Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got the fluid fully swapped and refilled today. I had an unfortunate setback because I stripped the T40 torx drain bolt.

Anyways, the car definitely shifts more smooth and feels good. About 1/2 of the fluid was blackish, the other half was a darker red. My car has about 82k miles on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I made my first change on my 2007 VC at a shop using a winns flushing machine.
Now I will change the fluid on my 2011 VC at home.
The idea is to disconnect the hose leaving the radiator.
At the radiator end I will connect another hose and this will exit the old oil to a jug.
At the hose that goes to the transmission I will connect a hose coming from a 11L jug filled with new oil and elevated at motor level.
I will start the motor and I believe the tranny fluid pump will suck the new oil and push the old out making the exact same service of the winns flushing machine.

Do you guys think this idea will work?
Thanks in advance for your opinion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
piuric, that will work, however only do about 4 quarts at a time so you are running the system dry.]

Also, you should plug your extra hose to the metal hose coming from the car and put it in a bucket. I thought the rubber hose coming from the car was where the flood would come from, but boy was I wrong... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Video of ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid Change, Veracruz

Well I tried it today on my 2010 Veracruz with 140.000km, but the idea of feeding the hose that goes back to the transmission with new ATF fluid did not work.
For some reason the hose did not sucked the new ATF Fluid.
So I did a version of GSleeve idea but with the upper ATF Cooling hose exiting the old ATF fluid instead.

Thank you GSleeve for the post and hope my video can help someone.

I will upload it tomorrow on my youtube channel, just search for piuric channel and the video will be there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a transmission shop for 12 years, have a 2008 VC with 136,000 miles on it. Fluid has been changed every 40K miles at a shop with a flush machine, to save $100. why take a chance on buggering up a $5000. tranny?? If you don't get all the air out,, not good.. Love my Veracruz!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Every 30-40k I get a full fluid exchange at my local transmission shop. Use Valvoline Maxlife ATF (full synthetic). Great fluid that meets SPIII Hyundai/KIA spec.

·
Registered
25 Posts
t-55 and t-45 bolts

Hello . Great knowledge. thank you. Still not sure where the t-55 (fill) and t-45 (drain-level check) BOLTS ARE LOCATED.
tHANK YOU.
DOUG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great Reading. Now where are the exact locations of the t-55 and t-45 torx heads?
tHANK YOU.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Vera cruz,, fun time.. I had to hit the service manual to figure it out..

Fill port is on top of transmission case.. remove air inlet tube from core support to air box,, look down to right,, spy a large TORX head screw

Drain is made via removal if overflow tube,,,, bottom of trans case, spy a small TORX head screw,, remove that first,,, then use a 17mm hex bit to remove the overflow tube,,, which act as drain plug..

After drain, re-install tube...... leave the plug out

Fill ATF using the proper ATF as called out in manual,, when unit full, ATF dribble out the overflow tube,, then install plug at bottom,, and install plug at top

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
"LCPLPunk"...save your typing fingers grc, last active over 2 yrs ago!

·
Registered
285 Posts
1st off No such thing as OEM ATF fluid Lasting Life-Time i know many read this in there owners manual But its Just Not true.! So if someone keeps there vehicle for 30 years same ATF fluid because it reads in the owners manual never change it. do You really think its going to work right after at all that time.? No, thats a wording the manufacturer is using in the owners manual into thinking that You never need to change ATF fluid there by saving You money $ but what are You realy saving when the trans starts acting up or breaks all together lol

Listen Therers No substatute than using OEM fresh clean ATF Fluid in a expensive transmission why risk it.? ask Youself at home in the Kitchen would You use the same frying Oil over-&-over thats burnt black to fry Your food again & again over im guessing probably not lol.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I performed this procedure this last weekend, and wanted to make a quick clarification. On my 2010 VeraCruz Limited AWD, the level check screw was a T40, not T45. It looks like both sizes have been mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am aware that this thread is old, nonetheless this information may shed some light on performing maintenance on a fill for life transmission, and how to perform this procedure. I could not find a procedure outlining the steps to take however I have performed this procedure on all the automatic transmissions I have owned in the past (yet the all had a filler tube) and it has worked wonders.

This weekend, I just changed out over 10qts of transmission fluid from a 2007 Veracruz total capacity is 10.9 liters which equates to 11.5 qts (I believe)

1. Tools needed for fill plub torx-t55, drain check plug torx-t45, IR gun, funnel.
2. Fluid Valvoline Max Life synthetic fluid that meets the jw3309 spec from hyundai
3. Two bottles lubeguard red.

First one needs to remove the black air duct two black plastic screws connected to the top of the railing of the car. Once removed try to use the t55 torx to crack open the fill plug it is really tight.

Go underneath and remove the plastic cowel there are about 8 bolts.

Go back to the engine compartment. Looking down you will see two rubber coolant lines with clips holding them to the transmission cooler. Remove the the bottom coolant line and direct it straight down to where you removed the bottom engine cowel.

Direct the hose into a gallon jug that is marked to measure 4qts. Have an assistant start the vehicle with the emergency brake on and vehicle in park. Allow the jug to fill up to the half way mark, tell assistant to shut vehicle off. Pour in 4qts of Valvoline max life full synthetic tranny fluid using a funnel. Reason for over fill is NOT to allow the tranny to run dry.

Start vehicle again and and allow fluid to fill to the 4qt marking made on the gallon jug, shut car off. Get another jug marked the same way. Start vehicle and run until the fluid reaches measured 4qt marking. Stop vehicle and pour in another gallon of Valvoline maxlife full synthetic fluid.

At this point you should have drained 2 gallons of fluid and refilled transmission with two gallons of fluid.

Grab another jug with the 4qt marking, make another marking at the half way point. Start vehicle and fill to the half way mark and stop engine. Refill transmission to with another (half gallon only).

Raise vehicle in the air and on jack stands have assistant put car in drive and raise the vehicle to 55-60 mphs and run this for about five minutes, have them let of the gas and allow the mph to fall to zero and place the vehicle in park.

Use the IR gun and point it to the bottom of the transmission to take a reading then point the IR gun to the transmission pan and take a reading between the two readings you will need to get between this temperature range 120-140 degrees. If the reading is not there yet, repeat process of jacking car in the air and race engine to 50-60 mph to lock torque converter and heat the tranny fluid.

Drop the vehicle and have the assistant press on the brake and place the vehicle in R, N, D, and other gears pausing in between for 2 seconds, now have them reach to the Park again pausing for two seconds in between gears.

Us the IR gun take the temp readings, once these readings are between 120-140 degrees (preferably the lower allows time to check fluid level).

It is a must the vehicle needs to be running in park. Place a pan underneath and use the torx t45 to loosen bolt and remove this bolt, transmission fluid should flow at a steady stream or a drip (preferably at a slow drip), if no transmission fluid is coming out, put plug back in tighten and shut vehicle down. Add half a quart of transmission fluid and add the two bottles of lubegard red.

If you are at a slow drip then add two bottles of the lubeguard transmission protectant.

Your done. Hope this helps (oh by the way the original fluid from the veracruz was black for the first two gallons and became red on the the third gallon).
i am at the step for T-45 and it will not fit into transmission plug,.i tried t-40, it will not fit. i am trying to but t-35 but it is not manufactured bt any one in the world. HELP?please.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts