Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sonata has about 1000 miles on it and I've recently begun feeling a vibration coming from the dead pedal when driving at highway speeds. It almost feels as if something is tapping the other side of the pedal. It is intermittent and just seems to appear and go away as it pleases. I've checked under the car and there doesn't appear to be anything loose. It first appeared when driving on a wet road, but also happens in complete dryness as well. The car does have mud flaps - I wonder if they vibrate at speed.

Anyone else feel this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually, I feel it too....it seems to happen when I hit 80...thought I was going crazy...will get it checked out

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I have it also but I DONT have the mudflaps. I suspect that something is funky with the inner wheel well liner (the plastic piece you can see). Its seems to be solidily attached at the top. But as you go towards the bottom, there is some give to it which in my mind might be just enogh movement at speed to create a tapping sensation.

I have not been able to spend much more time working with the issue. I would like to see if removing the inner liner and taking a drive solves the issue. However, its amazing how much time a newborn takes up. :whistling:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed the vibration behind the dead pedal from the first day I purchased it. At the time I purchased the car it was raining a lot and I figured that it was due to the rain hitting behind the wheel well while driving. However, even in nice weather I felt it so I brought it in and they told me the tires were never deflated when I purchased the vehicle (the tires on new cars are over inflated while shipping and sitting on the lot). The ride was much smoother once they corrected this and the vibration was much less noticeable, but still there. I had mud flaps installed later on and I haven't noticed a difference in the amount of vibration between pre/post mud flap install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Add me to the list! I noticed it when I was driving home from the dealership the first day. It feels like wind buffeting or something like that....it's just hard to duplicate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dead Pedal as in the foot rest at the bottom left corner? if so, I recently felt it too. My car has just done 5K miles. It feels like theres something rattling around just behind it, as if loose gravel were hitting around it, except it happens even on smooth clean roads. Would love to find out wats causing that

·
Registered
264 Posts
i dont feel anything on mine, but i have some generic flat rubber mud flaps that i screwed in through the wheel wells that may be keeping the molding from hitting something.

·
Registered
125 Posts
try removing the clips holding the plastic inner wheel well at the bottom near the area in question. On the contact are where the plastic panel hits the fender, apply some 2 sided tape after you clean the surfaces. See if that cures the problem. Those with mudflaps, apply the 2 sided tape to the rear of those as well. This should stop any vibration coming from those 2 areas.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (BestShow4Life @ Aug 28 2010, 12:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352465
Anyone else feel this?
QUOTE (bluegls @ Aug 28 2010, 01:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352570
I noticed the vibration behind the dead pedal from the first day I purchased it.

Same here, and with perfect tire pressures and no mud flaps. It has to be the engine or tranny. A harmonic vibration in either case. To determine it, next time somebody feels it, notice the exact rpm, drop a gear (manually) and go down to the exact rpm and see if you feel anything. If not, it's the tranny's 6th gear. If yes, it's the engine. Four bangers are terrible with harmonic vibrations, even with dual counterbalancing shafts (I believe our engine only has one). The good news is it's a relatively narrow rpm band, and it's considered normal. Best way to prevent it is to just avoid that rpm band, but we first have to determine if it's the engine or tranny, but shouldn't be of concern either way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my 6 spd car. Have the dealer install body plugs in the frame rails on both sides of the car. The noise is coming from high speed air vibration. The frame rail holes are located right behind the front wheel, where the frame rail bends to the underbody section of the car. Also, I find using medium grade gas (89 octane) helps with the motor lag, due to the fast DGI response. I do not have mud flaps

·
Registered
81 Posts
one more here... I feel mild vibrations on the dead panel and the area around it too.
I dont have mud flaps on my car. But from what I noticed, it generally happens on bumpy or uneven roads.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I read this post yesterday and I payed extra attention this morning going to work. I got the car up to about 75mph and I did not feel any vibration. Maybe you guys should share your build date. Might have something to do with a certain lot of cars built in the same period. Just a thought. I did read another thread early on where people were losing their inner wheel well molding....just not attached right I guess. You might want to check to make sure everything that should be there is there.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...heel+well\

Good luck everybody.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (dug @ Aug 30 2010, 05:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353057
I had the same problem with my 6 spd car. Have the dealer install body plugs in the frame rails on both sides of the car. The noise is coming from high speed air vibration. The frame rail holes are located right behind the front wheel, where the frame rail bends to the underbody section of the car.
I researched this statement and this guy is on target with technical references from the other forum.

EDIT: This is the solution. There are two plugs on the frame rail within an inch of each other. One is about 1.5" and is oblong in shape. The other is about a 1/2 diameter. I was missing both and hit up the dealer. A great service tech dug some extras up for me and I installed them and hit the road. Feeling is gone.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Aug 31 2010, 01:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353297
EDIT: This is the solution. There are two plugs on the frame rail within an inch of each other. One is about 1.5" and is oblong in shape. The other is about a 1/2 diameter. I was missing both and hit up the dealer. Feeling is gone.
Funny. I found 4 plugs in my glove compartment at delivery, and salesman told me they were REMOVED from the car during PDI, to throw them away. Kept them.

Just went to look for them, found them, and they're brand new, so they were never 'removed'. Looked for the plugs, and I only have the large ones missing on both sides. Plugged them with the larger plugs. And no, no way those holes are supposed to be unplugged IMO. On the contrary; they're supposed to be plugged, but I suppose most dealers are not doing that. Hope to have that 'feeling' gone as well. Anyway, now I have 2 more plugs (of the same shape but smaller) but couldn't find where the heck they belong; all other rubber plugs on the main rails are present. Any clues???

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Aug 31 2010, 08:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353407
Funny. I found 4 plugs in my glove compartment at delivery, and salesman told me they were REMOVED from the car during PDI, to throw them away. Kept them.

Just went to look for them, found them, and they're brand new, so they were never 'removed'. Looked for the plugs, and I only have the large ones missing on both sides. Plugged them with the larger plugs. And no, no way those holes are supposed to be unplugged IMO. On the contrary; they're supposed to be plugged, but I suppose most dealers are not doing that. Hope to have that 'feeling' gone as well. Anyway, now I have 2 more plugs (of the same shape but smaller) but couldn't find where the heck they belong; all other rubber plugs on the main rails are present. Any clues???
I was told the similar ones (were they almost a negative copy of the fronts?) are for the back near the rear tire. I have not looked for them yet.

Throwing them away? Wow....

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Sep 1 2010, 07:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353504
Throwing them away? Wow....
I know man; stupid salesman. Glad I kept them. By the way, all 4 plugs have slits with a pin hole in the middle, so any moisture/water would drain out. The plugs absolutely have to be there, so check for those folks, and ask your dealer for them if missing.

And yes, you're absolutely correct about the rear ones. Found them. There're TWO flaps on each rear side, one in front of the rear tire, and a longer one further inboard and away from the tire. The plug goes right behind the inner/deeper flap. Just stick your head right in front of each rear tire, look for the flap, and you'll see the holes, just inside of the frame rails, so stick your head deep enough. Plugs go right in, compared to the fronts, which need to be pushed all around the edges to seat the inner 'lip' inside the hole. Hope this helps gang. Glad my car has only seen rain once, as front tires kick rain right into the front holes. Good day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would someone mind posting pictures with the location of the plugs? I believe I have found the location of the plugs and I have plugs in place but I still have a vibration and I do have mud flaps also. Not sure if I am looking at the correct plugs. The ones I see are behind the front tires and in front of the rear tires. They are a perfect circle. Thanks!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Aug 31 2010, 08:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353407

Wow! So that's what those plugs are for. My salesman said the same thing - he suggested I just throw them out. I said "no" and stowed them in the trunk. And the thieves at the dealership tried to charge me over $500 for "dealer prep" (I guess to cover the cost of washing the car).

Thanks! I'll have to check this out in the morning.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts