Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a basic question but when I get my sonata limited up to around 70-80 mph on the highway cruising it vibrates quite a bit. Idk if passengers can tell but I sure can. Just to get a diagnosis they wanna charge me $150 which is crazy. I figured the only things I can imagine it being is wheel balance, tire pressure? Or maybe suspension? The wheels were put on around 7k miles ago so I’m assuming they should be balanced right but I could be wrong. Would anyone have any good suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
You could swap rear tyres to front for a comparison. Weights can fall off and tyre fitters don't always get the balance correct. If it's in the the steering wheel, wheel balance would be a start. I'd spend the money on a balance first.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could swap rear tyres to front for a comparison. Weights can fall off and tyre fitters don't always get the balance correct. If it's in the the steering wheel, wheel balance would be a start. I'd spend the money on a balance first.
I’m actually getting a tire rotation currently so I’ll be able to see if it’s any different. The vibration isn’t really in the steering wheel it’s kinda all over I can notice it by feel and if I put my hand on the console or door I can feel it better but if I have drinks in the cup holders I can see them vibrating like crazy.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,506 Posts
Is it only constant at that speed 70-80?
Does it increase or decrease during acceleration or deceleration?
Does braking change it - more or less vibration?
Sounds like `you are describing the "whole car" has a slight vibration not just felt in the steering.
1. Check wheel balance and that wheels and tires are round, easiest way has already been suggested by rotating the tires and see if any difference.
2. Check brakes for sticking caliper (check temp of each rotor ) or bad rotor / pads
3. CV axels, check for leaking boots, noise on rotation
4. Wheel bearing
5. Transmission - output bearing for one of the axels

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I’m actually getting a tire rotation currently so I’ll be able to see if it’s any different. The vibration isn’t really in the steering wheel it’s kinda all over I can notice it by feel and if I put my hand on the console or door I can feel it better but if I have drinks in the cup holders I can see them vibrating like crazy.
May have to be a process of elimination then if it's in the chassis and not the steering wheel. Mentiond in post #4 CV shafts can especially if the grease has left the inner joints or the inners wear they go off balance. I've had a vehicle so bad the front felt like it was going to shake itself off but in all I experienced, load also played a part and become evident from lower speeds. around 50mph.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had the "whole car" vibration, it was the rear wheels that needed re-balancing, they were way off. They were new tires and the tire store I bought them from either ignored the rear wheels or they had some rookie on the machine who didn't know what he was doing. Local Hyundai dealership fixed it easily.

I also had a slight vibration at 36,000 miles that turned out to be the right front wheel bearing, and Hyundai fixed it under warranty. Problem detected with a laser thermometer; that wheel was running about 15 degrees hotter than the other side.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I had the "whole car" vibration, it was the rear wheels that needed re-balancing, they were way off. They were new tires and the tire store I bought them from either ignored the rear wheels or they had some rookie on the machine who didn't know what he was doing. Local Hyundai dealership fixed it easily.

I also had a slight vibration at 36,000 miles that turned out to be the right front wheel bearing, and Hyundai fixed it under warranty. Problem detected with a laser thermometer; that wheel was running about 15 degrees hotter than the other side.
I have noticed the same temperature variation between the two front wheels on my car. The passenger side is always hotter than the driver's side. One mechanic told me it could be because of the heat from the engine. Which side had the higher temp on? Do you know on what spot of the wheel they measure the temperature on? What type of vibration did you feel? I feel the vibration on the floor and seat.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,506 Posts
I have noticed the same temperature variation between the two front wheels on my car. The passenger side is always hotter than the driver's side.
Can also be a brake dragging, check that the caliper is moving correctly. An easy telltale sign of a caliper causing the brakes to drag is unequal pad wear.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The bad wheel bearing on my car was the right front. That tire was wearing unevenly and just a basic laser temp reader showed a big difference. I checked it about 5 minutes after stopping the car, giving the bearing heat enough time to saturate the hub and wheel . Doesn't matter where you shoot it, as long as it is the same place on both sides, somewhere close to the center of the wheel. I had to have the front rotors turned after replacing the wheel bearing because the RF one was worn unevenly, which was probably causing the vibration.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
The bad wheel bearing on my car was the right front. That tire was wearing unevenly and just a basic laser temp reader showed a big difference. I checked it about 5 minutes after stopping the car, giving the bearing heat enough time to saturate the hub and wheel . Doesn't matter where you shoot it, as long as it is the same place on both sides, somewhere close to the center of the wheel. I had to have the front rotors turned after replacing the wheel bearing because the RF one was worn unevenly, which was probably causing the vibration.
After a 1.5 hour drive I checked the temp and the passenger side was 140 degrees and the driver side was 120 degrees (measured at the center of the wheel). @trooplewis, after your wheel bearing was replaced, is the temperature the same now on both sides? Was it the dealers idea to check the temp? Do you have the 2.0T? Also, the vibration I experience does not come on right away but can usually be noticed after 30 minutes of driving. I only feel the vibration in the floor and seat and no vibration in the steering wheel. Was that the case with yours?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts