Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new engine it’s a (LF)2015 sonata limited 2.4L with the eco option which is a different head, different head from the regular 2.4L will any vin 8 digit F engine work with my ECU?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,969 Posts
Would it not be better to use the engine code to find a replacement engine rather than the car's VIN?
'F' in the VIN just tells us the engine is a 2.4GDi. It doesn't tell you anything about what variant of the 2.4GDi it is, assuming there are different variants.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can’t find no info on the engine code it’s always explained by shops as 8 digit vin f, that’s why I made this post to see if anyone has any info for me to better understand this situation

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Would it not be better to use the engine code to find a replacement engine rather than the car's VIN?
'F' in the VIN just tells us the engine is a 2.4GDi. It doesn't tell you anything about what variant of the 2.4GDi it is, assuming there are different variants.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

Just put your VIN in here and you can get every original part number fitted..

You can also put the donor vehicle VIN in an compare the pair (engine part numbers)

I don't think you could be more accurate than that if you want to be sure

I'm trying to understand the 8th digit "F", what you're saying about it being 2.4 "ECO" and what I'm seeing in general on the web.
"The 2015 Sonata Eco uses a 1.6-liter, direct-injection, turbocharged engine that pairs with a dual-clutch, seven-speed automatic transmission"

In my manuals for Europe it has F and G for the 2.4. F is for GDI so I think that is the significance that may be communicated out there.

I think so long as you are taking a motor from a Sonata 2.4 GDI 2015 and later you'll be fine

From Apr 2014 -2017 the 2.4 heads are showing all the same.

For motors there are 2 part numbers showing likely interchangeable but from 2015 it's just the one engine.

You should be careful if you're tracking down just the engine code if it comes from another model or Kia there's always a chance you'll end up with different heads which could also mean different sensors and features.I've seen someone do that where they grabbed a Kia engine using just the family code and unable to make it work in their Hyundai when they got to the heads and sensors some of which were related to the variable valve timing.

This is the Sonata 15 series, Alabama Plant These are the 2.4 GDI motors.

211012GK09
ENGINE ASSY-SUB101.04.2014 - 05.12.2014

211012GK14ENGINE ASSY-SUB105.12.2014 - 02.02.2015

211012GK14ENGINE ASSY-SUB102.02.2015 -

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,043 Posts
Why are you replacing your engine ? Did your old engine seize or start knocking?
If either of the above you know you probably can get it covered under Hyundai Settlement warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O wow thanks I’ll be doing that once I get everything done they will reimburse everything I paid out of pocket

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,043 Posts
O wow thanks I’ll be doing that once I get everything done they will reimburse everything I paid out of pocket
In the past they have not reimbursed for any repairs you make. Especially if you are replacing with a used engine.

The best thing you can do is leave it alone and take to the dealer. If it is bearing failure or knocking or seized you will get a free engine and a loaner for the duration of the repair.

Read the settlement. Hyundai is replacing thousands of engines nationwide for Theta II from 2011 to 2019. The only exclusions are salvage titles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts