Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an idea to use the little position lamps in the headlights as DRLs instead of the low beams. I would put brighter bulbs in there of course. But there are several issues in the way and I was just wondering if anyone has tried this.

First you would somehow disable the DRL from the low beam and make sure that it still works without the DRL attached (ie. independently). Next you would need to figure out how to hook the DRL up to the position lights and then determine if they would work under the lower voltage.

Basically the end result would be:

- turn on the vehicle and the position lights light up as DRLs
- turn the switch on to parking lights and the position lights remain on (I actually think the current DRLs stay on when the parking lights are turned on as well)
- turn on the low beams but still have the position lights on (currently when you turn on the lowbeams the position lights stay on but the DRLs are given full power to power the low beams)

I think this might be some work to get this done but I thought I'd check to see if anybody has tried or has the same idea.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was just reading my post again and it could be confusing. Basically what I want is to have my DRL switched from my low beams to my position lights (the little bulbs under the headlight) and have everything work they way it is working now. Except I want these little lights to stay on all the time, no matter what is selected.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Personally, I think you are just opening up a can of worms. I can imagine what your dealer is going to say the very first problem you have that's even remotely related to the electrical system. Not to mention what your government regs are. I know drl's are mandatory in Canada; I imagine there is a minimum size and brightness requirement.

Either way, good luck to you. If you can make it work, I am sure it would look better than just having the low-beams on!

tim B)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts