Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am farely new to the forums. I just bought my 2014 Hyunda Santa Fe 2.0T Sport AWD last November. I love my car and how it drives. However, I always hear this sounds which sounds like a vent popping, vent coming, or something popping loose sound. It comes directly from the engine compartment.

I've been to the dealership several times about the issue. I even left my car there over a weekend. The service advisor and technician can't get the exact sound to reappear.

The sound occurs 5 to 10 minutes after I put the car in drive. Its very subtle but apparent and to me sounds like something is coming loose or popping off.

The service advisor who rode with the technician in my car this past weekend said that it could be the rotars coming free. This is how I understood it when he told me so I am not exactly sure. My coworker says it maybe a vent opening up to allow cool air to enter--also mentioned by a service advisor in a previous visit.

I've been scouring this forum and the internet to see if I can find a similar sound to be more exact but I keep coming up empty. Anyone got any clue what this sound maybe?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am farely new to the forums. I just bought my 2014 Hyunda Santa Fe 2.0T Sport AWD last November. I love my car and how it drives. However, I always hear this sounds which sounds like a vent popping, vent coming, or something popping loose sound. It comes directly from the engine compartment.

I've been to the dealership several times about the issue. I even left my car there over a weekend. The service advisor and technician can't get the exact sound to reappear.

The sound occurs 5 to 10 minutes after I put the car in drive. Its very subtle but apparent and to me sounds like something is coming loose or popping off.

The service advisor who rode with the technician in my car this past weekend said that it could be the rotars coming free. This is how I understood it when he told me so I am not exactly sure. My coworker says it maybe a vent opening up to allow cool air to enter--also mentioned by a service advisor in a previous visit.

I've been scouring this forum and the internet to see if I can find a similar sound to be more exact but I keep coming up empty. Anyone got any clue what this sound maybe?
So it's while you're driving correct? Not starting from a stop, or vice versa? I know the 13's had a recall for one of the motor mounts not being installed correctly, wonder if it's the same thing?

·
Registered
622 Posts

Do you have a roof rack?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Carmine,

I dont have a roof rack. The sound occurs aft 5 to 10 minutes of putting the transmisson in drive and starting to drive the car. However, when I am driving the car out of the parking lot to go home from work, the sound doesnt occur. I park in a parking garage and I mostly let the car idle out using the cars momentum and gravity do the work. So the sound is happening I gradually acclerate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But why would that occur when initially starting to drive the car? How come it would make a sound that I could hear? I test drove a 2014 Hyundai Santa fe 2.0T AWD with tech package and didn't hear the sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
181 Posts
yeah, I was thinking it's the turbo dump. Does using the eco button have any effect on this.

pressures in the turbo do alter slightly after the car comes up to temperature so it could be the dump valve closing (hotter air has lower pressure). At the time you hear the noise are at a point where you would be expecting the turbo to be delivering a lot of boost.

Also, the 5 - 10 minute time makes me wonder about the cooling system. 5 - 10 minutes is about the amount of time it takes my car to come up to temp. Could it be the thermostat? It's a spring loaded metal valve that would be opening at that time, but it's small so I would expect it would have to be pretty quiet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think its a turbo valve releasing air. Today, driving to work and coming home, the sound more closely resembled a popping sound. Its direction is coming more from the dash and before the engine compartment. Thats where my ears are telling me its coming from.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't think its a turbo valve releasing air. Today, driving to work and coming home, the sound more closely resembled a popping sound. Its direction is coming more from the dash and before the engine compartment. Thats where my ears are telling me its coming from.
Noises are the WORST to diag. I've heard there's some pretty good techs in the Fairfax dealership, I'm sure they can figure it out as long as they can reproduce it. Have you driven it with a tech to duplicate?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have driven with a tech. A technician and service advisor has also driven the car without in it. The service advisor heard a sound that he said might be the rotars coming free. But I can't confirm whether it was the same sound.

To me, it sounds like a pop and it comes from within the dashboard and before the engine compartment.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a video that plays the sound somewhat. I am still working on recording the sound to get more feedback.
I'd be very interested in seeing the video. When the tech rode with you, did the vehicle make the sound? Or only when the advisor and tech drove together? Just wanna make sure everyone is hearing the same sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When the tech rode with me, the car made the sound but not loud enough for the tech to hear. When the service guy and tech rode together, the service guy thought he heard what I was hearing but thought it was the rotors coming free.

I am doing a test drive Friday with all of them. Hopefully, I will be able to reproduce the sound and have the recording as a backup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to update everyone, I wasn't able to go to the dealership last Friday. I am going this coming Friday instead.

The noise is still happening and is about the same in noise level.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Just a couple of quick ones, are you adjusting climate air flow i.e. floor to face or floor to defrost, is the car switching between recirculate & fresh air- the icons to the R of the LED panel will show and have you checked the filter? I know it's only ~3 months but it was fall when you purchased and it could be a leaf blown in....I know that happens- learned it from experience.

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It could be the ABS/Traction Control System self checking. I have read that this is done during the first few seconds of starting the vehicle and if it's put in drive and you drive off before the check is complete a slight banging and thumping will be heard from the engine area. This is normal (according the article I read). Most newer vehicles made with ABS/Traction Control Systems do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Has anyone ever heard the wesgate on a 2014 huynday Santa fe making a popping sound or something similar to throwing an empty water bottle at the back of the car? That's what the technician keeps telling me.

Also, am I allowed to have service done at another dealer ship? When filled out the papers for my car at Browns Hyundai of Manassas, they said I had to do all my service through them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts