Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am planning to travel in Jan or Feb for a month and leave my car behind, but I do not have heated or even a garage to store my car, so i have to park in my building's open parking lot.
Would it be a good idea to remove the battery and put it at home to save juice , will that loose any data in car memory?
i just want my get my car running and not let battery dead in this cold when i get back

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello bobsingh

It's better to unplug the battery cables if your leaving for 1 month, but there is no need to remove the battery just keep it in its place.

If you unplug your battery you will loose most of the settings you saved (will have to do it again), Trip data will be lost, (liter/100km or km/liter) will be lost.
If you have a navigation system, it will not be effected as the data is stored on the SD Card.
You may loose last position you stopped at in the playlist if you are using a USB.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,095 Posts
The cold won't drain the battery, but all the electronic crap in your modern car probably will. So personally, I'd just remove the negative battery terminal to save the juice. But what mjsmedo says about your settings & data still stands.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In most new cars there is a fuse or switch inside the fuse panel that turns off unnecessary current draw while the car sits long time in distribution or dealer lots. In some cases I "think" the fuse is called IOD. On my 2017 Sonata SE interior fuse panel, there is a switch called FUSE SWITCH in the lower left. This switch is only for infrequent use.

Frank 2017 Sonata SE with 10350 miles

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I grew up in these prairies ,if your worried about the cold.. get a battery blanket/warmer from canadian tire, plug in both the blanket/warmer and the block heater and have peace of mind on your trip

(they have different sizes so you need to measure the perimeter of the battery to get one long enough)

Reactions: bobsingh

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
If you just want to be able to come back and start your car then I would get a jump pack
And keep the jump pack at the apartment.
(It can come in handy for many things)
So, you can jump start your car (remember polarity)
If you live in a bad neighborhood and want to save your battery then take it home.

Personally, after hearing the horror stories some have about removing or replacing their batteries,
I would rather not have to take it out in the cold weather and put it back in the cold weather.
Try to start the car first.
If it doesn't start then just pop the hood, hook up the cables correctly and start the car.
Drive the car around for a while to charge up battery.

I am always looking for the easiest thing to do.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Yea these battery jumpers are small and pack a punch. I have one and it sits for months at a time and without charging and still starts a large diesel or V8. The published data for the battery life of these units battery says one of my sons will inherit a very healthy battery pack.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only problem with letting the battery go dead is that it can damage the battery. I've had it happen a couple of times. The battery can reverse polarity and can't be recharged. Harbor Freight has a battery tender for $5 on sale. That would keep you memory intact. It won't take much but I share your concern that just letting it sit may not be best.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
battery connected = working alarm

I wouldn't go thru the trouble of removing a battery for a simple single month trip.
If battery if more than 4 years old, you're going to need a new one soon anyway.

Get a solar battery tender. VW shipped their new cars with solar suction cup windshield mounted chargers. Plenty on ebay. They'll either plug into the cigarette lighter or obd2 port. I just cut off the cigarette lighter plug and wire it to the battery or fuse box. Ebay/Amazon have plenty of equivalent Chicom battery charger/tenders using <5w solar panels.

Or:
Solar Battery Chargers BatteryMinder
Solar BatteryTender
SP-200 - Schumacher Electric
SP-400 - Schumacher Electric

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A trust worthy neighbor that can start it for 15 min once a week or so ? ?

Does it not need to be running on road to charge the battery? Or just ignition running on stationary spot will be enough ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
1 month shouldn't cause a big problem with the battery and yes I fully agree with the solar chargers. I have 10 cars and most are fitted to solar chargers. Yes if a battery drops to around 11 volts and is left for some time it will sulphate and it's not reversible. Sealed Calcium batteries hold their charge longer.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If you can get someone to sit there, for 15 whole minutes, that will keep the battery charged. Your car does not have to move to charge the car. Car dealers do that all the time.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you can get someone to sit there, for 15 whole minutes, that will keep the battery charged. Your car does not have to move to charge the car. Car dealers do that all the time.

Well that’s easy then. I have command start which programmed for 15 minutes engine running.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Never a good idea to just start up a car and not drive it until fully warmed up. Condensation in the engine will form acids that damage bearings unless engine reaches operating temperature which I would suspect takes more than 15 minutes at idle in very cold weather. Best to put a solar battery charger on the dash wired to the battery directly.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I new a bloke that was starting his parents car up once a week while they were overseas. He was lazy and didn't open the garage door fell asleep and now I don't know him anymore.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s super cold these days in prairie -40 Celsius. I hope it won’t go this down at end of jan when I will be on holidays. But I found a buddy’s garage ( non heated) to park and he can start my car once in a week or so. I think I will be fine with that when I get back

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I have a command start so he can just start from home and it will shut off after 15 minutes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts