Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On which setting do you leave your lights?
I've always hated how most vehicle manufacturers handle DRL lighting. It often doesn't include the rear lights. This means when it's raining, snowing, or foggy I see dozens of idiots driving blissfully unaware they are effectively invisible from the rear (if conditions are bad enough).

I'm pretty sure that when set to Auto the DRLs come on of course, but the rear lights do not. This would be fine except that occasionally while driving to work, there is a lot of fog over the lake. It's a low fog so visibility is reduced even though it's still very bright. Since there's so much light, the lighting doesn't change and that means I don't have any rear lighting in the fog.

So, I just keep the marker lamps on all the time. This ensures that both front and rear are lit no matter the weather. I realize the DRL strips under the front lights are dimmer in this mode. I also turn on the normal headlights when driving at night.

What do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think it makes total sense that you "turn on the normal headlights when driving at night"! :)

Also makes sense to be running the marker lights in fog to minimize the chance of a rear end collision..I am always more worried about someone running into me than me running into them!

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited
63 Posts
I turn on normal headlights in any driving situation with reduced visibility. They are more visible than "marker" lights.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I turn on normal headlights in any driving situation with reduced visibility. They are more visible than "marker" lights.
This is true. And I usually do. I just wish the Auto function could recognize fog and adjust the headlights accordingly.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata SEL
58 Posts
You can leave the main lights in the ON position all the time. Once you switch the car off and lock it, it will switch the main lights off after a few seconds.
This is much better for you, if you dont want to run on AUTO with just the front DRLs on and the light sensor to switch the main lights ON/OFF.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata 1.6T Limited, Stormy Sea w/ tan interior.
160 Posts
You can leave the main lights in the ON position all the time. Once you switch the car off and lock it, it will switch the main lights off after a few seconds.
This is much better for you, if you dont want to run on AUTO with just the front DRLs on and the light sensor to switch the main lights ON/OFF.
Yep, and you can also leave the lights in the marker position as well which will ensure your rears are on, and they will still turn off when you have the car off and lock it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts