Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cases of this oil that I got for 65c a quart on sale a year or two ago. I'm wondering if I should sell it and use full synthetic or synth blend instead.
This would be in my '14 Elantra SE 1.8L with 87k miles.

Can you shed any light on this and help me make up my mind?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use it if the bottles are still sealed.

There's no "use by" date correct?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm going to sell it and get some Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 syn blend for engines with > 75k miles. :) It's only $17 for a 5 qt jug at Walmart.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Use the Nextgen.... should be a good 3750 mile oil. No point in selling it.

Reactions: Joseph Rz

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use the Nextgen.... should be a good 3750 mile oil. No point in selling it.
I got it for 65c a quart and if I can sell it for $2 a qt I can make a few bucks and buy some new Valvoline syn blend.

Actually the dealership gave me a free oil & filter change coupon I have to use some time. I think they all use QS up there.
I don't know how much of a fan I am of QS. How about you people?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I guess you might as well. As they say "oil is oil".
Sort of. Some are more highly regarded. The Cheveron Supreme is highly regarded. But, my favorite is Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Plantinum. Quaker State has similar products since SOPUS (Shell Oil Company of US) is the parent company.

I unsuccessfully tried to sell the oil and even give it away. Now I will recycle it one OCI at time. :smile:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, we all have our opinions of which the best oil and filters are.
I used to be a member of BITOG. It was very interesting for a while but I got sick of it after a while. How many years does it take to teach you which the best oil is?

I do think "oil is oil" for all practical purposes. If you change your oil regularly, chances are your car engine will hold up well regardless of which oil you choose, whether it's Royal Purple for $10 a quart or Super Tech for $3 a qt.

I personally don't feel right about QS.
I tend to favor Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, and Castrol.
I'm probably going to run Valvoline, either the NextGen I have or Maxlife Synth blend 5w30.

Maybe when I get older I'll let the tire shop do my OCI with Castrol synth blend and Purolator filters for $37, but not yet.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have been a BITOG member for 13 years so I get the oil is oil comment. Not that I understand much about oil. I do understand feelings about certain things. I was going to just have dealership change my oil. They overfilled it, then I had some free Pennzoil Platinum available so I felt this oil was worth the effort to change the oil myself.

I have been told the Cheveron Supreme is fine and to use it but honestly I would just prefer to stick with the Pennzoil Platinum.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Anyone know anyone who has an engine failure that was deemed "oil related"? Probably not.

I've been using dead dinosaur oil in my Datsun 240Z since 1987, and it now has 278,000 miles on the original, unrebuilt engine. For the last 5 or 6 years I've used Walmart's SUPERTECH conventional oil in it.

No oil related issues ever.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know anyone who has an engine failure that was deemed "oil related"? Probably not.

I've been using dead dinosaur oil in my Datsun 240Z since 1987, and it now has 278,000 miles on the original, unrebuilt engine. For the last 5 or 6 years I've used Walmart's SUPERTECH conventional oil in it.

No oil related issues ever.
Good point.

What kind of oil do you run in your '14 Elantra SE?
That's the same car I've got.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why 5w30? The manual calls for 5w20 and I thought it was important to use the exact viscosity.
I sold my 2 cases of Valvoline 5w30 NextGen and I'm planning to use 5w20.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Our Hyundai dealer used 5W30 from the outset, and still does, so I stuck with that in our Elantra and Equus... and my Corvette uses that weight too (it does get full synthetic).

The owners manual shows it as an acceptable alternative (I believe).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts