Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,
We have owned a 2007 Veracruz Limited AWD (71k miles) now for about 3 weeks. It has been an absolute money pit so far. Issue after issue after issue. Backup sensors buzzing constantly, front sway bar links knocking, rear sway bar links knocking, rear shocks, Rear Seat Entertainment controls went dead and stopped working (but the volume works, strange), and now the sunroof tilts up but doesn't close.
After close inspection, it appears the right guide rail, that is made of plastic, yes plastic!! Just cracked. broke right in half at the top. So, when it tries to close it hits the broken part of the rail and just stops leaving it cracked open. Looked online at several places for the part, thinking it would be about $30, But no.... $110 bucks for a plastic piece of crap!!! There is more plastic in a hair brush than this guide. Not to mention the plastic in the brush is 100x's stonger.
SUV came from Michigan, so I really don't think the hot weather had much to do with it.
My questions are these: Has only anyone had a similar issue? Is there some secret place to get this part cheap?

OR FINALLY....
Should I just cut my losses and move this thing down the road?? My wife loves the car, and it is absolutely gorgeous with the redish colored interior, but geez.... It's nearly worse than owning a boat so far!!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
few things...

first, welcome
secondly, sorry your first post is not a good one. have you tried rockauto.com? used auto parts store (read: junkyard)?

i have a '08 model, and we have had few issues with it. being used, it's the 'box of chocolates' analagy. you never know what you are going to get. was it certified? i'm guessing it wasn't. sounds as if it was abused more than anything.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
OR FINALLY....
Should I just cut my losses and move this thing down the road?? My wife loves the car, and it is absolutely gorgeous with the redish colored interior, but geez.... It's nearly worse than owning a boat so far!!!
Geez, that's what owners of other cars normally ask themselves after changing the transmission four times under warranty and having the factory paint peel off in sheets :)

Sway bar links are a common (and inexpensive) Hyundai weak point; next time go aftermarket with metal bushings instead of plastic. Shocks wear out on all cars eventually... a normal cost of ownership. As for the electronic doodads, consider living without them as they fail. There's nothing worse than trying to keep a gadget-laden car like new.. sometimes it's better to simply adjust one's standards as the car ages.

Beyond that the Veracruz is a solid ride that should give you years of reliable service. Consider a thorough inspection before making a decision. (Tip: Check the valve cover gasket for oil seepage... cheap to fix but costly if it fouls the alternator.).

Good luck,
Don

Edit: Regarding the sunroof fix, if $110 for a piece of plastic bugs you (it would bug me too), buy a fiberglass resin repair kit and learn how to use it. That has saved me from replacing many things around the house due to random plastic bits breaking.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i missed the part of the shocks. i had to replace my rear shocks this summer. after a trip from KC to Dallas to San Antonio to Corpus Christi and back...one of my shocks blew a seal. i ordered online, got them for like $60, spend less than an hour replacing them. very easy job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issues but not luck yet

Hello Folks,
We have owned a 2007 Veracruz Limited AWD (71k miles) now for about 3 weeks. It has been an absolute money pit so far. Issue after issue after issue. Backup sensors buzzing constantly, front sway bar links knocking, rear sway bar links knocking, rear shocks, Rear Seat Entertainment controls went dead and stopped working (but the volume works, strange), and now the sunroof tilts up but doesn't close.
After close inspection, it appears the right guide rail, that is made of plastic, yes plastic!! Just cracked. broke right in half at the top. So, when it tries to close it hits the broken part of the rail and just stops leaving it cracked open. Looked online at several places for the part, thinking it would be about $30, But no.... $110 bucks for a plastic piece of crap!!! There is more plastic in a hair brush than this guide. Not to mention the plastic in the brush is 100x's stonger.
SUV came from Michigan, so I really don't think the hot weather had much to do with it.
My questions are these: Has only anyone had a similar issue? Is there some secret place to get this part cheap?

OR FINALLY....

I have the same problem with my sun roof but the guide rails are broken on both sides so if we put it back it wont' close. We bought ours used and it worked about 3 times and then after we bought it, it wouldn't work anymore. We're thinking of soldering it into place temporarily as the dealer said to replace the whole sunroof at a cost of $2,000! They seemed in competent though about more than just this issue I've brought to them. I think we might try the fiberglass resin repair kit that someone else suggested

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2008 Veracruz Limited, bought new 6 years ago. My little plastic rail on my sunroof just had the same problem happen over last weekend. The back vent would go up, but not down, and I found one of the rails broken (same thing you described).

I have an appointment at my Hyundai dealer tomorrow for them to order whatever parts. But fortunately I will not need to worry about the cost...

See, when I bought that Veracruz new the business manager guy at the dealer upsold me on a Compass (brand, the company) Platinum Wrap warranty for 10 years, 100,000 miles bumper-to-bumper coverage. I think I paid $1,500 extra for that Compass warranty. But you know what - best $1,500 I ever spent!

A couple of months ago the horns on my Veracruz went out. Normal cost for the dealer to replace those (since they need to remove the bumper) is $400. Cost to me - $0 - because of the Compass warranty.

Last winter there were a couple of wheel speed sensors that went bad at different times. Each time the dealer invoice cost was between $600 and $800 for each of the repairs. Cost to me - $0 because of the Compass warranty.

Heck, I even had a plastic latch on the center glove/cooling box console break (just wear and tear). To replace that was $110 at the dealer. My cost $0 on the warranty.

I have to say that my Veracruz has had its fair share of repairs needed, but this Compass Platinum Wrap warranty has been GREAT. They have covered every repair with a $0 deductible (if the work is done at the dealer I bought it at, $100 deductible if work is done elsewhere). They pay the dealer directly, so I just sign the zeroed out invoice and walk out every time. The next time I buy another new car, I will specifically look to find and buy this Compass brand warranty.

In fact, now that I am at 85K miles when I hit about 95K miles, I am going to pay the dealer to do a bumper-to-bumper inspection. I want them to look for every other possible thing that could be wrong with my Veracruz before it hits 100K miles and the Compass warranty ends. Because even if I pay them $300 to do that careful inspection, it will be worth it if they find even one or two repairs needed that the Compass warranty covered.

P.S. I do not work for Compass. I am just a really pleased customer with how good their extended warranty turned out to be. I waffled at first on buying it, but decided to and now have been so happy I did.

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
Close the roof and forget it.. there is no directions in service manual for roof, there is no training courses for roof.. sunroofs are a learn as you go thing,, interior will get pretty well gutted, so clean it out so they dont have to,, car should given to them the same condition as received from Hyundai off transport -- EMPTY--

Seen roof junk where new parts from Hyundai had to be carefully taken apart to be able to assemble new parts (somebody got ahead of game),,, lot of select words heard over there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ours just failed..
Ordering the parts as both are cracked.

Looks like a bear of a job
Headliner looking like it has to come out.

This same sunroof is on several Hyundai and Kia.

Ours is a 2011 Veracruz.

I'm not a happy camper..

I'll do the work myself.

Also the car is kept in garage so heat cannot be a factor.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
Also this same sunroof is used on several Hyundai models and Kia models also.

Very poor design

I wish I would have epoxy

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Remove headliner..

Remove roof rack to table top

Replace broken parts

Assemble back into car

Me, I'd leave it closed and put money into something that appreciate,,,, 401, IRA, 529, Mortgage, ROTH.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same issue as my tilt will no longer fully tilt down nor will the roof retract back. I do not see any broken or cracked plastic slides unless I just cannot get my head at an angle to see what I'm looking for. lol
Next question: I keep hearing the interior ceiling has to be dropped and sunroof assembly completely removed.... WHY cant the glass top just be removed by the 4 mounting bolts and gain access to the slides that way from the roof of the vehicle? Btw the plastic slides I see are about 8" long that tilt the glass upwards.... are we talking about the entire Track that goes into the roof towards the back seat is the part that dealers want to replace??

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
I have the same issue as my tilt will no longer fully tilt down nor will the roof retract back. I do not see any broken or cracked plastic slides unless I just cannot get my head at an angle to see what I'm looking for. lol
Next question: I keep hearing the interior ceiling has to be dropped and sunroof assembly completely removed.... WHY cant the glass top just be removed by the 4 mounting bolts and gain access to the slides that way from the roof of the vehicle? Btw the plastic slides I see are about 8" long that tilt the glass upwards.... are we talking about the entire Track that goes into the roof towards the back seat is the part that dealers want to replace??
Read posts number 8 & number 11 carefully

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.