Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2012 Hyundai Tucson. I am happily using an iPod classic 160 GB drive with the current car stereo. It works great. My wife has a 2014 Hyundai Accent. She is using a 64GB Kingston USB stick that works splendidly.

I am looking at trading in my current Tucson (180km+) in the next year and buying a 2020 / 2021 Tucson. My question relates to the newer Hyundai car stereos. Will I still be able to connect my iPod classic to the newer car stereo? I am currently using this kind of connection:

iTunes doesn't support the iPod classic. I have to use a program called Media Monkey to store the content on the drive. Assuming the iPod classi is not compatible, does anyone happen to know the maximum capacity USB stick that the newer Hyundai car stereos will support? I have several 128 GB USB sticks that I am hoping to use if the iPod classic doesn't work. In terms of reading through the file folder structure, how many levels of sub-folders is the car stereo capable of rendering through. My music is currently stored Artist\Album\Song

I have searched through the forums, but couldn't find a definitive answer to these question. So apologies if these questions have been posted before. Thank you in advance for any possible suggestions

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know anything about iPods, but my 2020 Venue has a USB port that I use for music.

I have a 32GB USB drive that I loaded up with music in the same artist/album/song folder structure that you mention. When I plug the stick into the port and hit the "Media" button on the stereo, it starts playing the first song in the first subfolder. But if I hit the "list" button on the touch screen, it shows me all the songs in that folder. Then, if I hit the button to go up the tree structure (looks like a bent arrow pointing to the left), it takes me to the directory containing all the albums by that artist. Hit the button once more, and it takes me to the top level directory, listing all the artists. I can tap the artist I want, then the album that I want, then the first song on the album, and it will start playing that album.

There is a "repeat" toggle that lets you repeat a song over and over, or all songs in a directory over and over, or all songs on the drive over and over.

There is also a shuffle option, which will let you shuffle all songs in a directory, but I've found that it isn't very good. It tends to play the same four or five songs over and over! So I don't use it much.

I have some much more sophisticated music players on my Android phone, so for long trips, I will plug in the phone and use Android Auto to access those players. But for short trips around town, I don't bother. I just use the USB stick. I leave it stuck in the dash all the time.

I can't vouch for the Tucson stereo performing the same way my Venue stereo does, but hopefully this will get you started. And you can always walk into a Hyundai dealership with your USB stick and take the stereo for a test listen!

(PS - I've noticed that only old geezers like me still call them "stereos" these days!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts