Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It happens while accelerating, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Gets worse towards 60 (haven't tried going faster to avoid getting a speeding ticket). The problem also starts shaking the wheel around 60. There are no sounds accompanying this problem.

Here is what i have done so far.

Originally, the back left wheel had a bent rim, fixed that, rotated and balanced the tires, and the problem still persists.

Checked ATF, it looks next to new.

I recently replaced the engine because i neglected the timing belt like a moron, but the problem was there before this, so im assuming it is unrelated. The engine mounts were replaced as well.

I had my mechanic check the brakes, he said they are fine (i just replaced the darn things, so they better be) and while he was there he checked the wheel bearings and they seemed fine.

The Walmart tire people said if it starts under my butt before moving to the steering wheel as the speed, the problem is most likely in the back tires.

Another thing, if i disable the overdrive (button on shifter) the problem gets alot worse at the lower speeds but doesn't change in severity when i get to 60.

Going up hill also makes it worse, but the car shifts fine (even better than before with the new engine).

I know its best to start with the easy stuff first, and i think I've done all the easy/cheap stuff.

What should i look at next that is the most likely culprit? My mechanic thinks its the front CV.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
It happens while accelerating, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Gets worse towards 60 (haven't tried going faster to avoid getting a speeding ticket). The problem also starts shaking the wheel around 60. There are no sounds accompanying this problem.

Here is what i have done so far.

Originally, the back left wheel had a bent rim, fixed that, rotated and balanced the tires, and the problem still persists.

Checked ATF, it looks next to new.

I recently replaced the engine because i neglected the timing belt like a moron, but the problem was there before this, so im assuming it is unrelated. The engine mounts were replaced as well.

I had my mechanic check the brakes, he said they are fine (i just replaced the darn things, so they better be) and while he was there he checked the wheel bearings and they seemed fine.

The Walmart tire people said if it starts under my butt before moving to the steering wheel as the speed, the problem is most likely in the back tires.

Is that how it is?

Another thing, if i disable the overdrive (button on shifter) the problem gets alot worse at the lower speeds but doesn't change in severity when i get to 60.

Going up hill also makes it worse, but the car shifts fine (even better than before with the new engine).

I know its best to start with the easy stuff first, and i think I've done all the easy/cheap stuff.

What should i look at next that is the most likely culprit? My mechanic thinks its the front CV.

He should know how to test the axle for vibration. Raise the front end and support the lower control arms (don't let the axles hang) and run it until you reach the speed it normally occurs at and see if the axles are vibrating. Fairly easy to spot.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't know how he checked the wheel bearing, but when my car's wheel bearing failed, I asked around including dealer, and no one could address the problem. It only happened above 40 mph, getting worse when I made a turn. After replacing the bearing the vibration was gone.
You can turn down door windows one by one when you driving, or make turns, see which side is louder

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
ill ask him to test the axle that way. about your earlier statement "is that how it is" what did you mean?
You said this...."The Walmart tire people said if it starts under my butt before moving to the steering wheel as the speed, the problem is most likely in the back tires.

I asked....Is that how it is?.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
balancing the wheels got rid of some of the vibration, to the point that it is only intermittent rather than constant when above 40.

You said this...."The Walmart tire people said if it starts under my butt before moving to the steering wheel as the speed, the problem is most likely in the back tires.

I asked....Is that how it is?.....
I still dont know what you mean by the question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
okay i did a test at night so the road was empty of noises. Had a friend sit in the passenger seat and listen out the window for noise on that side. He hear nothing but regular road sounds. He felt the vibrations start at the same time i did (at 40) and so i had him get into the back seat and we tried again. According to him, he didn't feel the shake until it got to its worst at around 50 to 60.

The shaking disappears completely at 65.

I'm guessing the vibration is coming from the front then.

Another thing, when i let the wheel go when traveling on a straight flat road, the car pulls to the right as i accelerate (barely) and barely to the left when i try braking without touching the wheel.

Also, i don't know how the brakes can be fine, because whenever i come to a stop i can hear a screech noise and a pulsating sensation as the car comes to a stop. Yet, there is no drag when i simply let go of the accelerator and let the car slow naturally. It doesn't drag like it used to before the new rim and balance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as for testing the shafts for vibration, he doesnt feel safe doing that. The car is at 130k, so it is probably the U-joints got damaged. Ive hit curbs a few times, and where i live the roads are so poorly maintained it is a minefield.

·
Registered
882 Posts
as for testing the shafts for vibration, he doesnt feel safe doing that. The car is at 130k, so it is probably the U-joints got damaged. Ive hit curbs a few times, and where i live the roads are so poorly maintained it is a minefield.
If you wanna spend money on your car, it's OK to replace the cv axles due to age, and also a good time to check wheel bearing. But I still think it's bad bearing or rubber bushing, especially lower control arm front bushings, which is the weak spot of all Hyundai

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he said he checked the bearing and that they were packed correctly, and looked fine. i will ask him to check the bushings all around.

Last night on the test, i noticed the vibration is different. Since it was so queit at night i was able to focus on what i was feeling. You could actually feel it at lower speeds although much less pronounced. Around 20-25 it was vibrating slowly, then the usually really feelable vibrations at 40 and stopping completely at 65. That or the car was going so fast that it couldnt vibrate.

·
Registered
882 Posts
he said he checked the bearing and that they were packed correctly, and looked fine. i will ask him to check the bushings all around.

Last night on the test, i noticed the vibration is different. Since it was so queit at night i was able to focus on what i was feeling. You could actually feel it at lower speeds although much less pronounced. Around 20-25 it was vibrating slowly, then the usually really feelable vibrations at 40 and stopping completely at 65. That or the car was going so fast that it couldnt vibrate.
It's hard to check bearings since they are tighten on the cv axle. You will need to jack up 2 front wheels together, or on the lift, ask someone to rev up the engine, then you check bearings, bushings and axles

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's hard to check bearings since they are tighten on the cv axle. You will need to jack up 2 front wheels together, or on the lift, ask someone to rev up the engine, then you check bearings, bushings and axles
I tried something similar on the ground in neutral and it didnt do anything (someone suggested doing it that way)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was the CV joint on the front passenger. It was stiff.

replaced both axles and the car runs so smooth i can no longer feel the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts