Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
QUOTE (BestShow4Life @ Aug 28 2010, 12:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352465
Anyone else feel this?
QUOTE (bluegls @ Aug 28 2010, 01:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352570
I noticed the vibration behind the dead pedal from the first day I purchased it.

Same here, and with perfect tire pressures and no mud flaps. It has to be the engine or tranny. A harmonic vibration in either case. To determine it, next time somebody feels it, notice the exact rpm, drop a gear (manually) and go down to the exact rpm and see if you feel anything. If not, it's the tranny's 6th gear. If yes, it's the engine. Four bangers are terrible with harmonic vibrations, even with dual counterbalancing shafts (I believe our engine only has one). The good news is it's a relatively narrow rpm band, and it's considered normal. Best way to prevent it is to just avoid that rpm band, but we first have to determine if it's the engine or tranny, but shouldn't be of concern either way.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Aug 31 2010, 01:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353297
EDIT: This is the solution. There are two plugs on the frame rail within an inch of each other. One is about 1.5" and is oblong in shape. The other is about a 1/2 diameter. I was missing both and hit up the dealer. Feeling is gone.
Funny. I found 4 plugs in my glove compartment at delivery, and salesman told me they were REMOVED from the car during PDI, to throw them away. Kept them.

Just went to look for them, found them, and they're brand new, so they were never 'removed'. Looked for the plugs, and I only have the large ones missing on both sides. Plugged them with the larger plugs. And no, no way those holes are supposed to be unplugged IMO. On the contrary; they're supposed to be plugged, but I suppose most dealers are not doing that. Hope to have that 'feeling' gone as well. Anyway, now I have 2 more plugs (of the same shape but smaller) but couldn't find where the heck they belong; all other rubber plugs on the main rails are present. Any clues???

· Registered
1,687 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Sep 1 2010, 07:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353504
Throwing them away? Wow....
I know man; stupid salesman. Glad I kept them. By the way, all 4 plugs have slits with a pin hole in the middle, so any moisture/water would drain out. The plugs absolutely have to be there, so check for those folks, and ask your dealer for them if missing.

And yes, you're absolutely correct about the rear ones. Found them. There're TWO flaps on each rear side, one in front of the rear tire, and a longer one further inboard and away from the tire. The plug goes right behind the inner/deeper flap. Just stick your head right in front of each rear tire, look for the flap, and you'll see the holes, just inside of the frame rails, so stick your head deep enough. Plugs go right in, compared to the fronts, which need to be pushed all around the edges to seat the inner 'lip' inside the hole. Hope this helps gang. Glad my car has only seen rain once, as front tires kick rain right into the front holes. Good day.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
QUOTE (bluegls @ Sep 1 2010, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353653
Would someone mind posting pictures with the location of the plugs?
QUOTE (BestShow4Life @ Sep 4 2010, 01:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354203
Wow! So that's what those plugs are for.
There're pics of the front plugs on the 'other' site, as well as a vague explanation why they need to be installed (I posted the location of the rear ones above). The site name is like this one, but just add 'my' at the beginning, and remove the '-'. Good technical info there, plus you can request a .pdf copy of the service manual at no cost. Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Just drove the Hyundai today and vibration is completely gone after plug installation. All new Sonatas should come with a bag of 4 plugs (2 smaller than the others) inside the glove box. Apparently most dealers haven't installed them. The 2 larger ones go in front, right behind front wheels. The smaller ones go at the rear, ahead of the rear wheels, inboard of the frame rails. If they're not installed in your car, and not in your glovebox, dealer should provide them free of charge. Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
QUOTE (Deech @ Sep 7 2010, 02:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354857
It seems that the cars in question may have been early builds.
It's a DEALER issue. Those (tie-down) holes are used to secure the car during transport. Dealers are supposed to install the plugs.

QUOTE (sonicice @ Sep 7 2010, 08:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354926
EDIT: I've only noticed it at 'higher' speeds, 60-65 on the highway. Normal city driving (25-35) I haven't noticed it with.
Indeed. Only higher speeds force the air strong enough to feel the vibration. I started feeling it around 70 mph.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
QUOTE (bluegls @ Sep 9 2010, 12:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355264
I called the service deaprtment and he told me that those plugs are only used to cover the holes during over seas shipments to keep salt water out.
Morons. Go to the 'other' site and print the TSB so you can show it to the ignorant fools :grin:.

QUOTE (Bearcats @ Sep 9 2010, 12:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355270
I was told by another Hyundai employee that they are shipped using tire wraps to hold them to the carriers
That's my understanding too, but they still use those tie-down points to put 'safety' straps, similar to the chains you should use when hauling a trailer. Otherwise the plugs would be installed at the factory.

1 - 7 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.