Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just wanted to get some feedback on some various sounds that are really pushing me to the edge, and if anyone knows what's causing it as well as the fix.
1) Every. Single. Door. Rattles. I can't stand it! Granted, I listen to my music really loud so I'm at fault for this, but can anyone recommend how to fix this? (Other than turning my volume down). So far the problem areas I've been able to locate are the various buttons and switches on the doors and the upper soft part of the door panels.
2) When the engine is on, there's is this almost ticking sound in the front drivers wheel well. Weird thing is it comes and goes. I assume it's not in the actual wheel well and is actually in the hood near the well. Does anyone know what it is and if it's supposed to make that ticking sound?
3) Ever since the wind deflector was replaced, my pano roof creaks. What did they do to cause that?

As for the door rattle issue, I am under warranty and Hyundai took a couple seconds to look at it and claims to not hear anything which I know was a straight lie because you can hear it when the volume is at 25. My partner was the one who went to go get it serviced. I really don't want to go back because their technician said it's probably the speaker, but you can clearly tell that it's coming from the window switch. I also updated them on the pano roof creaks and once again I was told that they couldn't hear it. I'm going to change dealership to another Hyundai cuz down here in Denver we have about six of them but I have a feeling this is going to be an uphill battle. Also, I work 6 days a week with my only day off being Sunday so it's very hard for me to get to the dealership. So I want to find ways to fix it myself and I would like to hear your thoughts on these issues. I really do love my Sonata, but compared to my GS 450h the quality control really makes me think that I should have just went for a newer Lexus. I never had any of these issues with my Prius before either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
1) never heard of this.
2) had a similar sound problem in a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant. In that case, it was stuck valve lifters. I have not read anything about the 2016 and newer HEV or PHEV Sonatas, though.
3) That problem was common at one point. Search the forum for solutions =)

Of course a Hyundai car is going to be less refined than a Lexus, but on my side, the 2016 PHEV Sonata doesn't have any abnormal sounds, other than the electric whine of the electric motor at low speeds and braking, and the occasional cell phone crackling if I sit with radio off in pure silence.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) never heard of this.
2) had a similar sound problem in a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant. In that case, it was stuck valve lifters. I have not read anything about the 2016 and newer HEV or PHEV Sonatas, though.
3) That problem was common at one point. Search the forum for solutions =)

Of course a Hyundai car is going to be less refined than a Lexus, but on my side, the 2016 PHEV Sonata doesn't have any abnormal sounds, other than the electric whine of the electric motor at low speeds and braking, and the occasional cell phone crackling if I sit with radio off in pure silence.
I'll have to look into that ticking sound some more then. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a Lexus because no Android auto... They're getting long in the tooth.

·
Registered
143 Posts
1. I don't listen to music very loud so it's not something I would experience. If a different dealer can't fix the issue, then I would go to a car audio shop and have them look at it.
2. I don't have any unusual noises in my PHEV. The driver's side has the motor, inverter and transmission in that general area. So it looks like a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. I don't listen to music very loud so it's not something I would experience. If a different dealer can't fix the issue, then I would go to a car audio shop and have them look at it.
2. I don't have any unusual noises in my PHEV. The driver's side has the motor, inverter and transmission in that general area. So it looks like a trip to the dealer.
I was worried that would be the case... Watch I'm gonna go down there and they won't be able to "recreate it"

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been more aware of a ticking or vibrating sound when the car is off. It happens when I open driver side door or when stepping on the brake. Looking under the hood, I could see the Hyundai Part 58620-4R001 Hydraulic Power Unit Assembly vibrating and that what was making the sound. Not sure if that's an indication of it failing. Reluctant to ask the dealer because it's a $1,200 part plus labor. Made a video of the noise at

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've been more aware of a ticking or vibrating sound when the car is off. It happens when I open driver side door or when stepping on the brake. Looking under the hood, I could see the Hyundai Part 58620-4R001 Hydraulic Power Unit Assembly vibrating and that what was making the sound. Not sure if that's an indication of it failing. Reluctant to ask the dealer because it's a $1,200 part plus labor. Made a video of the noise at
I believe this is the system that pumps up the brakes to work while in EV mode when you first turn the car on... I hear something like this too, but it is faint. This one here does sound quite noisy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's not that loud when sitting in the car. I put my phone as close to the part when I recorded the video. Car was off (not running or in EV mode). I think you're right about it pumping up the brakes. Found other posts stating that the ABS system is doing a self-check.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes, mine makes this noise just by opening the door and not pushing any start or accessory button. Just not noisy and barely noticeable...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.