLT. I figured the factory glass has some tint to it so I was curious if anyone knew.

Thanks,
KindOldMan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry, VLT = Visible Light Transmission

I am looking to tint my ride and my state law has a VLT threshold that is a combination of the film and window's VLT. I figured the factory glass has some tint to it so I was curious if anyone knew.

Thanks,
KindOldMan
Very good question. I was actually looking to post this same question as I am scheduled to have my car tinted this weekend.

The tinting place took a look at my car and said it "may" be something like 87%. He showed me some Chevy truck they had tinted and on the glass they clearly stated 50%. The nomenclature isn't quite as clear on the Elantra (my 2014 at least) but all the windows say:

Side glass:
TEMPERED
DOT865 AS2 M535
SOLAR GLASS

Windshield:
LAMINATED
DOT865 AS1 M850
SOLAR GLASS

He wasn't sure if the DOT865 was the amount of light transmitted or if the "M" number was the percent of tint.

They definitely have a decent amount of tint. In Ohio where I live, I don't believe it is legal to tint the windshield, but the front door windows can only be tinted so they allow at least 50% light transmission. The rear doors and back glass can be tinted however you want.

I have had several (currently 4 vehicles) that are all tinted and all technically illegal. I have never been pulled over for any reason, even in my "flashy" Solar Yellow Celica. Maybe it's because I'm old. (I'm almost 50) and the police tend to not profile me for any reason..:wink:

EDIT found this thread: Post #8 is claiming 26% VLT.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/2016-...-tint-percentage-limited-version-windows.html

One way if you want to be 100% sure and truly plan on having it tinted legally would be to drive up to a police officer and ask them if they could do a courtesy check for you because you want to stay legal. (If you do that, please let the forum know, since I probably want to go a shade or two darker; with my luck I would get the one cop who would remember me and my car and pull me over when he sees me with dark tint...:frown:

·
Registered
417 Posts
According to this website Click me, Neither is the VHT. The DOT number is the glass manufacturer's Dept of Transportation registration number. The M number is the mfgr's part number. I'm not sure of the accuracy of that webpage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
According to this website Click me, Neither is the VHT. The DOT number is the glass manufacturer's Dept of Transportation registration number. The M number is the mfgr's part number. I'm not sure of the accuracy of that webpage.
A good read. Thanks. I suppose it's optional for a manufacturer to list the VLT or tint. I definitely saw the Chevy (or was it a Ford lol) have 50% clearly on the glass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I found this thread:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-2016-elantra-sedan-coupe/136631-2012-elantra-limited-solar-glass-vlt.html

Which indicates the stock factory "solar" glass has 74% VLT. So when I put it with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073LVB44X

I should get 74% x 35% = 25.9% Net VLT

Texas law states:

https://www.tinting-laws.com/texas/

"Front Side windows: Must allow more than 25% of light in."

SWEET!
I've never tinted windows before, can you post about the job and how hard it is? The local guys are charging $499 to do my car. (All windows with ceramic tint)

I love this from the link you posted: "Safe explosion, do not fade. Long life. Protect the car privacy." - Now that HAS to be the good stuff. :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I love this from the link you posted: "Safe explosion, do not fade. Long life. Protect the car privacy." - Now that HAS to be the good stuff."

Bingo! Those [email protected]#$% Terrorist will be :crying2::crying2::crying2: when they see my car coming! :p:p:p

I have never put tint in and I am too old and too fat to try and squeeze in the back seat to do my back glass. I did order 50 square feet because I wanted a single piece for the back glass and have some spare left over in case the installer made a mistake. My nephew knows a guy that, if I supply the film, he will just charge me ~$40 labor to do the job. So that is the route I plan to go.

I am sure there are a bunch of youtube vids on how to install. I see tinting "kits" on Amazon that supposedly have the tools needed to do the job. From what I can tell, just make sure everything is clean and wet.

Sorry, I wasn't much help.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i dont think it is worth it. we are north of you, and i had both our 99 millenias windshields tinted. the tint is very light, but what i wanted was maximum heat/uv rejection, and this stuff was supposed to be the cat's meow(only old people have heard this expression). on the sides, we had the latest and greatest ceramic stuff. i dont think the front did much. i do know it was there, because i had to remove some of it so the inspection stickers could go on. i certainly wouldnt waste money on doing it again. the best way to control the texas sun is a covercraft sunshield, the really thick one, and side window deflectors. then, crack the windows a bit, and if you have one, tilt the sunroof. the old mazda 929 had a really trick sunroof with solar panels, and it powered an exhaust fan, to pull air in thru the vents, and out thru the roof.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like you, I am going for max heat reduction. Not really worried about the privacy and I want to be able to see out at night. So I am going with 35% all around - I like the "even" look.

I can't legally put anything on the windshield below the AS line, but I do have a thick sun shield like you described and I do have a sunroof. Problem is the Texas weather - give it 15 minutes and it will change. I can park it, crack open the windows and sunroof and before you know it, it is raining cats and dogs and I am waddling to the parking lot to try and close every thing. My car's pleather is already crappy enough and I can't afford for it to get wet. For ~$90, I figure it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
we used 3m. the place that did our tint has been there 20+ years, and they have done all our cars. we never had rain come in thru the visor shields, and we get the same texas weather. on the side windows, i could tell there was heat rejection, on the front windshield, i could not tell. one of the cars was black, a mistake in texas. the other was white. however, both had KILLER a/c. sometimes, i would turn on the a/c while waiting for my wife, and i could get like 34 deg from the main vents. even with the sunshield, sometimes the steering wheel was too hot to drive, had to use a towel. both had leather, which i dont care for. hot in summer, cold in winter. heated seats really helped

1 - 12 of 12 Posts