Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing a headlight bulb on a family member's 2007 Sonata 3.3L V6 with 60k, I noticed an oil leak just above the alternator. It wasn't doing this a few months ago when I replaced the TPS and before I condemned them too much for lack of responsible maintenance (ie, lack of oil/filter changes, etc) I wanted to further research... :D

Searching the forum, it does look like valve cover gasket leaks are a fairly common problem so planning on replacing for them before the leak gets worse and causes other problems - alternator, etc.

I understand there is an updated factory Hyundai part for gaskets but couldn't confirm the part number. What is the correct number and is this the best valve cover gasket to use, or is there a recommended aftermarket alternative?

I've watched a few videos on the valve cover gasket replacement and it looks straightforward enough. Is it recommended to use any sealant on reassembly? At 60k, anything else recommended to replace at the same time?

How about special tools required for job? I'm just trying to gather info at this stage before I dive in, so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Its covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. Had mine done at dealer no charge.
Only to original owner... 5yr/60,000 for second and later owners is expired..

Hyundai part over dealer counter will be latest part, been for a number of yr now. Same part at KIA if they closer.

RTV across joint of front cover to cylinder head, same as placed by Hyundai when engine built (see remnants when cover removed (there is also a TSB for cover gasket replacement)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ Exactly, purchased last year from a relative so no warranty remaining which is pretty lame.

Thanks for the info, I'll check the TSB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I found a factory service manual to d'l and all the TSB's so good to go there.

Going to check with dealer on gaskets and the gray RTV this week sometime.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have 135k and just had to do this. Back one is no fun, Dont forget the RTV (and let it dry) and look up the order the bolts get put back into place on the cover their are 16 of them WTH! Have fun!
What did you have to take out to reach the back one? I am sure i won't ever touch the back one, but just wondering.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Luckily, I had this problem before my extended warranty ended, so I had my dealership fix the issue without any costs

You may want to check on your timing cover gasket as well. since you are going to open up the entire engine, might as well hit the timing cover gasket and all other gaskets all at the same time (Hyundai sells a gasket kit in addition to just the valve cover gasket - I think they call it 'Engine Overhaul gasket kits'). That's at least what my dealership did for me when I took the car in for warranty services

Also, depending on your relationship with the dealership and their reputation, bring the car in and see if they will do the job at a reduced cost for you, since this is a known problem to Hyundai. I read someone where they are able to strike a deal with the dealership and get the problem fixed at a reduced cost

·
Registered
81 Posts
In regards to the part numbers, here's what my dealership listed on my warranty quote. I am based in Canada so some part number may be specific to this region only

QTY FP-NUMBER DESCRIPTION
3 29215-3C100 Gasket-Surge Tank
1 21355-3C520 Gasket-Water Pump Right
1 21355-3C510 Gasket-Water Pump Left
1 21352-3C600 Seal-Oil Pan
1 21354-3C510 Gasket-Outlet, Left
1 21353-3C500 O-Ring
1 21354-3C520 Gasket-Outlet, Right
1 22453-3C110 Gasket-Rocker Cover Left
1 22441-3C110 Gasket-Rocker Cover Right
2 084NA-10000 Permatex #599 Silicon Gasket
2 084NA-26006 Hyundai Brake Cleaner

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily, I had this problem before my extended warranty ended, so I had my dealership fix the issue without any costs

You may want to check on your timing cover gasket as well. since you are going to open up the entire engine, might as well hit the timing cover gasket and all other gaskets all at the same time (Hyundai sells a gasket kit in addition to just the valve cover gasket - I think they call it 'Engine Overhaul gasket kits'). That's at least what my dealership did for me when I took the car in for warranty services

Also, depending on your relationship with the dealership and their reputation, bring the car in and see if they will do the job at a reduced cost for you, since this is a known problem to Hyundai. I read someone where they are able to strike a deal with the dealership and get the problem fixed at a reduced cost
My plan is to only replace valve cover gasket(s) right now as that is what appears to be leaking and appears to be a straightforward job.

Not going to dealer for service, negotiated reduced price or otherwise as the owner is not going to pay for repairs at dealer.

Is that a recall or tsb? If it is a recall, mileage shouldn't matter.
It's a TSB
Of course it is, Hyundai wouldn't want to be stuck footing the bill for this. Did I mention the significantly reduced Hyundai warranty for non-original owner is pretty ridiculous? :rolleyes: It's too bad because the family member they bought the Sonata from are long-time/multiple Hyundai-Kia owners (replaced Sonata with a Soul). After hearing of all the problems (TPS failure/re-flash, now gasket failure, etc) so soon after the sale, they are more than a little upset and pretty much done with the brand after this. So perhaps Hyundai should take note of the knock-on effect of not really owning these problems.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Recalls are for safety issues.

TSBs are for any other known/common issue with the car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is one of those built-in secret features of Sonata that was not advertised in the window sticker or mentioned in the owner's manual...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, after only 50k, I will puke oil from every conceivable orifice and gasket possible providing the best possible external lubrication. Yours truly, Hyundai Sonata.:wub:

·
Registered
1 Posts
sonata v6 valve cover oil leaks

I just wanted to post my experience with an 2006 sonata v6 3.3 valve cover leak. I replaced the valve cover gasket for a friend but the front still leaked after.

I found that this was a recurring problem with these 3.3l v6's. I think its a design flaw because the timing chain flings oil against the RTV til it disintegrates.

anyway, the second time I closely followed the TSB. thoroughly clean all surfaces, using hyundai grey RTV, they call for a 2.5mm bead where the timing cover meets the cyl head, install the valve cover within 5 minutes and I torqued all the valve cover bolts to spec in order ( I found the sequence on the autozone website)

I followed the spec on the autozone site which was 87 inch/lbs to ?100 inch/lbs ( I forget, but my final pass was at 95 inch/lbs)

I put a little extra rtv on, and I put some on the front side where the timing cover meets the head as well, because I'm guessing the timing cover eventually will leak from there as well.

The tsb says to wait 30 min before starting, but I waited 8 hours. If I had to do it over again, I would wait 24 hours to make sure the RTV in good and dry and strong. (strong and thick enough so the oil doesnt wash it off for a long time)

I'm going to try to attach the TSB 12-em-004

look up the specs at the autozone site (the sequence starts in the inside, middle then goes outward)

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
There was a letter that hyundai sent out due to alternator failures caused by the leaking valve cover gasket. They replaced my alternator and valve cover on my 07 sante fe 3.3.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Any idea what the labor time is to replace the Valve Cover Gaskets? I noticed mine looks like it is starting to leak above the alternator, I have 160,000 miles. The back seems fine. I had my tensioners replaced once by the dealer and then they replaced the timing cover gasket a month later. Supposedly it was not installed correctly and they tried to charge me for the second job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts