Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a thread similar to this on the front page, but I wouldn't exactly describe my issue as a "rattle". I've got a good video of the sound it's making here:

https://youtu.be/oVWhXvoob0g

It's definitely much louder with the hood up--doesn't seem quite as drastic when sitting in the driver's seat.

I've come across the thread here on the engine rattle/knock fix, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Would this be considered a knock?

It's a 2011 Elantra with about 82,000 miles on the odometer. It has an extended warranty on it, in addition to the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on it, so it's at the dealership this morning. Just curious on what I should be looking to hear from the dealer. Wouldn't complain if a new engine was in our future!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just heard back from the dealership. They are telling me that the wrong oil filter is installed, which is causing oil pressure issues during colds startups. This seems sketchy to me honestly, but I honestly don't know. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
175 Posts
What make and model of oil filter is installed? The stock Hyundai oil filter has a valve in it that prevents the oil from draining down into the oil pan; if the filter that is on your car doesn't have an anti-drain valve or the valve has failed somehow then you could have oil draining back into the oil pan when it shouldn't, and a couple seconds of metal on metal contact while the oil recirculates on startup.

I'd expect that the anti-drain valve would be a requirement on any aftermarket oil filter made to be used in the car though. Did the noise start happening after an oil change?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Someone I know with a 2011 Elantra was having these types of startups. He had been doing oil changes @ Mr.Lube :O with Lubirfiner filters (crap low end filter by champ)

Made him do an oil change with OEM filter. Noise gone.

Also I know some people will be like why would Hyundai need a good filter why is hyundai the one with these problems? Ive seen many cars suffer from garbage filter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, very good info! Not sure of the make/model of filter installed. I honestly can't correlate it to a specific oil change, but we did start taking it to Sam's Club for oil changes about six months ago. That's not exactly high-end maintenance, but I honestly figured it would be better than one of these 15 min oil and lube places. We're a decent ways away from the dealer, so it's just not feasible to go to the dealer for every oil change as much as I'd like to.

They are doing an oil change on it while it's there, so we'll see how things go over the next few days. We just recently finally moved into a new house with a garage, so maybe I need to finally start doing my own oil changes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Alot of oil change shops stock the OEM Hyundai filter and will "upgrade you to it" upon request.

Mr.Lube charges like $10 to upgrade.

I am totally against quick lube shops so please no one think I am recommending them.

As a teenager and then again as a young adult I had worked in a few.

At one point I oversaw 4 locations and the horror stories I can tell would make you not even want to drive by one.

Do this elantra a favor put some decent oil in it an OEM filter and see if it gets better.
If it is the filter after the oil change from the second start you will know its now ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just spoke to the dealership again. They changed the oil and filter, and apparently the problem is still present. Mentioned the tech was maybe thinking timing chain tensioner, but they needed more time with it to diagnose definitively.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Just spoke to the dealership again. They changed the oil and filter, and apparently the problem is still present. Mentioned the tech was maybe thinking timing chain tensioner, but they needed more time with it to diagnose definitively.
did anyone check the oil pressure or screen? "maybe I should Google it may not have one", oh well, you have over 82,000 miles. so now you have a fresh oil change, whatever that just cost, which will most likely have to be changed again, more money, once they "diagnose definitively". I never heard of so much after market filter bashing like this anywhere. if it's the root of all evil, Hyundai should explicitly require in writing that part be "OEM only". all modern premium aftermarket filters like K&N, Motorcraft, Hastings etc, made for a specific make and model no matter who the manufacturer, will have whatever the OEM has, and in many cases, may even be better material. do not lump these filters in with STP such crap.

Does the OEM Hyundai filter use a paper element? can someone point me where I can find some specs on that?

Personally, I like Hyundai in general I'm very happy with my Elantra so far, thinking about another next year for one of my boys, besides the Hyundai oil filter seems affordable, I like the color blue, and it's original OEM, so why not give it a shot for awhile, but not because I have too, because I want too.

PS how exactly does that extended warrantee work, you already have the best warrantee in the industry 10yr/100,000?, and you're only at 82,000 miles, Reminds me of going to the dentist here in the U.S, they always ask when getting teeth cleaned, do you want the basic co-pay" cleaning, or the clean clean option. one time I asked out of curiosity, what's the difference, to the girls credit, she replied I have no idea, I'm just told to say it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS how exactly does that extended warrantee work, you already have the best warrantee in the industry 10yr/100,000?, and you're only at 82,000 miles, Reminds me of going to the dentist here in the U.S, they always ask when getting teeth cleaned, do you want the basic co-pay" cleaning, or the clean clean option. one time I asked out of curiosity, what's the difference, to the girls credit, she replied I have no idea, I'm just told to say it.
It's a 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Hyundai's 100,000 mile warranty is a limited powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car made this same noise. Just at startup and then immediately went away. They replaced the short block and said there was scoring in the cylinder walls. Just got my car back yesterday and on cold start it is still making the same noise!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Alot of oil change shops stock the OEM Hyundai filter and will "upgrade you to it" upon request.

Mr.Lube charges like $10 to upgrade.

I am totally against quick lube shops so please no one think I am recommending them.

As a teenager and then again as a young adult I had worked in a few.

At one point I oversaw 4 locations and the horror stories I can tell would make you not even want to drive by one.

Do this elantra a favor put some decent oil in it an OEM filter and see if it gets better.
If it is the filter after the oil change from the second start you will know its now ok.
Would you mind sharing some of these stories?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not so much for the noisy startup........but I hear the ticking sound after warm-up....,.that's really sounds like short block problem.......just took mine in today with that annoying ticking sound........they ordered the short block.........it's a known problem with certain 1.8 engines manufactured between 2011 and 2013.........improper protective coating during manufacture!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just FYI, but I fail to see how an oil filter is going to drain oil back into the engine when it isn't mounted horizontally. The aniti drainback valves are specifically placed there for vehicles that have filters mounted sideways on the engines. With our car it shouldn't matter one bit. The tech that said what he did likely wanted to make it a non warranty issue and more a user cost issue.

The only thing I would recommend is to make sure it has the correct 5w-20 oil in it and not something like 10w-30. Heavier oil would definately make the car tick badly at startup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts