1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.4L i4 Engine Air Intake Filter Check & Replacement

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the video. Is it too early to change on 10,000 miles?
it really depends on each car.
i would say check it with every oil change. winter environments tend to product a lot of salt dust that cars "inhale" and clog the filter. summer times they tend to suck in polin. some people who have a driveway that is dirt, versus paved - tend to have a dirtier filter (faster) than others.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't realize how easy it is to access the filter compared to an Accord. Kudos to Hyundai on this one.
this is certainly 1 of the easiest i have done. very well designed.

-i am just trying to figure out when aftermarket filters will come out already. NO ONE has regular paper aftermarket filters. auto-zone had one, but it was the wrong size. it was about 1" to short. the ones on ebay claim to fit the 2.4 & 2.0. others claim to fit all 3 motors offered for the santa fe. i dont think people know what fits what yet. its frustrating to have to pay $15/filter at the dealer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Can't you just rotate the filter 180 and use the clean(er) 1/2?? Thats what I've done.

PS: your engine bay needs a wash.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't you just rotate the filter 180 and use the clean(er) 1/2?? Thats what I've done.

PS: your engine bay needs a wash.
no, it only goes in 1 way (plastic center rib towards driver). if you flip it around, with the rib still facing the driver - you didnt accomplish anything. if you think flipping it around to face the other direction:
1. it will NOT fit. and 2. you will then begin to suck into the engine the black crud you saw in the video

why would i wash the engine bay? i am not in any car-show's to warrant it. you wont prolong the life of any parts, you wont reduce the risk of parts going bad, you wont help anything, in any way. all you do is waste time, to only need to do it again in 3,000-5,000 miles. if i had leaking oil- then thats a different story. YOU CAN RISK ELECTRICAL issues by spraying water directly into the engine bay- so why would i risk it? for what? i dont see a need.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The owner's manual states that it is not recommended to wash the engine due to possible damage to the electrical system.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for the video. I had just attempted to change the air filter on my 2013 Santa Fe V6 and could not figure how to open up the case a little more to get the filter out. I was stumped. Your video was invaluable. :D

FYI, it is the exact same procedure on the V6 engine. Could you post your video in the Santa Fe LWB section with a statement that the procedure is the same for the V6 engine? Thank you.

Same problem for me--hard to find a filter the correct size for the 2013. Had to buy mine from the dealer also.

Brad

·
Registered
169 Posts
no, it only goes in 1 way (plastic center rib towards driver). if you flip it around, with the rib still facing the driver - you didnt accomplish anything. if you think flipping it around to face the other direction:
1. it will NOT fit. and 2. you will then begin to suck into the engine the black crud you saw in the video
I just mean turn it north to south not flip it over. If you noticed on the filter all the dirt seems to accumulate on one side. Turning it around would allow the whole filter to be better utilized.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just mean turn it north to south not flip it over. If you noticed on the filter all the dirt seems to accumulate on one side. Turning it around would allow the whole filter to be better utilized.
that wouldnt do much. its still dirty lol. a dirty filter restricts air flow.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hitrack, I do this all the time to customers if people cannot afford to do a filter at this point in time. Makes prefect sense.
we can all agree on the idea that, dirty filters restrict air flow, correct?
so if 25% of the filter is dirty, and restricting air flow - no matter how you spin in it, there is still 25% less air flow. its not about the position of the dirt, its about the lack of air flow.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the video. I had just attempted to change the air filter on my 2013 Santa Fe V6 and could not figure how to open up the case a little more to get the filter out. I was stumped. Your video was invaluable. :D
you're welcome! :)

FYI, it is the exact same procedure on the V6 engine. Could you post your video in the Santa Fe LWB section with a statement that the procedure is the same for the V6 engine? Thank you.
absolutely. thanks for the heads up. i didnt know it was the same procedure.

·
Registered
474 Posts
we can all agree on the idea that, dirty filters restrict air flow, correct?
so if 25% of the filter is dirty, and restricting air flow - no matter how you spin in it, there is still 25% less air flow. its not about the position of the dirt, its about the lack of air flow.
You nailed it, "I'm". The air filter in our condo always seems to have more dust on one section than another. It is still dirty and restricting air flow. ANY air filtration system will have air flow stronger in some areas of the filter. My gas generator does the same thing, more dirt on one side than the other.
You are right, flipping the thing around is doing nothing to help air flow. CHANGE IT !! Can't afford it this month, do it next month. :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Fast forward to May 23rd....I`ve searched & searched this Forum, and have just about worn out the Goggle button, and can`t find any info in reference to the after market part number for the 2.0T air filter.

The `13 SFS has been on the street since mid-2012...Seems like someone would be making one.

Am I missing something?...Anyone have any luck?...:confused:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Fast forward to May 23rd....I`ve searched & searched this Forum, and have just about worn out the Goggle button, and can`t find any info in reference to the after market part number for the 2.0T air filter.

The `13 SFS has been on the street since mid-2012...Seems like someone would be making one.

Am I missing something?...Anyone have any luck?...:confused:
A quick search on Amazon and ebay turned up many. Specify ENGINE air filter or you will also gets lots of hits on cabin filters.

Did you contact the parts stores - Napa, Pep boys, AutoZone, etc, .............all the usual sources?

·
Registered
884 Posts
A quick search on Amazon and ebay turned up many. Specify ENGINE air filter or you will also gets lots of hits on cabin filters.

Did you contact the parts stores - Napa, Pep boys, AutoZone, etc, .............all the usual sources?
I had already checked Amazon...Searched Hyundai Santa Fe engine air filters, and came up with four:

*Hastings AF-1434
*Fram CA-10881

According to Amazon, these won`t fit the `13 SFS..

The other two were both K&N, but I don`t want to pay $50.

Yes, I had already checked the nearby Pep-Boys and Auto Zone...Negative

I didn`t bother with Ebay, as I don`t patronize Pay-Pal.

The cabin filter is readily available, but I need the engine air filter. Has anyone found one that fits?

According to the previous posts on this subject, as of two months ago, no one had.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had already checked Amazon...Searched Hyundai Santa Fe engine air filters, and came up with four:

*Hastings AF-1434
*Fram CA-10881

According to Amazon, these won`t fit the `13 SFS..

The other two were both K&N, but I don`t want to pay $50.

Yes, I had already checked the nearby Pep-Boys and Auto Zone...Negative

I didn`t bother with Ebay, as I don`t patronize Pay-Pal.

The cabin filter is readily available, but I need the engine air filter. Has anyone found one that fits?

According to the previous posts on this subject, as of two months ago, no one had.
Found on Amazon but cheaper here:

WIX 49670 - Air Filter | O'Reilly Auto Parts

There are more. It's not that difficult.

You don't like Paypal, OK, but you can still use ebay as a p/n source.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts