Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my 2006 Elantra start vibrating if I go past 100 KMH . Is any damage being done by traveling at this speed ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can be everything, wheel bearing, control arm bushing, unbalanced wheel

but why would this only happen at speeds over 100 KMH ? On a television talk show I heard of one person that was told by the dealership, that the car wasn't built to go past 100 KMH . He had a different car, not a Hyundai and I think it was even a new car that started shaking if taken past 100 KMH .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a car once that I think I was told one of the rims was slightly bent. It consistently had a vibration at high speeds past 100Kph. I never did really figure it out. Most other times vibration has been due to the tires, in my case.

I'd like to see a modern car that wasn't designed to go much past 60 miles per hour (acc'd to Google). I'd be like, well you're taking this car back, buddy.

How bad is the vibration, and do you feel it primarily in the steering wheel? I've had tires where the tread began separating, on more than one occasion, causing the tread to have a wiggle in one spot.

but that you also might feel as a wobble/wiggle at low speeds, if it's bad enough.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a car once that I think I was told one of the rims was slightly bent. It consistently had a vibration at high speeds past 100Kph. I never did really figure it out. Most other times vibration has been due to the tires, in my case.

I'd like to see a modern car that wasn't designed to go much past 60 miles per hour (acc'd to Google). I'd be like, well you're taking this car back, buddy.

How bad is the vibration, and do you feel it primarily in the steering wheel? I've had tires where the tread began separating, on more than one occasion, causing the tread to have a wiggle in one spot.

but that you also might feel as a wobble/wiggle at low speeds, if it's bad enough.

The faster you go past 100 the worse it gets. At 100 there is no vibration and then it starts at 110 and keeps getting worse as the speed increases. Dropping back to 100 it stops completely. Yes , I feel it in the steering wheel. I think it is just the age of the engine, being 12 years old, that it can't take higher speeds any longer. I am not too concerned about it because the speed limit is 100 anyways .

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Aluminum wheel, steel wheel, aftermarket wheels ?

Tires..

Vibration is end result of something in motion that when the harmonics come on right, we can feel something..

Wheels, bent lip, flat spot bend from impact with curb or pot hole

Tire balance,, how was they balanced ?? Ideally 2-Plane balance with weight measure on planes as far apart as possible

Engine,, nope,,,, stand on throttle and rev it up,, does it shake

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aluminum wheel, steel wheel, aftermarket wheels ?

Tires..

Vibration is end result of something in motion that when the harmonics come on right, we can feel something..

Wheels, bent lip, flat spot bend from impact with curb or pot hole

Tire balance,, how was they balanced ?? Ideally 2-Plane balance with weight measure on planes as far apart as possible

Engine,, nope,,,, stand on throttle and rev it up,, does it shake

These are the original steel wheels that the car came with. The tires are Nokia snow tires approved for year round use . I couldn't find the name of it , but I do have the name of it written down somewhere . I have a feeling that now you are going to blame my tires that you found out that they are snow tires. These are not really snow tires but year round tires that have been approved for use in snow. They are allowed where snow tires are required by law, in winter . This doesn't apply to where I live though , Ontario but does apply to Quebec where by law you have to install snow tires during winter.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Don't fret, they just have a "M+S" rating (mud and snow)! :blink:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
More to look at is rotor runout,, the friction face can "swash plate effect" and at speed the caliper following rotor face will set up nice hard shake when cycles fast enough.. need to look at rotor hat where it sits on the hub face,, are these 2 surface clean so they sit together flat / minimal runout ??

They pulled that on us at Toyota - Lexus NVH school,, runout on rotor was excessive,, need rotor....... instructor said did you verify hub face ??? we pull rotor off and there we find a bunch of masking taped layered on the hub face..

Reactions: DarrenBach

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had 2004 Elantra and I pushed it easily to 95 mph that is about 150 km/h. No problems at all.

I also had 2009 Elantra that was driven at 105 mph (that would be close to 170 km/h) and was smooth as well.
Yes, those cars can go way over 100 km/h and no vibrations is expected.

Your problems can be suspension related (worn shock absorbers, knocked tie rod ends, or other parts), tires (worn or broken tires, balance problems), could even be engine suspension, but this one present itself in other situations way more than jsut driving.

I had 2007 KIA Rondo where I got brand new tires installed - any speed above 70 km/h caused huge shaking.
I went back - they balanced the tires again and the ride was smooth at any speed.
Had 1997 Neon 2-door, shaking as well - tires. Old tires, but balancing them cured problems.

So man - do not overreact. Do some maintenance of the car and you will be good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, it could be very minor. Only way to know is have the tires, suspension, and alignment checked. Once those have been eliminated, go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts