Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 SFS 2.0T Ult with ventilated seat. We didn't use the function until recently. It worked as expected the first time on a road trip. Very comfortable. After that both my wife and I feel the cooling is weak and we can barely feel it.

Today when I turned on the cooling, I noticed the back is getting a little bit hot! I turned it off but still feel a little bit warm, until I restart the car. The cushion is as usual very slightly cooling but not significant at all. I swear I didn't push on the wrong switch.

Anyone had similar problem?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hyundai and Kia ventilated seats aren’t that great compare to other manufacturers, it uses a very weak fan to push cold air towards the seat. My SF XL seats aren’t that cool either compare to my Lexus RX, over at the Optima forum there was a discussion about this as well. You can try to set the fan towards the floor and that will boost up the air going towards the seat, that seems to do the trick but then again you’re not pushing air towards the top. Try it and see if it works and GL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Keep in mind that this system is only using the cabin air. It is not cold air directly from the HVAC system. As Dino suggested.....Diverting the HVAC to blend mode or to the floor will help to get cooler air to the seats, but it will be at the expense of less upper cabin cooling.....

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
768 Posts
Yeah, too bad Hyundai doesn't use an active cooler (Peltier?) like the Ford Edge (and I think some of the F-150) trucks do.
That actually runs electric current somehow that cools it.

Of course, Ford had a design flaw (even in the 2017 Edge last I looked) where it wouldn't cool the back at all. Some guy used a 3D printer to replace the fabric "sock" that Ford put in to direct the cold air, with a plastic "vent" that resolved the issue.

I know that a local car upholstery place here sells heated/cooled seats with the active cooling. I was going to inquire if I could just purchase the cooling unit, but it looks like it's integrated in the seat (theoretically I'm sure one could tear it out).

LOL!

The Hyundai seems to really only work if the vehicle is cool already. If it's been out in the hot sun, it just doesn't do much, IMO, even with the blend.

But I did know that going in (Kia had the same issue, although I thought the Sorento was a touch better on the ventilation part vs. the SFS).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dang, I always thought it was getting air from the A/C somehow. Now I have to try it when the vehicle is hot because I have never noticed it being anything but cool air. I live in Texas so won't have to wait long to test.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Dang, I always thought it was getting air from the A/C somehow. Now I have to try it when the vehicle is hot because I have never noticed it being anything but cool air. I live in Texas so won't have to wait long to test.
We live in the South, and have used the seat cooling feature a number of times on 90+ degree days - we feel it works very well on our 2018 SPS Ultimate. In fact, we feel we're "spoiled" in being so comfortable inside our SUV on those hot days when many folks are suffering without the feature.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We live in the South, and have used the seat cooling feature a number of times on 90+ degree days - we feel it works very well on our 2018 SPS Ultimate. In fact, we feel we're "spoiled" in being so comfortable inside our SUV on those hot days when many folks are suffering without the feature.
Yeah I have to agree , my 2018 freezes your butt and back...the low setting is all I can tolerate.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Yes, we have it on our 2014 and it works great!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The ventilated seats don't seem to do much on my 2014 SFS 2.0T awd down here in the south. Is there a secret to get more air or more cold air for those who are blessed with it working?

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's been in the 90's this week...and the cooled seats are working nicely here.
Yeah I have to agree , my 2018 freezes your butt and back...the low setting is all I can tolerate.
Yes, we have it on our 2014 and it works great!
The ventilated seats don't seem to do much on my 2014 SFS 2.0T awd down here in the south. Is there a secret to get more air or more cold air for those who are blessed with it working?
Turn on the switch? :grin2:

Since it's a 3-speed device..wondering if the switch indeed has some kind of issue. Dealer could tell you.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
768 Posts
Turn on the switch? :grin2:

Since it's a 3-speed device..wondering if the switch indeed has some kind of issue. Dealer could tell you.
It's possible the 2018's have better fans or something.
Also, I imagine the color of the interior has some effect as well (ie, I have black leather interior vs. say the gray, etc.)

It seems that my roomate's 2014 SFS (non-turbo, I think the 2.4?) gray interior seems to work a tad better than mine (2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate with black).

Although on the 3 2017 SFS vehicles I test drove (plus mine), if the vehicle had been out in the sun, the cooling didn't seem to work very well (the fan works because you can hear it at "level 3" vs. 2, vs. 1).

Although I vaguely recall there was one post in the forums here about 1.5 years ago where someone had a fan that didn't blow (or it blew, but you could put a kleenex on the seat and it wouldn't move all, which indicates improper airflow, IMO).

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's possible the 2018's have better fans or something.
Also, I imagine the color of the interior has some effect as well (ie, I have black leather interior vs. say the gray, etc.)

It seems that my roomate's 2014 SFS (non-turbo, I think the 2.4?) gray interior seems to work a tad better than mine (2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate with black).

Although on the 3 2017 SFS vehicles I test drove (plus mine), if the vehicle had been out in the sun, the cooling didn't seem to work very well (the fan works because you can hear it at "level 3" vs. 2, vs. 1).

Although I vaguely recall there was one post in the forums here about 1.5 years ago where someone had a fan that didn't blow (or it blew, but you could put a kleenex on the seat and it wouldn't move all, which indicates improper airflow, IMO).
Thanks for sharing that info. I'm sure it can only help with a diagnosis, and underscores you need some help one way or the other.

You could be right that the interior color, as well as time in the sun, and impact the cooling time (just like it does for air conditioning in general).

If it were my vehicle, I'd still have the dealer check out the switch and fan (under warranty), as it is not performing well for you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
my 2017 works fine, I love the feature.
yes, send cool air to feet/face mix so you get cool air under the seat.
but just the fact that there is air around is much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 SFS 2.0T Ult with ventilated seat. We didn't use the function until recently. It worked as expected the first time on a road trip. Very comfortable. After that both my wife and I feel the cooling is weak and we can barely feel it.

Today when I turned on the cooling, I noticed the back is getting a little bit hot! I turned it off but still feel a little bit warm, until I restart the car. The cushion is as usual very slightly cooling but not significant at all. I swear I didn't push on the wrong switch.

Anyone had similar problem?
100% EXACT same problem. Solutions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts