Hyundai Forums banner

User Profile Memory Issues

6K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  ExHondaLuvR 
#1 ·
2020 Sonata Limited.
My car frequently screws up the user settings between my wife's and my profiles. It works perfectly as it should about half the time. It is not always the same settings, but for instance, here is a typical scenario:

I will use the car after my wife. Her profile moves the seat back automatically when she gets out. I get in, start the car, and select my profile. The seat then shoves me forward to her position and switches the XM to her last station that I never listen to. I have to use the memory button on the door to get it to move to my position.

The scenario above is the most common, but there are many variations. Sometimes it switches the XM to station 0, which is just the radio ID. Sometimes everything is right except the mirrors are in her position. Sometimes for my wife it moves the seat to a very far back position that is not mine or it positions the seat-back way leaned back even with the seat otherwise correct.

Some other quirks that may be related:
Settings like ambient light color, heads up display position, etc. change on their own.
The seat-back position switch will not move the seat-back forward unless you first go back or hold it for several seconds. This happens about half the time.
The front collision warning sensors trip at traffic lights. It happens most frequently behind trucks, but has happened behind a Tesla and even no car at all. It is never because I am actually close enough to trip the sensor.

The local dealer that I bought it from new has now had it twice. The first time they updated software and the second time they did some factory resets. They are not being very helpful.

They will have one more chance before I have to send a letter to Hyundai to get their last attempt (per FL lemon law).

Do any of these problems sound familiar? Is there a fix I can point them to because they told me they are out of ideas. Otherwise I like the car, but this is turning me off quickly.

See less See more
#4 ·
Just thinking out loud here. Are you trying interrupting the sequence at all? Do you get in and press the user profile and then immediately press D or R to get going? Just wondering if you have to wait for all things to change before setting off for them to take effect or if by moving the car cancels the request.

#5 ·
I understand what you're saying. No, that is not what is happening. I have done that a couple times before, but this is unrelated to that. Last night when I tested it while making a video for the dealer, the car never left the garage and was never shifted into drive or otherwise interrupted.

#6 ·
Lemon laws vary greatly by state. Here in Illinois the lemon law only applies when an issue substantially impairs the use, market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer. Although you may feel that this is a substantial issue, I believe you would have a hard time getting others to back that opinion. It seems like more of an inconvenience based on your description as all of those settings can still be adjusted by you and the car can be driven safely.

#7 · (Edited)
That's basically the same language as in FL. I'd have to disclose the defect(s) to a potential buyer and it would 100% affect the value of the car. I agree that it would be gray area. I'd rather just get it fixed and move on. I'm guessing it is going to take the replacement of whatever computer(s) control those functions since software updates and factory resets didn't work. It seems to be a memory hardware issue.

From the case law examples of arbitration cases in FL for lemon cars that I have read, I feel like I'd have pretty good odds if it comes to that.

I played around more with the car this morning. I took video of a few of the issues/symptoms. These are minor things, but they illustrate part of the larger problem. It will not remember the ambient light color between two users. Whichever color either user set their ambient color setting to last is the one that both profiles use. Also, no matter how many times I set my seat-back position and save the setting via the door buttons, it always reverts to a position where the seat-back is substantially further back than I set it.

#28 · (Edited)
Our 2020 Sonata is also doing the same after the update. Previously it would adjust the seat and mirror as soon the other profile was selected. Now it's hit or miss whether it does it or not, sometimes there's a delay in it happening. Since I very rarely drive the Sonata (it's my wife's), I don't care, just as long as her settings remain.

PS: I didn't do any of the interim updates because of the nixie tube display. So it probably would have been happening before had I done them.

#9 ·
I resolved it by selling the car back to the dealer. I will never buy another Hyundai product. The 4th (or maybe 5th) attempt to fix it was supervised by Hyundai engineers and included replacing the main computer. It didn't fix a single issue. The dealer said there is nothing else for them to do and I should open a case with Hyundai who will buy it back. Hyundai refused to buy it back and we went to arbitration via BBB's arbitration for auto manufacturers that Hyundai is part of. I do not recommend doing that ever. Hyundai's position in arbitration was that I simply needed to bring it back in and the dealer would fix it. The arbitor ruled that I had to bring it back yet again for them to attempt to fix it even though they said there is nothing more they can do to fix it. I could not be more disappointed in Hyundai and how they handled things.
I went back to the dealer and told them how arbitration went and the dealer took pity on me and bought the car back for a tolerable amount of money to be sold at auction as-is.

Good luck getting yours fixed. Hyundai is dead to me.

#10 ·
Wow!
Thanks for replying. Couple more questions if you have the time. Did it ever work correctly every time? What was your dealer - sounds like ai should avoid them.
A bit more background. Mine (Santa Fe) worked correctly from new (2/2021) until the first software upgrade (~11/2021) after which, when changing profiles, the seat would take up to 60s to move to the correct position and would move even while driving if one set off with the seat in the other profile's position. After the latest upgrade (4/22) the seat many never move to the correct position but if one changes back to the old profile (seat doesn't move as its in the correct position) then back to the new profile the seat will move instantly. And sometimes after driving the car, locking, unlocking and powering up the other profile is active. Otherwise, we haven't see any of your other defects.

#14 ·
It worked fine when we first bought it. The first thing I noticed was the ambient light settings not saving, then progressively things got worse. It went from very occasional to very frequent that it would mix the settings. It progressed to where it would auto-stop in reverse when nothing was there and other exciting and unpredictable flaws.

I'd rather not say what dealer. In the end they helped me out by buying it back on their own when they didn't have to.

#11 ·
2020 Sonata Limited.
My car frequently screws up the user settings between my wife's and my profiles. It works perfectly as it should about half the time. It is not always the same settings, but for instance, here is a typical scenario:

I will use the car after my wife. Her profile moves the seat back automatically when she gets out. I get in, start the car, and select my profile. The seat then shoves me forward to her position and switches the XM to her last station that I never listen to. I have to use the memory button on the door to get it to move to my position.

The scenario above is the most common, but there are many variations. Sometimes it switches the XM to station 0, which is just the radio ID. Sometimes everything is right except the mirrors are in her position. Sometimes for my wife it moves the seat to a very far back position that is not mine or it positions the seat-back way leaned back even with the seat otherwise correct.

Some other quirks that may be related:
Settings like ambient light color, heads up display position, etc. change on their own.
The seat-back position switch will not move the seat-back forward unless you first go back or hold it for several seconds. This happens about half the time.
The front collision warning sensors trip at traffic lights. It happens most frequently behind trucks, but has happened behind a Tesla and even no car at all. It is never because I am actually close enough to trip the sensor.

The local dealer that I bought it from new has now had it twice. The first time they updated software and the second time they did some factory resets. They are not being very helpful.

They will have one more chance before I have to send a letter to Hyundai to get their last attempt (per FL lemon law).

Do any of these problems sound familiar? Is there a fix I can point them to because they told me they are out of ideas. Otherwise I like the car, but this is turning me off quickly.
I have a question related to this topic why are the seats different in user profile than for the memory seats. In other words I get in my car after my wife hit memory number 1 which is mine, but then hit my profile and the seats change?????

#13 ·
Each profile has two seat settings which are set on the drivers door. I have my car setup such that seat position #1 (wife) is the same position for both profiles and #2 (me) is the same on both. When you switch profiles the seat will move to the last memory position that that profile used. So, for my profile I last used #2 and for her profile she used #1. If I was the last to use the car when she turns it on it will move the seat to #2 (we use the move the seat all the way back when car is turned off feature) and the Nav screen will offer to switch profiles, she does and the seat moves to position #1.

#20 ·
OP here. My seat moved, but it was always within the distance of backing out of my driveway. The frustrating thing is that no one involved, dealer or Hyundai, thought much of it and told me to keep driving the car even after I explained that it took my wife's feet off the pedals while in reverse with the real possibility of hitting a car or pedestrian. I know it has auto braking in reverse, but the fact that auto braking was also acting up didn't give me any reassurance.

M3xD: keep good records of the dealer being notified and of working on it. I got screwed because the 4th time it was at the dealer, the repair was done under Hyundai's supervision and the dealer said that was the absolute last thing that they or Hyundai had to try. The dealer then told me to initiate a case with Hyundai and they would buy it back. In arbitration, Hyundai's position was that I wasn't supposed to be there because I did not give Hyundai the official notice via certified mail that it was their last attempt per the BBB arbitration rules, which follow most lemon laws.

The third attempt to fix it involved wiping the computer and putting in new software, which didn't do anything to fix it. The fourth attempt involved a completely new main computer, which also did nothing. I have no idea where the root of the problem is, but it's not in the main computer.

#21 ·
The colored ambient lighting was the one setting for me that 100% of the time would f up. Everything else varied in frequency. I explained that to the dealer and used it to test whether their repairs fixed it or not before I left their lot, but I always got ignored, reassured that it was indeed fixed, and sent home.

#22 ·
OP - thanks for the valuable input!
Hitherto the only difference between the two profiles has been the seat and mirrors but after reading your earlier post I changed my dash theme and ambient lighting (although that is difficult to discern in daylight). So, I'll keep and eye on those settings too. One problem we have is we live in Tucson, AZ - bought the car in Phoenix and will be taking the car for service in Palatine, IL before returning to Tucson at the end of the summer - so, coordinating between dealers could be an issue if this goes on for a while :(

Thanks again for the feedback even though you don't have a dog in this fight anymore.

#24 ·
I would agree were it not for the fact that the issue first arose immediately after the first upgrade last November (or so) and now after the latest upgrade the issue is even worse - before the seat would always move within 30 seconds or so now it's random if it moves at all. OTOH the OP's reporting the a new main board plus a complete reset didn't address the issue supports your position that it's an environmental problem.

#31 ·
Another data point. After the OP mentioned that the ambient lighting was another setting that didn't change correctly I updated my profile with non default lighting and selected cluster theme B while my wife's profile remained with the defaults. Now, when starting the car and switching to my profile, the radio switches to my last station as it always did but the cluster theme, lighting and seat continue to reflect my wife's settings. However, if I switch back to her profile the radio will switch, but then switch to my profile will cause all the setting to be updated to mine!
So, now I have something that's definitive and demonstratable to the dealer. What I haven't figured out is how long it is after turning the engine off before the problem arises.

#32 ·
I'll also add a data point that this started happening to me after doing the nav software update a few months ago. The one that added the full width Android Auto functionality. I have a 2021 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

When it fails to update my seat position, etc when I switch profiles after starting the car, I found that this works a little over half the time. I will go into the settings and switch the profile to my wife's, then back to mine. It usually updates correctly after that.
That is annoying and takes too long for something that does not work 100%. So I just set my seat position in the #2 seat memory slot for my wife's profile, and her seat position as #2 in my profile. That's been working for now.

I figured it must have been a newly introduced software bug from that previous update. It's been annoying but I haven't gone out of my way to complain to Hyundai yet. I figured it'll probably get fixed in the next software update.

#34 ·
I'll also add a data point that this started happening to me after doing the nav software update a few months ago. The one that added the full width Android Auto functionality. I have a 2021 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

When it fails to update my seat position, etc when I switch profiles after starting the car, I found that this works a little over half the time. I will go into the settings and switch the profile to my wife's, then back to mine. It usually updates correctly after that.
That is annoying and takes too long for something that does not work 100%. So I just set my seat position in the #2 seat memory slot for my wife's profile, and her seat position as #2 in my profile. That's been working for now.

I figured it must have been a newly introduced software bug from that previous update. It's been annoying but I haven't gone out of my way to complain to Hyundai yet. I figured it'll probably get fixed in the next software update.
OP again. Mine started doing it a few months after we bought it new in April 2020 (early covid). The vehicle history shows a software update prior to us receiving the car, but I cannot say that my problems were linked to a software updated. Updating the software was one of their attempted fixes and it changed nothing.

#36 ·
2020 Sonata Limited.

How do you "select [your] profile and then have to "use the memory button on the door"? My can only has one button for selecting settings.

#38 ·
Another data point. I discovered if I get into the car after my wife drove it last that when the "Select Profile" screen appears then, rather than select my profile, let it timeout and then pick Select Profile from the main screen and then select my profile the seat will move immediately to my position. This works 100% of the time at the expense of waiting for the the timeout ~20s.

#39 ·
@M3xD, I tried your suggestion and it has worked for me multiple times. If The driver is not the last user of the car, let it ”go past“ the select profile screen and then after waiting for it to load all the setting, pick your profile from the main screen. This cant possibly be the way they intended, but it works. I hope Hyundai knows of the issue and fixed it, it is a pain in the ass. I did not have the issue before the last update

#41 ·
Had the service appt today. Gave the service manager a one sheet description of how the seats and profiles were setup, how the system functioned prior to the s/w update, the problem since and the workaround.
After 90 minutes SM reported that it was fixed. Service notes stated that the tech had confirmed the issue,then performed a CAP Reset which reset all computers and confirmed the system now operated as expected. Stupidly I believed him and drove home without testing. After arriving home I waited 4 minutes (I found this is the shorted time you have to wait for the system to shutdown and then fail), started the car switched profile and nothing - seat didn’t move cluster theme didn’t change.

I then tried the System Reset from the Setup -> General -> System Info screen. That wiped out both profiles but upon reading them the problem persisted.
After googling some more I found the is a hidden Engineering menu that you can get to by:
Turn radio to FM, volume to 2. Go to settings -> general, go to the software info tab. Tap 5 times just to the left of the Update button, then once to the right of it. That should bring up a password prompt, 2702 worked for me. Once there there is a Factory Reset option under the Variant Coding menu option. Press that and confirm, after a few minutes the new profile screen appears just as it did the day you bought the car. After setting up both profiles the system now moves the seat 13 seconds after switching profiles - just like it should!

#42 ·
I performed the factory reset and then rebuilt my wife’s and my profile. It did indeed work twice! If I go back to the original suggestion and wait for the one screen prompt at start up times out, and then go to change user, it works every time. Apparently the pop up start up screen does not work properly to actually change the user. It was still a PIA to reload my FM and XM stations, and other setting again after the reset. I wont do it again until Hyundai fixes the issue.

#43 ·
Sorry, j should have updated my post. It worked for us for 5 days or so - maybe 4 changes of driver. Then it stopped working when switching back to primary (wife) but still works for me.
I did persuade my dealer to forward my problem description to Hyundai - I’ll update if I get any feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.