Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I'm unemployed and I'm thinking about working doing pizza delivery. The pay isn't great but I've done it before and enjoyed it.

Unfortunately not many pizza places here provide vehicles. As such, I would likely have to use my own car. Is the stopping/starting of the engine and relatively short trips likely to cause any problems?

The only problem I encountered previously was that the fabric would absord the smell of the pizza and after 1 1/2 years my car smelled like pizza. A fellow worker solved this problem by putting them in his boot, but my car was an SUV and didn't have a boot. So, problem solved! However, this new Sonata is also a tad more technologically advanced than my old SUV was 10 years ago!

The other issue is wear and tear, and the mileage. The latter isn't an issue for the warranty as it's for unlimited miles, but it may hurt the resale.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (sonicice @ Sep 7 2010, 02:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354776
I wouldn't recommend it. Just doesn't seem worth it to do it to a car that new.
I wouldn't even do that to my 145,000 mile Santa Fe. All the cars parked outside our local pizza joint are beat to pieces...even a relatively new Honda Fit looks like it's 15 years old. Would I guess picking up a real beater is out of the question? Maybe something you could spend just a couple hundred on and just have liability insurance?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Go for it. Getting a job based on what you drive is retarded. There is a kid who delivers for pizza hut and he drives a older IS250. A job makes you money and to say you can't because the car is to new or to nice as dumb. Oh but you could not get a job and take unemployment and once thats runs out and they come and Rep your car then what?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can definitely have fun delivering pizza in the sonata :) but.....
if you happen to get the fabric seats, then you will have the same trouble as before. Since you mentioned you are going to carry the boxes in your trunk, you should be fine. I hope the pizza's are not tossed around in the trunk and then end up with cheese sticking to the pizza box :).. NO TIP .... GRRRR....

·
Registered
854 Posts
You will have more wear and tear for the all the short city driving as opposed to highway driving but if you just city drive now anyway it wont' matter. Honestly it's your car and you should be able to do whatever you want with it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car has leather but the carpet will absord some, surely. It also gets into the air ventilation system.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dave:
You do what you have to do to earn a living. If I had to haul manure in my Sonata to make a living, I would do it with no hesitation. This is only a car, to keep it in pristine condition for the Repo man would be stupid. Have fun delivering pizzas, make some cash, and don't worry about the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think your car will get better gas mileage than the beaters too - which could help

but as the others say - you work when you need to work - period. i might put some sort of cover over the seat just to be safe but i say go for it

·
Registered
541 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Sep 7 2010, 06:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354807
Go for it. Getting a job based on what you drive is retarded. There is a kid who delivers for pizza hut and he drives a older IS250. A job makes you money and to say you can't because the car is to new or to nice as dumb. Oh but you could not get a job and take unemployment and once thats runs out and they come and Rep your car then what?
Rightly said.
A job can bring you more cars but car would not bring you more cars. I think as long as you are the one driving and enjoying your machine, thats all that matters. It does not matter what are you drivig it for, rather that you drove a machine what it was intended for.

Now as someone said, you could buy a beater. But then, you have earned yourself a 2011 Sonata so why go back to the beater? Enjoy your car, its new for now and slowly it is going to be old. Not to mention the extra costs involved in buying a beater and being responsible for an extra car along with the insurance and registration and not to forget emissions?

Sonata is not the car which should be made into garage queen. I do not see it as that class of a car.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Please by all means necessary DO NOT deliver pizza in your brand new i45. Only deliver chinese food or some sort of deli product. Thank you.

EDIT: Sorry, pizza is now OK to deliver.
RE-EDIT: Mike (below) would like some mexican food so thats OK too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (glenn716 @ Sep 8 2010, 02:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355080
Please by all means necessary DO NOT deliver pizza in your brand new i45. Only deliver chinese food or some sort of deli product. Thank you.

EDIT: Sorry, pizza is now OK to deliver.
What about Meixcan food?

There is a place by me called "Burrito Station" that delivers and I wonder if any of them have new Sonatas! :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts