Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to the autostore to look at ATF's to see if any fit my 2011 hyundai sonata. I found Valvoline Maxlife that said it is recommended for Hyundai SP-IV. Anyone ever use this in their YF hyundai? If so how does it work? Anyone ever have any issues or does it work well? Also, will I void my warranty if I use it?

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Most of the members here are using the Valvoline Import Full Synthetic ATF. It for sure meets the SP III and SP IV specified by Hyundai.

I would think that as long as whatever fluid chosen shows it is meets the SP III and SP IV spec, you should have no warranty issues. Keep your documentation though in case the fluid is ever called into question for a warranty service.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just used the Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle for a drain and fill a couple of weekends ago myself.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hyundai does own their own steel company; but so far not their own oil company.

Somebody has to make it to their engineering specs; I have used Castrol version for quite a few years without a problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Didn't Francij1 mention from another thread the following:

Hyundai in June this year released a new spec for ATF in our Sonatas SP4-M itis now a full synthetic oil and claims to be much improved providing alot of benefits, seems to me everybody would want to get rid of the old SPH-IV they came with now.

Would it be worth trying to locate this or is the Valvoline Import Full Synthetic ATF basically the same thing or good as?

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what I understand is that Huyndai puts a "tracer" formula in their branded ATF. So if there is any transmission warranty claim, they look for the tracer. If absent, they can deny work based on the fact the correct ATF was not used.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Lookup "Hyundai OilBank"

Ha haaaa. So I stand corrected, they do have an oil company, figures.

I guess the question is would they bother shipping quarts all the way from South Korea; and would it be profitable.

If they are local sourcing oil products then formulation data must be released. With the old technology Mitsu oil specs I don't hesitate to use aftermarket. If I had a new Genesis in warranty I would bend over and buy the special oil regardless.

·
Registered
884 Posts
From what I understand is that Huyndai puts a "tracer" formula in their branded ATF. So if there is any transmission warranty claim, they look for the tracer. If absent, they can deny work based on the fact the correct ATF was not used.
It is illegal for them to deny a warranty claim based on not using their brand. And anyway, in the Owner's manual it states: "HYUNDAI genuine ATF SP-IV or other brands meeting the above specification approved by Hyundai Motor Co."

To the OP, you can use either the blue container for imports, or the red Dex/Merc MaxLife. There's another thread on here ATF Drain and Fill with pics for those interested which has a discussion of these fluids.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just did my transmission fluid this past weekend and I used the Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF. Seems to be working pretty good it runs smoother I feel like. Anyone know how long it would take for me to realize the fluid is not good for the car? Would it be immediately or would it take awhile to figure it out? Basically I just want to know how many miles do I need to drive to realize that the fluid works well with the car? Thank you

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just did my transmission fluid this past weekend and I used the Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF. Seems to be working pretty good it runs smoother I feel like. Anyone know how long it would take for me to realize the fluid is not good for the car? Would it be immediately or would it take awhile to figure it out? Basically I just want to know how many miles do I need to drive to realize that the fluid works well with the car? Thank you
When your transmission drops out into the street...you know it's not good. :p

Just messing man! You did good, that fluid is up to spec, no problem. Did you use the red or blue container? Both are to spec. I used the red.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the red one too and I can actually tell a difference while driving it is pretty crazy. I have never worked on cars before so I was kinda worried about everything but thanks to everyone on here it was pretty easy. I was most worried about the fluid being wrong even though it said that it is compatible with the car I am naturally a paranoid dude. Seems good so far though, I am hoping this helps my car last longer and thanks man for all your help and thanks to everyone else I will be on here asking other random things as I get more mileage and need more tuneups haha

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I also use the red Max Life and have used it for about 60,000 miles. It definately made the transmission downshift smoother. I could tell immediately. Tranny was always bumpy dropping down into 3rd. The fluid helped with that.
Maybe Hyundai should have used that formulation in their 07 Santa Fe transmission :D
Oh and also used it in my daughters Kia for a couple years and that tranny calls for the same spec as Hyundai.

I think it is a great formulation based on my experience with it.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Has anyone used this, Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid?
I have and its very good fluid. Shifts will be smoother than you are experiencing with the factory stuff.

Had my tranny replaced a while ago due to some weird computer failure and it has the Hyundai factory fluid in it. Shifts and stutters like the original one did. I am hoping to let it wear in over the next 20K and then change the fluid out.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Has anyone used this, Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid?
I take it you didn't actually read the entire thread. Third post down I mentioned I have used it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
`I recently purchased the Hyundai SP4-M fluid at a KIA dealership. The bottle had a Hyundai logo on it. It was $15.65/quart and did a complete flush on my 2013 Elantra using 8 quarts....do the math. $160 with tax.
The car was still in warranty and I was tempted to use the Vavoline Max Life but was hesitant because it is not SP4-M. I know Max Life is SP4-M compatible but it is not Hyundai SP4-M
While in the US there is the Mangnuson act etc etc etc.....and I know Valvoline stands behind their products, if something does go wrong, Hyundai will blame Valvoline and Valvoline will blame Hyundai and you're stuck in the middle fighting 2 huge conglomerates.

I live in Canada and there was an incident where someone owned a KIA Soul had their engine seize before the warranty expired. Kia refused to warranty it because the owner had the oil changed at a quick lube place saying they used the wrong oil filter. The owner proved the correct oil filter was used. After sending an oil sample and oil filter to the lab the Quick Lube place was able to prove it did not cause the engine seizing. KIA still refused to warranty the engine because it was not dealer serviced. Cost of engine replacement was $8500.00. The owner could take Kia to small claims court but what a PITA that is......

I've read many threads where the product manufacture claims they warranty their product but when you're stuck in the middle there is not only the cost of fighting it but there is a huge inconvenience. If the Kia owner had his car serviced at Kia I don't think he would have any problem getting the engine replaced. I don't know what he saved at going to the quick lube place but clearly it wasn't worth it.

I look at it this way.....why risk using a compatible fluid to save even $100 when a transmission rebuild here in Canada is north of $4000. Plus we pay 13% sales tax.

I've read many threads where Vavoline MaxLife ATF works fine for Hyundai cars many which need sp-III or SP-IV which is now replaced with SP4-M but I wonder how MaxLife works on late model Hyundais where the transmission change in 2012. For now I will used Hyundai ATF in my 2013 Elantra.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
`I recently purchased the Hyundai SP4-M fluid at a KIA dealership. The bottle had a Hyundai logo on it. It was $15.65/quart and did a complete flush on my 2013 Elantra using 8 quarts....do the math. $160 with tax.
The car was still in warranty and I was tempted to use the Vavoline Max Life but was hesitant because it is not SP4-M. I know Max Life is SP4-M compatible but it is not Hyundai SP4-M
While in the US there is the Mangnuson act etc etc etc.....and I know Valvoline stands behind their products, if something does go wrong, Hyundai will blame Valvoline and Valvoline will blame Hyundai and you're stuck in the middle fighting 2 huge conglomerates.

I live in Canada and there was an incident where someone owned a KIA Soul had their engine seize before the warranty expired. Kia refused to warranty it because the owner had the oil changed at a quick lube place saying they used the wrong oil filter. The owner proved the correct oil filter was used. After sending an oil sample and oil filter to the lab the Quick Lube place was able to prove it did not cause the engine seizing. KIA still refused to warranty the engine because it was not dealer serviced. Cost of engine replacement was $8500.00. The owner could take Kia to small claims court but what a PITA that is......

I've read many threads where the product manufacture claims they warranty their product but when you're stuck in the middle there is not only the cost of fighting it but there is a huge inconvenience. If the Kia owner had his car serviced at Kia I don't think he would have any problem getting the engine replaced. I don't know what he saved at going to the quick lube place but clearly it wasn't worth it.

I look at it this way.....why risk using a compatible fluid to save even $100 when a transmission rebuild here in Canada is north of $4000. Plus we pay 13% sales tax.

I've read many threads where Vavoline MaxLife ATF works fine for Hyundai cars many which need sp-III or SP-IV which is now replaced with SP4-M but I wonder how MaxLife works on late model Hyundais where the transmission change in 2012. For now I will used Hyundai ATF in my 2013 Elantra.
Just don't believe your story of Hyundai refusing to warranty an engine because it wasn't serviced at the dealership. Sounds like all the internet myths you see all the time. Now, if you can provide a link to said story......

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Just don't believe your story of Hyundai refusing to warranty an engine because it wasn't serviced at the dealership. Sounds like all the internet myths you see all the time. Now, if you can provide a link to said story......

He's in Canada. They don't have the same laws we do.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts