Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a VeraCruz SE 2008 (U.S. Import) with just over 100K miles on the clock.

Yesterday evening, while driving on the highway the ESC OFF, ABS and Brake warning lights came on simultaneously and abruptly and stayed on. I pulled over as soon as could and switched off the engine for a few minutes. About 10 minutes after moving off the same happened. And so this went on until I reached home, thankfully just 30km away. There was no loss of power and I could brake, but obviously I did so very cautiously having checked the Owners Manual to read "If both the ABS and Brake warning lights are on and stay on, your vehicle's brake system will not work normally during sudden braking". Unsettling to say the least when you are on a busy highway in the dark and heavy rain.

The nearest Hyundai dealer's service dept couldn't guarantee they could look at it today so I took it in to a local garage who ran a scan - turned out error code # C2380 - ABS valve error. Beyond their scope. So I took it up to the dealership who squeezed me in and confirmed that it was a defect in the ABS HECU ( hydraulic electronic control unit). I'd read on the web that sometimes that error code could result from a defective wheel sensor or brake switch, but they said it was definitely the ABS module and that oil had leaked onto the contacts. And the quote for changing the ABS module - $CAN 2035.87 just for the part plus 3 hours labor - total $CAN 2271.85 !!!

Taken aback, I asked whether it was OK to drive the vehicle in the meantime. I was assured that I wouldn't any lose power or the ability to brake but, with the automatic braking system disabled, there was a greater risk of skidding if I braked abruptly and that when braking 'normally' I should slow down sooner and gently 'pump' the brakes - basically as if I were driving an older car with purely 'manual' brakes.

What concerns me though is reading what would appear to be similar accounts of ABS module failure on the VeraCruz where there has been loss of engine power and braking power and where the dealership has advised the vehicle is unsafe to drive.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Veracruz/2008/brakes/service_brakes.shtml

What to do? The local Hyundai dealer wouldn't be able do the repair for another week and I said that I would try to find a better price on the part over the next couple of days. I was hoping that Rock Auto, who I've bought discount genuine parts from before, might stock it, but no. Can anyone suggest who else might in Canada ?

The Hyundai part# is - 58910-3J950 Hydraulic module

·
Registered
10 Posts
WorBry,

I have the same problem, albeit for a 2007 model. Took it to dealer and they informed me that the ABS controller had sprung a leak inside, messing with the circuitry and essentially rendering the module inoperable. Astonishingly, my vehicle has only 71,000 km on it. Sadly, since I am out of warranty I am up the creek,and I too, was quoted $2000+ for a new ABS controller, installed.

I am searching for a used controller at an auto recycler currently.

I DID have loss of engine power intermittently, with occasional engine stalling when rolling up to a stop light.

Sorry I couldn't assist. I just wanted to chime in to let you know you weren't alone in your troubles.

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi WorBry,

I have exactly the same problem. My ABS, ESC and Brake warning lights (Hyundai Veracruz 2008) came off while driving from Yellowstone to Calgary. I did not notice any difference in driving and braking though. But when I got to Calgary after a 10 hour drive, I brought it to a friend mechanic who gave the same diagnosis as an ABS valve malfunction. I was quoted about the same amount to have it fixed with the dealership. I wonder if this is happening to more veracruzes out there and if this can be a part of a recall campaign. Anyone, please help. Thank you.

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts