Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
they would need to reinforce the **** out of this car for it to pass safety regulations. in other words it would whey a ton. Only the turbo motor would be required for this thing to move.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Mar 9 2011, 09:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=412605
they would need to reinforce the **** out of this car for it to pass safety regulations. in other words it would whey a ton. Only the turbo motor would be required for this thing to move.
Remember the days of the 1987-1993 Mustangs. Ford offered the 5.0 and a 4cylinder in convertibles....that 4cyl was a dog, definitely not 200hp like the Sonata.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
QUOTE (Plasma George @ Mar 9 2011, 10:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=412617
Remember the days of the 1987-1993 Mustangs. Ford offered the 5.0 and a 4cylinder in convertibles....that 4cyl was a dog, definitely not 200hp like the Sonata.
before my time, but i have been told "stories" lol

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
QUOTE (duggar62 @ May 9 2010, 11:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321197
convertible really looks alot like a sebring--in my opinion , the 2011 sonata has a sebring look to it--i really like the look of my 06 exterior much more but the interior is a totally different story

:unsure: :huh:

QUOTE (Plasma George @ Mar 9 2011, 10:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=412617

Dog is an understatement....was there ever a slower car than that? I think the metro would burn the 4cyl. mustang! I remember my mom had one and that thing was rediculously slow. My remote control car was way faster!!! :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
QUOTE (SAiLOR @ Mar 10 2011, 02:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=413110
Whoever buys a convertible (of anything) is a certified male genitalia. Sorry, but that's just the way it is...

Bro, what was the provocation for that comment? Just because you don't like convertables, doesn't mean you can call people names if they own one. That's just wrong. I personally wouldn't buy one either but to each his own.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Great rendering! I'm not a big fan of convertibles, but it does look nice! I think the Sonata styling is too coupe-like to lend itself to being a convertible, though. The Kia Optima would probably look great (and better than the Sonata) as a convertible - it is more "sporty."

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (SAiLOR @ Mar 9 2011, 11:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=413110
Whoever buys a convertible (of anything) is a certified male genitalia. Sorry, but that's just the way it is...
QUOTE (dynamike @ Mar 10 2011, 12:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=413114
WOW !
Well this spring I guess I better sell my Alfa Romeo Spider.
Wouldn't want to known as a "Richard".
QUOTE (BigSlick @ Mar 10 2011, 12:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=413120
Bro, what was the provocation for that comment? Just because you don't like convertables, doesn't mean you can call people names if they own one. That's just wrong. I personally wouldn't buy one either but to each his own.
Indeed....Sailor if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just some clarification:

I wasn't calling anybody names specifically, I just chimed in with my general opinion of convertibles. As a member of a public forum I was hoping that I can do that--especially in a thread that is clearly designated for discussion of a convertible model. While everybody is certainly entitled to make decisions for themselves, the whole point of a forum is to express and exchange (different) ideas and opinions. When somebody comes in here and says that he's gonna put 22" spinners on his Hyundai so he could look cool, that's his prerogative. But I would hope that that wouldn't stop our fellow forum members from telling him what an utterly retarded idea that is.

If the problem is the language then may I submit to you guys that the problem is with the people who take offense to words on a computer screen, and not with the person or persons expressing an opinion.

Furthermore, there is also something to be said about sarcasm being lost on the internet, but judging from people's reaction to my comment, I'll leave my comment to be taken literally.

Maybe I should've been more specific about my criticism? If that's the case then by all means all you guys had to do was ask:

First things first. Owning a convertible is anything but a dream (contrary to what the thread title would lead you to believe). Until only very recently, there were all sorts of problems related to the retractable roof (can't get it up in time when it starts to rain), it may leak and deteriorate over time (see Top Gear episode on convertibles), and other general annoyances. Secondly, it leaves you exposed to the elements. That may be fine and dandy on a nice summer day, but if you live in the real world, it's anything but a nice summer day everyday. What's that you say? You have a convertible explicitly for such days? Then you've just proven my point. If you're still not convinced and think that a convertible gives you a more "pure" driving experience, save yourself some money and get a motorcycle instead. That is, if you've got the--dare I say it--balls to ride one.

Moreover, convertibles are unpleasant to drive as the handling is shot to pieces with all the extra weight needed to stiffen up the chasis. And why would anybody think that the Sonata would make a good convertible anyway? You're taking a mid-sized (large) family sedan, chopping the roof off it, subtracting from the trunk and storage space, adding unnecessary weight that still won't make it as rigid as it should, and all for what? To cater to the tremendous (sarcasm) crowd lining up around the block that want to buy an expensive golf cart that they might use a few weeks out of the year?

I think Hyundai should stick to the basics and concentrate on making efficient and powerful engines at an affordable price instead of diluting themselves (much like Toyota has done recently) by trying to make hundreds of different trim levels for dozens of different models of essentially the same car.

With that I hope people don't misinterpret my post. I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything, I'm just trying to stay on-topic as much as possible by discussing why a convertible version of the Sonata is in my opinion a bad idea. If instead we have to drool over any and every picture that someone posts just because its a Hyundai on an unofficial Hyundai forum, then by all means count me out.

QUOTE (dynamike @ Mar 10 2011, 03:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=413114
WOW !
Well this spring I guess I better sell my Alfa Romeo Spider.
Wouldn't want to known as a "Richard".
I would get on that ASAP. [/humor]

·
1,914 Posts
Everyone has the right to his or her opinion, it's just the way it was said that was taken wrong. It is very hard to judge when someone is being sarcastic or not and I think that's why it was taken the wrong way.

I semi-agree with you about convertibles. When I run convertibles thru the car wash at work(especially mustangs that are as young as a year old), they leak right at the edge where the roof meets the pilliar near the windshield. If the cars old enough, the water pours in. For that reason, I wouldn't buy a convertible unless it were a hard top. Then you worry about the expenses that go along with that. It seems that most people nowadays buy a convertible for those nice days and not for all year round.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm going to hold back on comments about the tone of this thread but just wanted to point out I think you guys are being a little stuck in your own experience/environment. Those 'few nice days and not year round' doesn't apply across the country. Down here those few nice days can easily be 320+. Just have to watch out for the afternoon rain in the summer is all - but that is very predictable and short in duration.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.