Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all -

New to the forum and Hyundai. This is my girlfriend's car....

V6 2004 with about 130K on it. Not sure if it's the 3.5 or 2.7. How can I tell?

Anyway, the issue is after putting gas in the vehicle (doesn't matter if we fill it up or not) it will not stay at idle. It will start after several cranks, however, we have to hold the gas and put it in drive. After putting it in drive, it will be just fine.

Has anyone encountered this?? I just worked on the plugs (never changed) and replaced the front 3. I will replace the rear 3 this weekend hopefully. The three I replaced were way out of gap as you might imagine.

That did not seem to have any affect on the starting/idling issue. I'm just looking for a little direction here.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most likely your evap canister is bad from trying to "top off" the tank when during refueling. The fuel in the neck of the gas tank enters the evap canister and breaks down the charcoal in there. Do a search in this forum for "evap canister" and you will find lots of info. It's a commonly asked question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you! I will do that. If this helps, it also does it when not topping off....
but I will check that out!

And BTW, it is not throwing any codes....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you! I will do that. If this helps, it also does it when not topping off....
but I will check that out!

And BTW, it is not throwing any codes....
The problem is from past top offs. The charcoal in the canister gets into the vent tubes and prevents your gas tank from venting properly causing the back pressure to shut off the fuel pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree the canister could be the problem. There is another possibility which was recommended on this forum. I had the exact same problem as you and someone recommended the Purge control valve or purge valve. It costs about 30 bucks is easy to change on the top and rear of the engine. It should be closed with no power applied and electrically energized open to where you can blow air through it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Good day all -

New to the forum and Hyundai. This is my girlfriend's car....
Ok...

V6 2004 with about 130K on it. Not sure if it's the 3.5 or 2.7. How can I tell?
2.7L,,, Sonata never came with 3.5L

Anyway, the issue is after putting gas in the vehicle (doesn't matter if we fill it up or not) it will not stay at idle. It will start after several cranks, however, we have to hold the gas and put it in drive. After putting it in drive, it will be just fine.

Has anyone encountered this??
Yes, multiple "I fill my car with gas and it hard to start/runs rough/stalls until driven for bit" topics in the Sonata & Santa Fe forum..

That did not seem to have any affect on the starting/idling issue. I'm just looking for a little direction here.
That's easy..

Thanks for your time.
Replace the purge control valve... leaks and draw fuel vapors off the canister' charchol bed in uncontrooled fashion, hence the run rough idle, hard start/stall until driven a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I never stated, but it is a 2004 Santa Fe! So looking now, I posted in the wrong section of the forum!

Thank you for your feedback...

The girlfriend comment was in regards to the fact that I don't really know the maintenance history... and basically there was NONE, with the exception of oil changes....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts