Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yeah its not a Sonata or even a production version of a Velo, but i found the article interesting and the commitment to development by Hyundai ongoing even if this will never become a thing. The 2.0T gets some hate but it can put down some serious power. Cant wait to see what they put in the Sonata N

·
Registered
82 Posts

Yeah its not a Sonata or even a production version of a Velo, but i found the article interesting and the commitment to development by Hyundai ongoing even if this will never become a thing. The 2.0T gets some hate but it can put down some serious power. Cant wait to see what they put in the Sonata N
Supposedly it's the new 2.5l , turbo version will mayhaps north of 275+ hp, or so they hinted!!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hyundai may have the general reputation that it is a "value" brand. But they have and are making many changes since 2011 and especially now with bringing on Biermann formally from BMW M division to develop a new performance line.

The first products out are making a big change for Hyundai, the Veloster N is a fantastic value and a performer with excellent reviews placing it along side the Civic R , focus ST and the GTI at 1/3 less money. The Elantra N is also getting good reviews. Im looking forward to the Sonata N , I think it will be much more of a true "sport sedan" with greater than 275 hp maybe closer to 300hp and handling upgrades at a price point of less than 2/3 that of an Accura, Infiniti, Accord 2.0 Camary XSE or TRD (which is a good value at 31,000 but lacks tech).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hyundai may have the general reputation that it is a "value" brand. But they have and are making many changes since 2011 and especially now with bringing on Biermann formally from BMW M division to develop a new performance line.

The first products out are making a big change for Hyundai, the Veloster N is a fantastic value and a performer with excellent reviews placing it along side the Civic R , focus ST and the GTI at 1/3 less money. The Elantra N is also getting good reviews. Im looking forward to the Sonata N , I think it will be much more of a true "sport sedan" with greater than 275 hp maybe closer to 300hp and handling upgrades at a price point of less than 2/3 that of an Accura, Infiniti, Accord 2.0 Camary XSE or TRD (which is a good value at 31,000 but lacks tech).
New HP numbers from Hyundai is 290hp/310tq. No AWD as of yet, or a dedicated Ñ as the N is supposedly for racing! So they say. In the hands of the proper Tuners 290hp can be massaged to 350+hp. Oh **** yeah!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Supposedly it's the new 2.5l , turbo version will mayhaps north of 275+ hp, or so they hinted!!!
They are still keeping the specs real closed lip so far. Most ive really found is what it will apparently be called Smartstream G2.5 T-GDi and of course even that may ultimately end up being wrong.

They through out numbers for the 3.5 which is 380hp and the D3.0. But slid the 2.5 info in with the 8speed DCT. "The Smartstream Wet 8-speed DCT, along with two new engines, will be combined with the Smartstream G2.5 T-GDi engine and the Smartstream D2.2 engine to be applied to a wide range of vehicles, including high-performance cars . An optimized eight-stage layout, high-efficiency wet double clutch, electric oil pump and accumulator, DCT-specific control logic, and new technologies that maximize power transmission efficiency and responsiveness . "

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
They are still keeping the specs real closed lip so far. Most ive really found is what it will apparently be called Smartstream G2.5 T-GDi and of course even that may ultimately end up being wrong.

They through out numbers for the 3.5 which is 380hp and the D3.0. But slid the 2.5 info in with the 8speed DCT. "The Smartstream Wet 8-speed DCT, along with two new engines, will be combined with the Smartstream G2.5 T-GDi engine and the Smartstream D2.2 engine to be applied to a wide range of vehicles, including high-performance cars . An optimized eight-stage layout, high-efficiency wet double clutch, electric oil pump and accumulator, DCT-specific control logic, and new technologies that maximize power transmission efficiency and responsiveness . "
This link is over on the DN subforum.

They say only a N Line Sonata will be coming in the fall 2020, no full "N"

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm digging that camo wrap...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
290HP/310ft/lbs sounds good but they really need to at least throw an LSD in the front. Makes a huge difference on the short rips. One of the best mods I ever made to my spyder.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
290HP/310ft/lbs sounds good but they really need to at least throw an LSD in the front. Makes a huge difference on the short rips. One of the best mods I ever made to my spyder.
That seems to be the difference with the "N Line" vs an "N".
Same as with the Elantra Sport "N Line" only gets some of the mods, suspension, cosmetics etc but the "N" varients are a different car with more power, limited slip, electronic suspension etc

According to the article there is no intention of a full "N"

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That seems to be the difference with the "N Line" vs an "N".
Same as with the Elantra Sport "N Line" only gets some of the mods, suspension, cosmetics etc but the "N" varients are a different car with more power, limited slip, electronic suspension etc

According to the article there is no intention of a full "N"
Hmmm, i might can even understand not going all in on a family style sedan. But an LSD is cheap and will increase 0-60 immensely. Would put acceleration numbers right there with other sedans in class. It literally dropped my spyder which in convertible and is a heavy pig nearly .8 second in the 1/4. For $500....... I think i just decided on a Veloster N when the Spyder dies. Will just keep having fun with the wifes 2.0T Sonata.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts