Hyundai Forums banner

Ventilated seat not working properly

22K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Mim71 
#1 ·
2017 SFS 2.0T Ult with ventilated seat. We didn't use the function until recently. It worked as expected the first time on a road trip. Very comfortable. After that both my wife and I feel the cooling is weak and we can barely feel it.

Today when I turned on the cooling, I noticed the back is getting a little bit hot! I turned it off but still feel a little bit warm, until I restart the car. The cushion is as usual very slightly cooling but not significant at all. I swear I didn't push on the wrong switch.

Anyone had similar problem?

#2 ·
Hyundai and Kia ventilated seats aren’t that great compare to other manufacturers, it uses a very weak fan to push cold air towards the seat. My SF XL seats aren’t that cool either compare to my Lexus RX, over at the Optima forum there was a discussion about this as well. You can try to set the fan towards the floor and that will boost up the air going towards the seat, that seems to do the trick but then again you’re not pushing air towards the top. Try it and see if it works and GL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Keep in mind that this system is only using the cabin air. It is not cold air directly from the HVAC system. As Dino suggested.....Diverting the HVAC to blend mode or to the floor will help to get cooler air to the seats, but it will be at the expense of less upper cabin cooling.....

#4 ·
Yeah, too bad Hyundai doesn't use an active cooler (Peltier?) like the Ford Edge (and I think some of the F-150) trucks do.
That actually runs electric current somehow that cools it.

Of course, Ford had a design flaw (even in the 2017 Edge last I looked) where it wouldn't cool the back at all. Some guy used a 3D printer to replace the fabric "sock" that Ford put in to direct the cold air, with a plastic "vent" that resolved the issue.

I know that a local car upholstery place here sells heated/cooled seats with the active cooling. I was going to inquire if I could just purchase the cooling unit, but it looks like it's integrated in the seat (theoretically I'm sure one could tear it out).

LOL!

The Hyundai seems to really only work if the vehicle is cool already. If it's been out in the hot sun, it just doesn't do much, IMO, even with the blend.

But I did know that going in (Kia had the same issue, although I thought the Sorento was a touch better on the ventilation part vs. the SFS).

#16 ·
2017 SFS 2.0T Ult with ventilated seat. We didn't use the function until recently. It worked as expected the first time on a road trip. Very comfortable. After that both my wife and I feel the cooling is weak and we can barely feel it.

Today when I turned on the cooling, I noticed the back is getting a little bit hot! I turned it off but still feel a little bit warm, until I restart the car. The cushion is as usual very slightly cooling but not significant at all. I swear I didn't push on the wrong switch.

Anyone had similar problem?
100% EXACT same problem. Solutions?

#17 ·
Well, only a year late to this party, but I'm having the same issue and my Hyundai dealer is saying the fans are working. I can tell you, with the AC on and in a cool car or hot car, doesn't matter, I feel NO COOLING from the seats. It used to work great and it was very obvious that the seats were doing what they were designed to do. My dealer's service department is basically shrugging their shoulders at this. Not impressed.

#18 ·
our elantra passenger side seat on low is way better than driver side on high. i raised the seat up as high as i could, and looked under, i could see/hear the motor going, and changing speeds. putting my hand on the seat, i could feel the air. lowered it back down, and it went away. some days i can feel it ok, other days, it is like it is not there. both seats on the sonata work very well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.