Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the Veracruz getting 18/25 mpg with its 3.8L V6?

The Santa Fe weighs 400 to 500 lbs less (depending on 5/7 seats and FWD/AWD), but it gets between 19/24 and 20/25 mpg (again, depending on the trim). And the Santa Fe is only a 3.3L V6.

That's two big factors (weight and engine size) that should put the Santa Fe way ahead in mileage, but the Veracruz just about matches it somehow.

Also- are the Veracruz numbers obtained from the new EPA system for measuring, or will its mileage go down next year along with all other vehicles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overall aerodynamics also play a factor although I think the biggest factor is the extra gear. The Santa Fe has a 5-speed automatic and the Veracruz has a 6-speed automatic.

·
3,735 Posts
I drove by a dealer last night and saw the Veracruz there, so of course I had to stop and look. I noticed the 25 MPG highway figure and had to question whether that was the old or new number myself. It looked to good to be the new numbers, and I was right - that's the old method of calculation.

New: 15 city, 22 highway, 18 combined for the 4WD; 16 city, 23 highway, 18 combined for the 2WD.

They had it parked next to a Santa Fe - quite a bit of difference between those two. The Veracruz looks to me like it isn't as upright and "truck-like" as the Santa Fe. Having the extra gear is likely a tremendous help, along with the different profile...

·
Registered
8 Posts
We live in Alberta and drive to Nevada regularly, trip meter after 7000 miles stated 24.9 mpg which I think is good for the size of the Veracruz, mostly at 75MPH. Great SUV!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I get 25 on the highway consistantly - even with all five of us onboard! I too was amazed at the mpg's that the Veracruz can get! I have just under 10k on mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the last 2 posts about getting >24mpg...these have got to be all highway miles. I am half and half, both highway and city, and I am avg 16.8 on a full tank of gas at about 17.8 gallons fill up every time, yes I drive till the light comes on. If I drive it hard and/or no highway then I can get as low as 14. I haven't checked the all highway mpg so I will have to check this out. I have put 1000 on mine and I bought it 1 month ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just rechecked today combined city/highway right on 20 MPG. We live on an acreage 15 miles out of town so I'm happy with that,, I'm not 16 so my driving style is conducive to better mileage and no squealing tires :beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My mileage, mostly highway, is not as good. Average through 17,000 km (10,000 miles) is 12.7 l/100km or 18.6 miles per gallon (US). I was expecting an average of 11.5 to 12 l/100km.

The ride, comfort and amenities amply cover for the mileage though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just did a trip up through northern Michigan(1200 klm's) and got a solid 11.2L/100klm with translates to 21 MPG on the US gallon. I was hoping for a bit better but that will come in time I assume. I only have about 5000klm on my buggy so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Highway I consistently get from 24.5 mpg up to 26 mpg - usually close to 25 though. City it drops down to 16 - 18. I have to think the extra gear in the tranny helps. I've got just over 17k since November and 75% are probably highway miles. Sorry, no metric translation :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally had a chance to check highway mileage on my wife's 2008 VC when we drove to Oklahoma from IL in August. Best I could do was 23 mpg, whether eastbound or westbound. For those of you who might be using the digital display mpg figure, I've had those on several cars now, and they're always optimistic by at least 1 mpg.

al

·
Registered
593 Posts
I am getting about 19mpg on my commute route - a mix of city and hwy with a fair bit of traffic slow downs. I used to get around 20mpg on the same route with my '07 Santa Fe Limited. Pretty much agrees with the EPA numbers on both cars.

I am pretty light on the loud pedal and try my best to avoid having to pull these heavy Utes from a standing start, which burns a lot of fuel.

Steady 65mph cruise returns about 23mpg for me. Again right at the EPA hwy number. I can push that up to 24-25 if I slow down to 50-55mph cruising, but that can start to **** off other drivers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (Volfy @ Oct 29 2009, 11:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=274761
I am getting about 19mpg on my commute route - a mix of city and hwy with a fair bit of traffic slow downs. I used to get around 20mpg on the same route with my '07 Santa Fe Limited. Pretty much agrees with the EPA numbers on both cars.

I am pretty light on the loud pedal and try my best to avoid having to pull these heavy Utes from a standing start, which burns a lot of fuel.

Steady 65mph cruise returns about 23mpg for me. Again right at the EPA hwy number. I can push that up to 24-25 if I slow down to 50-55mph cruising, but that can start to **** off other drivers.

You slow down to 55 in Houston? You must have a death wish!!! I'll be in Houston tomorrow around noon and driving to Lake Charles and even not being a local, I'll be doing in the 70-80 area to keep the guy behind me out of my tail pipe.
I do agree that slowin down to mid 50's gets better milage, but you gotta pick a safe deserted road to do that, not Houston :grin:

·
Registered
593 Posts
QUOTE (Rob_b @ Nov 1 2009, 05:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=275236
You slow down to 55 in Houston? You must have a death wish!!! I'll be in Houston tomorrow around noon and driving to Lake Charles and even not being a local, I'll be doing in the 70-80 area to keep the guy behind me out of my tail pipe.
I do agree that slowin down to mid 50's gets better milage, but you gotta pick a safe deserted road to do that, not Houston :grin:
I used to drive to BR a lot. That I-10 is always in construction.

Yes, it is possible to drive 55, even in Houston. You do have to pick the time, place and manner very carefully. Best way to do it is to find another car that is going slow, and stay behind it. That way, other drivers will assume you are stuck behind a slow poke and won't blame you.

Now that the weather has cooled off, so I don't have to have the A/C on constantly, I am actually getting 20+mpg commuting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a 2007 GLS AWD. The best i've ever had is 25 mpg on an all interstate trip. For the most part I do in town driving in the mountians of southwestern Virginia, so I average around 16.5 per tank. Some of my interstate trips around here I've only gotten 22 or 21 mpg because we have a lot of mountains. But for a vehicle this size, it's pretty good. My sister has a Hondal Pilot and get slightly better gas mileage than her. Occassionaly I'll have a tank get 15 mpg, but it all depends on how I drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i love my Veracruz but the MPG is terrible! How is everyone getting better mileage? Did I get a lemon? Mostly city driving we get 11- 13mpg! What do I need to do fix this?
Thanks
Robereny

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
My wife has a 2008 VC limited. Most of the time on mixed driving she gets 18.5. Long trips it may hit 19.5. Very poor considering it has 20K and other are stating 22+ mpg highway. We have never got over 19.8 even on straight HW.

I think I'm going to bring it in... something ain't right. The avg MPG meter will drop .1 mpg at a long light.
Nice car but sucks gas like my old Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get the same as you Butkus....I dont think anything is wrong ...just the nature of the beast.....I have an 08 limited also...I think these higher MPG's you are seeing are either just FWD or people arent being totally honest.....

41 Posts
Is the MPG a cumulative total or does it start to recalculate after you reset the trip mileage. I am wondering how some of you are calculating just highway MPG.

Oops...never mind..I actually looked in the manual. DUH

·
Registered
4 Posts
I keep the MPG numbers displayed on my 2010, but every time I fill the tank the numbers drop down to single digits for a while. On one occasion the display went to all dashes for a short time then finally came back up. Anybody else seen that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts