Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Accent 1.6 GDI owners manual says to inspect valve clearances at 60 K miles. Anyone with that mileage done it, were the valves still in spec? Reason I ask is, because (according to the service manual) the camshafts have to come out in order to adjust the value if needed. I've had to do this before on motorcycle engines, a bit of a PIA. Hopefully the valves don't change enough to require adjustment. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's to hoping the clearance will stay in spec, as you said the cams need to come out to adjust and that's either alot of money to have done at a shop or a big job to do yourself.

From what I've heard, usually no adjustment is required for a long time with these MLA setups, but considering the extra work needed if/when it does I'd prefer screw and lock-nut adjusters.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's to hoping the clearance will stay in spec, as you said the cams need to come out to adjust and that's either alot of money to have done at a shop or a big job to do yourself.

From what I've heard, usually no adjustment is required for a long time with these MLA setups, but considering the extra work needed if/when it does I'd prefer screw and lock-nut adjusters.
Yep, they may still be in spec at 60K miles, I've seen plenty of Japanese motorcycle engines that haven't changed much at valve check time. I would like to hear from those who have at least 60K miles who have checked, and what their findings were. I still have only 13K miles on mine.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
MLA should almost last lifetime, provided you keep oil change, and valves/seats dont get out of whack.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Clearance Inspection does not necessarily equal Clearance Adjustment. IIRC, this check can be done in probably a few hours (by an experienced Tech), at the cost of a few gaskets. It will probably be time to renew the cam-cover gasket by that time anyway (if it even HAS a gasket, that is - I really have not checked: it might be lapped surfaces that are Hylomar-sealed).

It is the valveseat-regression (particularly exhaust valves) that is the "enemy" here - internal clearances getting tighter because the valve seat has eroded a bit. Looser is Better, but these valve components are so hard and wear-resistant nowadays; if you have enough internal wear that the clearances are egregiously wider than spec - you have a SERIOUS wear issue throughout the entire engine.

This is an example of motorcycle technology come to the automobile - similar design, materials, and service intervals have been the norm now with high-performace sportbikes for over a decade, with a really good track record. Unlike many, earlier shim-under-bucket designs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts